3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All Carbon Riser??  (Read 1941 times)

Offline TwistedHollow

• Trad Bowhunter
All Carbon Riser??
« on: December 08, 2020, 02:03:51 AM »
I was doing some thinking and wanted to see some others input. Why hasn’t there been a all carbon riser made for traditional bows? I’m guessing it would have to be a ILF riser. That seems to be the going rage with all the compound manufactures. They say it’s just as durable and takes up more vibration than any other material. I’m sure mass weight would be low and would need addressed some how. Just wondering why it hasn’t been done yet for traditional archery. Maybe it has but I haven’t heard of it. Not trying to create a argument over what’s traditional, just open for conversation in these colder days ahead.  :coffee:

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All Carbon Riser??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:38 AM »
A&H did have an all carbon riser on their 3 piece longbow.Dont think they offer it anymore.Not sure though.Compounds might have got wind of that and copied it?

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 06:47:40 AM »
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:56:44 AM »

Offline TwistedHollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
Well I guess a little bit of more investigation would of revealed this to me  :knothead:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »
Personally, I don't see the advantage.  Carbon has real advantages when the item has to work, like bow limbs or fishing rods, but a riser or fishing rod handle primarily needs to be strong and stable.  A little extra weight helps with the stability part.  Might have to add extra weight to a carbon riser to get there.  I'm sure the two risers shown in the links above are fine risers, just not something I would be interested in.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 05:54:13 PM »
The one I shot , a Black Wolf, with Border limbs was a recurve on steroids. I was actually surprised how heavy it was. I would have thought it would have been lite like my Bear Mag riser.

Offline John Sullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 09:20:12 PM »
There are several ILF risers that are all carbon.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 08:41:31 AM »
I just bought a PSE X3 carbon riser.... turns out it is a rebranded Kaya K3 riser.... I paired it with a set of Akusta carbon/foam limbs..... It shoots nice, but it doesnt really have any attributes that I would call superior to a quality machined riser..... I like the styling of the carbon riser.  It reminds me of the smooth flowing designs of the early 80s cast magnesium risers.... which is also the attraction of warf risers.... this carbon riser it will make a great 3D bow..... but nothing can beat carrying a pound and a half wood longbow in the woods....
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
I have the Black Wolf and it is a VERY nice riser.  I'm looking to put long bow limbs on it for this next year.  :coffee:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »
I also shot the Black Wolf riser with Border limbs. Really not my cup of tea. Fast,yeah but that was about it.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline TwistedHollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 04:28:30 AM »
A longbow sure has a way of just flowing through the woods especially when going through brush  :archer:

I just bought a PSE X3 carbon riser.... turns out it is a rebranded Kaya K3 riser.... I paired it with a set of Akusta carbon/foam limbs..... It shoots nice, but it doesnt really have any attributes that I would call superior to a quality machined riser..... I like the styling of the carbon riser.  It reminds me of the smooth flowing designs of the early 80s cast magnesium risers.... which is also the attraction of warf risers.... this carbon riser it will make a great 3D bow..... but nothing can beat carrying a pound and a half wood longbow in the woods....

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 12:30:40 AM »
Another vote for the Black Wolf. I have the trad tech carbon Extreme Long limbs which makes a light 62" bow.

Offline BillyfromSuperior

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Fellow Archer
    • TraditionalArchery.website
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 06:03:44 PM »
I think it would be to lite for my taste. I like Linen based Micarta. Like on the Bob Lee HardCores or the Bear "Black beauty"
the Bear was a paper base though.
Love carbon on my Hoyt Element though.

Length of the riser/handle, is ?, #-2-?  is deflex/reflex? Then I would go to length of total bow and brace height.
If its target stuff? A long 64" 68" bow could work well. Or a little short (52" or so) stalker? Its all good.

Good brain food here.
"Happy to be here and glad to be alive"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©