3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cock feather in ?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
cock feather in ?
« on: December 12, 2020, 09:37:25 AM »
why would shooting cock feather in give better arrow flight ? and, what is the positioning of the fletching ? I do get better arrow flight this way, and my fletching is almost at 3 O'clock, seems as though it would give worse arrow flight....Gary

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: cock feather in ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 09:48:48 AM »
I use a Jo-Jan right wing fletch. When I shoot the bow the bottom hen feather rubs on the shelf out side edge and the arrow gets a little flip up and out, it straightenedsmout and flys good. I turn the cock feather in and it shoots fine no rub.

Some will say it's an arrow issue tuning but with a stick on rest I can shoot cock feather out and all is OK.

I have another her gig (can't remember name) which is left wing and I have no problems shooting off the shelf.

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »
why would shooting cock feather in give better arrow flight ? and, what is the positioning of the fletching ? I do get better arrow flight this way, and my fletching is almost at 3 O'clock, seems as though it would give worse arrow flight....Gary
I switched to a 3 o'clock cock feather (right hand shooter) too and I am  getting better flight.
I'm thinking it has to do with the amount of paradox and the timing of the paradox. Maybe the nock end (the cock feather) is moved far enough away from the window and the hen feather is out beyond the shelf??
There's probably a lot of variables involved. Center cut, brace height, spine selection, poundage, nock tightness on the string, and form are all interacting. It's very dynamic. I can shoot the arrow with the cock in either position with good results but it seems that its less critical of my form at 3 o'clock. Heck, I get decent flight with the cock at 12, too.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »
Some think that leaving a gap between the shelf plate and the side plate gives the 4 oclock hen feather clearance.  But with a properly tuned arrow, by the time that feather is at the riser it has flexed.  If its going to contact the bow it will often contact the outside of the shelf--- the four oclock hen feather can kick off the outside of the shelf causing issues..  A few causes--- arrow not tuned, shelf is too wide, nocking point too low, fletching profile too high, or possibly the release.
Cock feather in pretty much eliminates the chance of fletching contact, since the two hen feathers are now on the outside.  Your arrow flexes to where the cock feather is nowhere near the riser ( unless arrow is really off in spine) and the two hen feathers are out of the equation.
Cock feather in just makes sense.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
rifleman x 2.  He covers it all.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
Rifleman x 3
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »
How much helical, the length of the feather or vane, and the diameter of the arrow shaft all contribute as variables to obtain the optimum nock rotation for clearance off the shelf or arrow rest.   
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 12:07:16 PM »
If you are using wood arrows it's probably because you have the cock feather on the stiff side or the arrow. The stiff side goes against the bow. Spine check both sides of the arrow to see which side is the stiff side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 12:32:17 PM »
I shoot left wing, fletched in my JoJan multi fletcher. Occasionally I have an arrow that shows some feather wear. If it’s a wood I figure I didn’t glue the nock on properly. If it’s a carbon or aluminum I just twist the nock a tad. I don’t always check to see if I have the cock feather out or in anyway. I believe it was the tuning video by Black Widow that mentioned their preferred way of turning the nock to help with arrow clearance. I tried it but didn’t notice any diff.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 08:22:36 PM »
I typically shoot cock feather in RH RW, but RH LW I shoot cock feather out just fine normally...some set ups it makes no difference

Offline Will Telluteyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »
I shoot wood arrows and set them up so the stiff side is against the bow and the cock feather in. Works for me. You need a spine tester to make sure your getting the stiff side of the arrows against the bow.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
I shoot cock feather out but......... every now and then I make up some wood arrows that have an under performer in the bunch. I can turn it cock feather in and it may shoot just fine. 

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
If I have a wood arrow(commercial dowel, hardwood shoot or cane)that doesn't shoot well my first step is to flip it over so the cock feather is in. Like Eric said...it may shoot fine with the cock feather in. If not, it may shoot fine from another bow or it becomes a fluflu.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 05:16:20 PM »
I shoot cock feather in when using trad vanes off the shelf. If using feathers cock feather in or out doesnt really matter.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »
Cock feather in. 

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 06:12:45 PM »
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline JC Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »
Yep, rifleman just about covered it all.  About the only time cock-in helps flight is because of contact. It's been my observation that most "traditional" shooters use arrows that are waaaaay too stiff.

Here's what a "properly" tuned arrow looks like as it passes the riser.    :)

"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 10:50:54 PM »
...and that is from a true center shot bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 05:47:10 AM »
I've shot 2, 3, and 4 fletch... anyway it shows up... no flight difference what so ever. None. Just ask the dead pigs.  :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 06:28:28 AM »
Ha! Seriously, I heard it was a form issue, i.e. torquing the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©