3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shrew/javaman vs bw pma  (Read 1544 times)

Online dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
shrew/javaman vs bw pma
« on: December 07, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
Ok so I currently own and shoot a bw pma and absolutely love it. However, at 60" I struggle to shoot it out of a blind, which is what most of my trad bowhunting is and will be. I am considering switching to a shrew lil favorite, elkheart, helms deep, etc. for blind hunting. My draw length is 27" and I plan to stay in the 40-50lbs range. Has anyone shot both and could give me pros and cons to my idea? I can only really afford to have one or the other so if I need to just keep practicing in my blind or invest in a bigger blind just say so. I know everyone's opinion is different, but I would still like to know what everyone thinks...thanks
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: shrew/javaman vs bw pma
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
A new blind would be cheaper!

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »
I've got a hidden hunter blind and have shot stuff with a 64" longbow. Seems a 60" would work unless you're just in the market for a new bow :biglaugh: I ain't judging!

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:20:50 AM »
Shorter limbs?

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »
Those bows are totally different styles. You may find you don't shoot them as well as the Widow (or vice versa, if you just want an excuse for a new bow). I'd really suggest a bigger blind to start with. A 60" bow is short enough for a good blind.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 10:51:56 AM »
I’m in the new blind camp. Build one yourself, then you can make it however big it needs to be. I have found almost all pop up blinds too small for my liking. Plus, it seems most all blind mfgrs put the windows too high (no doubt they are designed for wheel bow shooters). I have several homemade blinds, and a couple of manufactured shell blinds. I shoot my 64” bows out of them with plenty of room. I could shoot a 70” bow from my homemade Christmas Tree blind!

Bisch

Online dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »
Now that's a great idea! love that blind!
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
I have a couple of different ground blinds. Both a hidden Hunter and a double Bull. I’ve taken Critters from both of them and they’re both effective. However I think they are long term, single spot solutions and not run and gun. This year, at our annual deer camp. I had the pleasure of trying out a 54 inch Super Shrew Classic Hunter II.  It was so handy and shot extremely well at my 28 inch draw.I made several natural ground blinds and it was fantastic way to Hunt. If you do decide to go the new bow route, the 52 or 54 inch length Super Shrew Classic Hunter II at your draw length would be great and you would have a boatload of fun in tight quarters with it. Good luck.

Here’s a couple of my quick setups that brought me close encounters.  Just a pair of clippers and zip ties is all and my Waldrop Pack seat.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
Bisch,

What’s the dimensions on that beauty?
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Bisch

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »
Bisch,

What’s the dimensions on that beauty?

It’s been a while since I built that one, but if I remember correctly, it’s 6.5’ high at the back and 7’ in the front. The floor is about 6’ front to back and 7’ side to side. I built this one extra big so I could take my son with me. Now he lives in another state, so it is just more room for me!

Bisch

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »
I like it
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
The shrew/Javaman are very light as far as mass weight, especially compared to a pma. I love my Javaman bows. If you like your widow, switch to a shorter pch model.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 12:06:02 PM »
Javaman all the way.  New bows are great.  New blinds are boring.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »
The shrew/Javaman are very light as far as mass weight, especially compared to a pma. I love my Javaman bows. If you like your widow, switch to a shorter pch model.

X2

The Shrew/Javaman and BW PMA could not be more different... BW PCH or KB would be a great transition for shorter bow. I shoot a 54” KB at 27-5/8” draw that is sweet. A 54” or 56” PCH would also be sweet.  Not disrespecting the Javaman but those bows are light as a feather which some love, but for me mass weight is more forgiving...

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »
Wow.... those bows are all different(and all good)... you might want to reconsider... new blind would be your best bet no matter if its boring or not.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 12:16:24 AM »
Opps, wrong picture that's my 66" David Miller Hill style bow.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©