3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 40# bows- 10gpp?  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
40# bows- 10gpp?
« on: December 07, 2020, 07:26:07 AM »
Went down to Nixa and picked up a new PSA

Been a few years since I shot traditional, and I am wanting to do it right this time.

Going to lean on what I learned in Rod Jenkins class, plus the teachings from Tom Clum's class (ordering soon).

I'm going to put my focus on form and learning gap shooting.

My question- with my 40# bow, is 10gpp arrow weight sufficient for whitetails, or should I shoot a heavier arrow?

Looking at 600 spine full length Beman Centershot shot off a rest, standard aluminum insert and 160 grain heads, should get me just over 400 grains.

Eventually ill buy heavier limbs to hunt with, mainly want to get my form perfected with an easier to draw bow vs being over bowed and creating form issues.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 40# bows- 10gpp?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 08:29:16 AM »
Short answer- perfect. Look up 40-45# bow harvest pictures post.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:09:37 AM »
I wouldn't worry about anything other than getting perfect arrow flight. For me, my 43 lb PMA wound up at 13 gpp. But I also draw 32", so that's probably not an apples to apples comparison. I have buddies who shoot 400-450 from 40-45 lb bows and kill plenty of animals though.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Bisch

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:09:52 AM »
I think those would work just fine on any whitetail. As we all know, proper tuning and shot placement are the main keys to success!!! 

Bisch

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
I have set ups at 9.2 gpp and 10.2 gpp. Good arrow flight and sharp heads normally give me two holes.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »
I had bow recently custom made for same reasons as you mostly.Its 40 pounds at 28.I draw it about 28.Its cut to center.Its a triple carbon Centaur.I have been shooting Easton aluminum 1916s with 150 grain points and arrows are 29 and 1/2 inches.The shaft is 10 grains per inch.With points and feathers they weigh about 475.Very happy with the performance and easy to tune as aluminum typically is when you pick the right shaft to begin with.

I think the 600s will be about right in carbon when you get them tuned to length and point weight and insert weight.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 06:53:40 PM »
I absolutely attempt to avoid the gray areas. A well tuned arrow, sharp head and well placed arrow will produce excellent results with very light arrows. The reality, more often than not, is having an arow placement on whitetails different from the intended mark.

Have guided numerous successful whitetail trad hunts with hunters using actual draw wts from 40 to 42#s and arrows over 500 gn. Pass thrus have been the norm and have had adequate penetration in other vital marked areas.

Hunters are often concerned more with reducing the arrow trajectory than focusing on improving their own skills. The realm of opportunity to improve our own skills is vast as compared to compiling all the other areas of opportunity such as a faster arrow, the best BH, the best string and over-all arrow design and so on.

Have hunted numerous times with a gentleman that is the only individual featured in North American Whitetail seven times. He is a 7 time Traditional World 3D champion. He shoots 12 gpp on the 3D range and in the field. Another good friend, who ranks in the top 3, also shoots heavy gpp during 3D competitions.

Research and you will find that the vast majority of successful veteran trad hunters, themselves, do not tread in the lower areas of arrow weight for the game they pursue.

Not an any way attempting to discredit the former comments. Your intended arrow will work. As humans, we are prone to quickly grasp as a solid choice when are presented with the answer we want to hear.

The quarry we are so gifted to pursue deserve nothing short of our best efforts.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 08:02:48 PM »
I typically fall in the 10-11 or so in everything from mid 30’s to low 40s.  I don’t start out looking for a specific weight, just a perfect (for me) tune.  I’ve never had an issue.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 10:15:10 PM »
Beman Centershot 600, 50 grain brass insert, and 150 grain broadhead, that's what was recommended for my Toelke Pika, and I'm not arguing a bit, 40# at 28" LW Helical, and I pull around 27".
Mostly I use 45 spine POC with 150 grain broadhead, and that seems just perfect to me.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
I'm looking at a few different shafts at this point before I order test kits.

All would be full length with regular aluminum inserts.

Easton Axis trad, Beman Centershot and victory V-Force (standard diameter)

Only drawback to the Axis trad arrows is I would need to foot them with aluminum over the HIT inserts. The Beman and Victory are standard diameter so probably not necessary with the right glue.

