3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New string and now noise no matter..  (Read 1379 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
New string and now noise no matter..
« on: December 06, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »
I'm shooting a black widow kb 58 inch 50 lbs...old string was little over year old so I twisted up a new 12 strand d97 string. Prior to this the bow was quiet and smooth..have nock set and.brace height are the same as old string. Shooting it sounds like arrows are slapping against the riser or shelf arrow flight is good just noisey now. I have changed brace height all up and down the spectrum along with nock setting I can not get the noise or even figure out where it's coming from as shelf isn't showing any marks. I'm open for help or suggestions as to what to.do

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New string and now noise no matter..
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »
Have you tried putting the old string back on? May sound redundant but may help eliminate the string materials. No, I am not a fan of D-97. I had a “experience “ like your having with my Bear TD. Changed material and bow was quite with just cat whiskers.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:47:26 PM »
Yes I have put the old string back on and it's quiet but it's made from d97 also ..that's what has me ok uzzled

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 06:59:25 PM »
Same # of strands and serving size on both strings? thinking nock fit tight on new string.
shoot straight shoot often

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 07:09:56 PM »
Same number of strands serving size not sure but it's close....would to tight of nock on serving cause arrow.ro.slap riser or the shelf? I know a.dumb question haven't had this issue before

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 07:40:13 PM »
I think the stock strings are 14 strand?Pretty sure but not positive.They used to be I think.But maybe they have changed

Too tight of nocks can cause more noise to answer your question.Maybe you could reserve with smaller serving if possible.Or sand nocks with emery file to widen them.

You might just order another string from Widow if you cant solve the problem.

I shot 8 strand SBD Silent But Deadly Bowstrings with wool puffs on my Widows.I was really happy with those on the Widows.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 09:47:53 PM »
For some.reason I'm thinking the strings are. Ow 12 strand  ..I had a new widow string  which I put on shot it few times it appears to have silenced the noise ..so now I'm wondering what diameter serving I need to.get..surprising to me as I've never had that issue on a new string before....thanks for everyone's help

Bisch

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 09:21:33 AM »
If you have silencers in the string, have you tried changing their location on the string??? Sometimes that can make a difference.

Bisch

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »
I've been following this with interest, because I had no idea what the answer might be when I first read the question.  The advice to sand or widen a nock is a good one, to find out if that solves the problem.  If it does, then go slow on sanding many more nocks, because the serving will naturally thin out as it is used.  Probably after a couple of hundred arrows, the sound will start coming back to normal.  Of course, if the serving is really tight, you may have to reserve with thinner serving.  I use a 3 under grip, so I like my nocks a little tighter than a split-finger shooter might.  On a new string, my nocks will go on the string with a noticeable snap, but they aren't hard to put on or pull off the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 10:29:22 AM »
First of all I have to make a correction steelhead is correct blackwidows come with 14 strand strings..I talked to blackwidow and I will make another string and make it 14 and see if that is a problem..thinking maybe string is little light but it's all a guess now...when I get it figured out I will let you know..

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
Well I think I have found the issue with the noise, something real simple and stupid on my part. I noticed a little side plate wear and after shooting and having buddy listen to things I started realizing that I was torquing my bow in my left hand when I didn't pull thru....Everytime I pull thru I have no sound of arrow hitting side plate and all is good..just can't believe the problem was me..lol

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 01:41:59 PM »
 :bigsmyl:

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
Oh crap! Fixing the problem with me may be harder than just moving my cat whiskers around.
It does seem sometimes when I hold my bow tighter I get less noise.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©