3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Setting a clicker  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Tdaniels

• Trad Bowhunter
Setting a clicker
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:18:42 AM »
 I’m new to clickers , but would like to try one on a 58” whistler . My question is , where do you want it to click? At the very end of expansion or sooner ? Thanks for the previous help too !

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Setting a clicker
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »
It takes a little tinkering to get it just right but ultimately you want it to click at full expansion. It's a very fine line but worth the effort to get it right.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:24:05 AM »
As Knobby stated, clickers were designed to be used as a trigger for the shot: when you reach full expansion, the clicker goes off and you automatically release the shot without thinking about it.  This is how a person who uses a dynamic release would use a clicker.

However, clickers are also useful as a draw check: to ensure that you have reached full draw, and don't creep.  If you creep, the clicker will click again on the way down.  This is most useful for those who use a dead release, where there is no backward movement of the arrow at the point of release.  The shooter draws the bow and expands until the clicker clicks.  After the clicker clicks, the shooter locks off and holds without losing back tension until the shot is released via a subconscious release or some kind of external non-anticipatory psychotrigger.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Shug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:02:14 AM »
I’m new to clickers , but would like to try one on a 58” whistler . My question is , where do you want it to click? At the very end of expansion or sooner ? Thanks for the previous help too !

When set up and used correctly the clicker  (clickety click / cricket )should go off a little bit after full anchor

Using one correctly takes lots of work. The biggest problem I see guys making is

Expanding / motoring / pulling ( how ever you want to describe it) to the click.

The correct way is to (pull ) to your conclusion of your shot. The clicker should be set to go off  just a tad past your anchor.

Just because it’s what I use as a conclusion I’ll describe it here as I do it.
My conclusion is touching my shoulder. There are several different conclusions find what you like best.

So for my shot I come to full draw every aspect of my shot from stance to grip to anchor, head placement,  motor and conclusion are done in graining them to muscle memory on a blank bale from 5 feet.

Literally thousands of shots later the entire shot sequence happens with no thought to anything but the spot you want to hit.

In my opinion aiming isn’t something you do at full draw it’s something that happens for a micro second in time,when your brain tells your body everything is perfect and your body goes through the act of expansion/ pulling with no thought.

I’ve been shooting clickers for 30 years. I was fortunate to have worked for one of the greatest archery minds ever Len Cardinale .

As for setting the clicker a couple other tips one is you can micro adjust the location of the click by sliding the string up or down in your bowstring and find the location within an 8 th of an inch that feels best for you. Another is go on Amazon and order a couple of dog training clickers ( pic enclosed)

Replace the clickety click tab... you’ll need to drill a little bigger hole in the existing one to make it fit but  it’s well worth the effort.

I would normally go through 3/4 clickers a year with this new type it’s lasted me two years... in fact pm me and I’ll send you one. I order way too many.. lol

Lastly don’t be afraid to cover it with moleskin. I’ve gotten mine to where I feel the click in my fingers more than hear it.

Sorry for rambling on...

Offline Shug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:05:11 AM »

Online Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 08:31:55 AM »
Shug how are you attaching the clicker to the bowstring? I've replaced the chain and string that come with the clicker to d braid material( d loop cord ). I split my bowstring and place clicker cord through it. Should I tie a knot on the end of the clicker cord to hold it in place? Thanks

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
I just put a clicker on a few days ago and am having troubles also. One problem i'm having is I can hardly hear it
(Crick-it brand) anyone know a way to make it louder, I am a little hard of hearing or so I have been told many times a day by Mrs. Also after a few shots it seems I have to pull farther and I'm sure nothing is moving. If I shorten the string the 1st time I pick up the bow I trigger the click before I settle into my for my shot. Any thoughts?
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »
SS I have the same issues sometimes. Seems first shot goes off quick. Second, third, fourth shots are good and then i struggle to make it pop. I assume it's fatigue. If I rest or only shoot one arrow at a time and then retrieve it I'm much more consistent.

Offline Shug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 11:03:49 AM »
Shug how are you attaching the clicker to the bowstring? I've replaced the chain and string that come with the clicker to d braid material( d loop cord ). I split my bowstring and place clicker cord through it. Should I tie a knot on the end of the clicker cord to hold it in place? Thanks

I also split the string .. I don’t tie it in a knot any more  I get it set as close as possible to perfect then burn the tag end as it burns close to the bowstring I pat it out and flatten it against the string. It hardens and won’t slip back through.

When I make my final micro adjustment I just serve it in the exact location to avoid any sliding.

Offline Shug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 11:14:39 AM »
I just put a clicker on a few days ago and am having troubles also. One problem i'm having is I can hardly hear it
(Crick-it brand) anyone know a way to make it louder, I am a little hard of hearing or so I have been told many times a day by Mrs. Also after a few shots it seems I have to pull farther and I'm sure nothing is moving. If I shorten the string the 1st time I pick up the bow I trigger the click before I settle into my for my shot. Any thoughts?

Post your email and I’ll send pics of the new ones I use as I said previously they last ridiculously long compared to the cricket metal tabs. They are noisier but I silence them down with mole skin.

Online Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 11:18:47 AM »
Thanks shugs! [email protected] for a pic of the newer models.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »
Thanks Shugs.  Could I get the link too please.
[email protected]

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 06:45:20 PM »
Torn up my share could I get the link. [email protected] Thanks

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 05:40:30 PM »
Can you send me the link at [email protected].  Thanks.  Ken

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 01:39:42 PM »

Post your email and I’ll send pics of the new ones I use as I said previously they last ridiculously long compared to the cricket metal tabs. They are noisier but I silence them down with mole skin.
[/quote]

[email protected]

Offline Mark Zagrzebski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
Would be interested in the link also, [email protected]

Thanks,
Mark

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »
Shug,
I would be interested in the link and pics as well please. 
Are you using the body of the clicker and just replacing the metal blade with the plastic one from the dog clicker?  I have a new Black Widow on order and need to get a clicker on the way for when it arrives.
Thanks,
Gary
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:50:10 PM by Flingblade »

Online bobm

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »
Shug,
I would appreciate the link and pic also. [email protected]

Bob

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 01:55:37 PM »
Tdaniels, 
The best instructor on using a clicker or any other type of shot trigger is Joel Turner.  He used to be on here as clickerman but I haven't seen him post in awhile.  I took a seminar from him back in 2012.  He still does in person seminars but also offers on-line courses and has a book available.  He is an excellent teacher.  You can find all that at his website www.shotiq.com

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 07:26:50 PM »
I don't know how most people use them.  But I use them the way I see olympic shooters use them.  Draw, hold at anchor, adjust sight picture as needed, expand until you hear the click & relax the string hand to let the arrow fly.

I think it's easy to get caught up in thinking about what is the right vs wrong way to use a tool instead of ways that work or don't work.  Any system will work if you work it.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©