The intent is to gap shoot and I am designing the arrow around the broadhead I want to use, Palmer Extreme 4 blade (or VPA 3 blade 150)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »
I never foot my Axis trads and they're plenty tough as is. Just don't go shooting rocks with them.
Malachi C.

Bisch

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »
I shoot FMJ’s with brass HIT inserts. I have never footed them. I have no problem with durability of the front end of my arrows!

Bisch

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
I often hunt with bows from 39# to 42# because of a previously torn rotator cuff.  My preferred arrows weigh 410gr so thats basically exactly 10gpp.  I have had zero issues with whitetail sized critters.  As was said above, I honestly believe that achieving excellent arrow flight is MORE important that arrow weight in the penetration equation for light bows.  Also, you can downsize your fletching quite a bit once you get dart-like arrow flight and that saves on downrange velocity.  With a properly tuned 40# modern trad bow and a 400gr arrow,  I would expect to see complete pass-throughs on deer when I don't hit a shoulder.

Matt

Offline smag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 04:10:56 PM »
Dont like 600's at all. Go to 500's leave full length. My minimum arrow total weight with a glass bow and carbons is 425grn. Been a good while since I arrow a deer with a glass bow though.

smag-HH~
RLTW~

MAFA: Making America Free Again~

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 08:36:15 PM »
Nice setup smag

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 10:25:10 PM »
Shot some bareshafts tonight at the bow shop at 20 yards.

Axis traditional, aluminum inserts, 150 grain points, both full length 500 and 600 spine.

Both shafts were showing nock left (weak spine) all the way to the target....some impacted to the right, some were closer to the middle.

I want 2 shoot full length shafts for GAP shooting.

There's no way I'd need a 400 spine right?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:39:23 PM by Iowabowhunter »

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 09:40:15 AM »
Depends on your draw length.  I'm certain that 600s are too weak.  I shoot 28.5" 500s with 175 points and they become too weak for me at about 47-48 pounds on my modern higher performance bows.  I shoot 420 spine for 3D arrows and I have a set of 400s that I shoot with my bows over high 40s so my answer to your question is "yes".....if you have a good release and are shooting a higher performance bow, there is absolutely a good chance you'll need 400s, especially if you leave them full length.

Matt

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 12:02:15 PM »
Depends on your draw length.  I'm certain that 600s are too weak.  I shoot 28.5" 500s with 175 points and they become too weak for me at about 47-48 pounds on my modern higher performance bows.  I shoot 420 spine for 3D arrows and I have a set of 400s that I shoot with my bows over high 40s so my answer to your question is "yes".....if you have a good release and are shooting a higher performance bow, there is absolutely a good chance you'll need 400s, especially if you leave them full length.

Matt

Thanks for the post. I think my form and release are good.

Just getting back into trad, and am starting day 1 of Mr. Clums archery course.

I'm going to wait to order a bunch of shafts until I know my form isn't the issue causing a weak arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »

Axis traditional, aluminum inserts, 150 grain points, both full length 500 and 600 spine.

Both shafts were showing nock left (weak spine) all the way to the target....some impacted to the right, some were closer to the middle.

It all depends. I'd buy two Axis trad 340's and two Axis Trad 400's and just fletch them and shoot for a while. You gotta have good enough form to fine tune arrows, but that PSA is going to take a stiff arrow. For future reference, I am shooting full length 340's with 275 up front our of my PMA (64" 43@32").
Malachi C.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »

It all depends. I'd buy two Axis trad 400's and two Axis Trad 400's and just fletch them and shoot for a while. You gotta have good enough form to fine tune arrows, but that PSA is going to take a stiff arrow. For future reference, I am shooting full length 340's with 275 up front our of my PMA (64" 43@32").

I was playing around with the 3rivers spine calculator deal, showing full length 340's would spine the best, whether that's an Axis Trad, one of 3 rivers trad only shafts etc. Wild to think about. Not sure I'm going to find a carbon arrow light enough to get me down to 450 grains unless I shoot a little puny 100 grain head!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:20:52 PM by Iowabowhunter »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©