3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Expert bowyer eyes needed  (Read 2283 times)

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Expert bowyer eyes needed
« on: December 14, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »
Hi All,
About 2 years ago, I ordered a custom bow. I finally had the opportunity to shoot it more than once here and there. During the past sessions, i have had the string come off the bow while the arrow was being released. This has happened 4 times now. At first I thought that I had somehow rigged it wrong. Since the string came back and cut my left wrist,(i'm right handed) and left a couple of welts, I made sure that the string was properly secured and centered in the notch as well as checking the brace height every single time. Still, this is the third time the string has come off, despite checking everything and even changing string. I know that there are expert bowyers on this site and want to get feedback on the notches specifically. Do you see anything wrong with one of them or both? This is getting to be frustating and its' starting to create bad shooting habits.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Expert bowyer eyes needed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »
Recurve or longbow?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 06:04:19 PM »
reflex deflex longbow

Offline jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 06:13:13 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but I have built a few. I'm guessing that is a recurve. The top picture looks like the nocks were not cut in evenly. That will eventually result in severe limb twist, which can cause the string to jump off. Also, from the picture it appears the nocks were filed at a 90°. That is why you have those cracks in the glass. I'd be surprised if your string loops aren't  badly frayed. Eventually you are going to get moisture in there and have a delamination at the tip. I'd get a new bow.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but I have built a few. I'm guessing that is a recurve. The top picture looks like the nocks were not cut in evenly. That will eventually result in severe limb twist, which can cause the string to jump off. Also, from the picture it appears the nocks were filed at a 90°. That is why you have those cracks in the glass. I'd be surprised if your string loops aren't  badly frayed. Eventually you are going to get moisture in there and have a delamination at the tip. I'd get a new bow.
Seems your advice is correct but couldn’t the angle of filing be feathered in at this point and the shoulders evened out? Also, Frog send this post to the Boyers Bench forum for more advice. Sure hope you hear what you want to!

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 06:38:38 PM »
thank you. Much appreciated.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 06:39:10 PM »
Is the limb twisting as the bow is drawn?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
not as far as i can tell

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »
Besides what has already been said, you might be torqueing the bow handle causing the limbs to turn, hence unstringing itself.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 07:00:14 PM »
What does the other side of limb nocks look like?

Also do you have a picture looking down the string belly side from one end to the other when it is braced so we can see if the string runs down the center of bow?
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »
What does the other side of limb nocks look like?

Also do you have a picture looking down the string belly side from one end to the other when it is braced so we can see if the string runs down the center of bow?

What Kelly said..

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
Here you go. Thanks again for the help.

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 07:25:42 PM »
other batch of pics

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 07:31:35 PM »
The nocks could be worked a bit on the belly side of the bow.  I don't think they need to be made deeper, but the sharp edge/angle should be reduced.  It looks like the glass is already beginning to splinter on one of them.  That's a precursor to delamination. Reduce that angle and put a little super glue in the cracks if they remain.

How long is the bow and how long is your draw length?  If it's a short bow and if you have a very long draw length, you could just be pulling the string right out of the nocks at full draw. Of course, a severe torquing of the bow or a severely twisted limb could also cause the string to come off.  However, I don't see anything in the way the nocks are cut that would cause it.  String wear and potential delamination, yes, but not throwing the string.

One other thing.  Smaller loops would help keep the string on the bow.  Strings can go through some very unusual ocilations at the loose.  If the loops are big enough, that flopping around of the string (even though you can't see it) could cause the string to come off the bow. 

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 07:32:02 PM »
last pic

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »

How long is the bow and how long is your draw length?  If it's a short bow and if you have a very long draw length, you could just be pulling the string right out of the nocks at full draw. Of course, a severe torquing of the bow or a severely twisted limb could also cause the string to come off.  However, I don't see anything in the way the nocks are cut that would cause it.  String wear and potential delamination, yes, but not throwing the string.

One other thing.  Smaller loops would help keep the string on the bow.

Thanks for the tip, the bow is 56. #50 @ 28". I actually draw at 27-2.75

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 07:35:45 PM »
Pretty short, but I doubt your draw length is causing it. 

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
I don't think I torque it. I hold the bow with thumb and index and the 3 other fingers are seentially curved in, not grabing the bow.

Offline TNFrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 07:41:36 PM »

One other thing.  Smaller loops would help keep the string on the bow.  Strings can go through some very unusual ocilations at the loose.  If the loops are big enough, that flopping around of the string (even though you can't see it) could cause the string to come off the bow.

Duly noted. Thanks again

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
Loops are too Big on string. Try them where they’re just able to get over the nock.

When the string returns to brace its causing a forceful slack in the loops and then it will drop past brace before returning. So it’s causing the loops to slack and pop off. Simple fix

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©