3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for the multiple bow owners.... so everyone  (Read 2844 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for the multiple bow owners.... so everyone
« on: December 14, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
How do you decide what bow you are grabbing for the day or for that practical hunt? Do you set up all bows so they shoot the same or listen to the bow and adjust to shooting each one? I only have 2 bows right now a custom recurve and a self bow.  Ill be ordering a new custom in the next few days which will by far mean the most to me.  I truly dont see me shooting my other bow after i get the new but dont see me getting rid of it either.

Bisch

Re: Question for the multiple bow owners.... so everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 09:38:38 PM »
I own many bows, but I am a one bow man! By that, I mean I only practice and hunt with one. Right now, that bow is a Primal Tech takedown recurve. Once 3D season starts, I still only practice with my “one bow”, and then pull the longbow, selfbow, and composite bows out at the shoots so I can shoot more rounds.

I really should sell some of the ones I never shoot, but they all have sentimental value, and I just haven’t been able to make myself do it yet!!!

Bisch

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 10:21:33 PM »
I have three bows right now that I regularly shoot in the off- season.  But  then the bow that  I develop a confidence with will separate itself from the others.
I have had a few top end bows, and been successful with
some but haven't felt sentimental about any of them yet.

I guess I have been too busy looking for the perfect bow for an imperfect archer.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »
First off, don't try to tune a bow to the arrows.
Big mistake and frustrating.
I have several bow and 3 spines of arrows.
As far as whitch bow to grab; whatever floats my boat at the time.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 10:24:55 PM »
I don't flip flop around too much.I typically got 6 bows on the rack.Way less than I used to have.When not shooting them their exquisite wall Art.The rack can change depending on what I am up to.I like to play around with buying,selling and trading.Its a passion and kinda a hobby.More passion though since I am serious about it.

In my earlier days I had like 2 or 3 bows.A good traditional styled longbow and a good 50s style recurve and T.D recurve.All I think I would really need.Except one short brush,blind bow which is handy and I like to have and do have  most of the time these days.

I did collect bows a lot for a few decades.Slowed down a bit on that.But still get my kicks trying some bows out here and their.

I  typically shoot my hunting bow exclusively from Sept to the end of the Season.

Then I might pick another and enjoy it for awhile and go down the list and do the same essentially with all my bows .Their all good bows and fit me well or I would not have them.My bows don't collect too much dust.I rotate them around.

I shoot my main hunting bow the most annually.I gotta be in touch the most with that bow and the arrows I shoot out of it.Like an extension of myself.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 10:28:02 PM »
I usually hunt with what's in the truck.. I can take any of my bows at any time and be confident.

I only have 4 bows. Not too difficult.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline David Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Howard Hill Tembo
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 10:29:42 PM »
I have a bunch of recurves from the recurve days but I’m all longbows now. Specifically one single Tembo longbow. It’s the only bow I shoot year round. Same arrows same broadheads all the time. You can swap bows as much as you like but you’ll never reach your full potential or level of consistency. I’ve got several longbows and from time to time I’ll shoot a few arrows with one but everyday practice especially during bow season it’s one bow.

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 10:32:28 PM »
My two widows are setup nearly the same. As such, I can switch between them easily. They are point on the same...the PSA is a few feet faster than the PL but it’s not enough of a difference to make a noticeable difference in arrow trajectory at least at hunting and practice distances).

I decide which to take based on stand/blind clearances, which one matches my outfit, the phase of the moon.....just which ever one I want to.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 10:59:27 PM »
I've shot the same bow every day now for a year (what a year! My Covid bow).  I always used to switch bows every six weeks or so, but during the last year, every time I decided to switch to a different bow, I would switch back again after a time or two.  I haven't been hunting for a while, but when I go I have another bow I will use.  When I decide I want to shoot longbows again, I have several of them to choose from.  I have loaner bows for guests and relatives.  I have classic Bear Kodiaks that look good on the wall.  I have bows that I can't bear to part with that are too heavy for me now.  I have several bows that are very similar to the one I shoot every day, but none of them is my favorite now, although that could change tomorrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 12:07:15 AM »
I like to shoot all of my bows but I only have 3 or 4 that I shoot a lot, and right now only 2 that I shoot consistently enough to hunt with. One recurve and one longbow. They shoot a bit differently, but luckily they both like the same arrow so that makes things easier. If I want to switch, I just need to go spend 10-15 minutes recalibrating and I'm usually good to go from there. For a few years I had no choice and had to use my takedown since I had to leave it with public safety at school. Now I don't have to worry about that but have found that I shoot that bow the best at this point so that's what I use the most.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 12:39:39 AM »
I set all my bows to shoot the same. I look at the same place in the site window on each. I do shoot different arrows on those with different draw weight.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 01:55:07 AM »
I grab whatever I’ve been shooting last few days. I’d been primarily shooting longbows but hunted most this year with a whip, for some reason now season is over I’ve been shooting mostly a recurve again and if I go out in our Jan season that’s what I’m bringing as of right now. I’m a guy enjoys shooting all bows. I don’t shoot far so the changes even with dif arrows seem relatively minor at those ranges. I still use the bow a bit before I would take it w me
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 05:33:48 AM »
I've got only 3 bows, and other than the draw weights and the wood they are made of, all identical specs. They do shoot a smidge higher or lower than each other, but after only a couple or three shots, my brain seems to adjust quickly to which bow I'm shooting.

Definately shoot the heaviest one the best and most consistent by far though. But no doubt that's because its the one I shoot the most, I'd shoot it 20 times as much as the other two put together.

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 08:10:23 AM »
I get a bow and some arrows ready the night before. :banghead:  Then change my mind just prior to driving away. Sometimes a few times!!  :biglaugh:

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
I have 2 custom longbows, an old Hill "Mountain Man" longbow (that I can't hit squat with LOL) about a dozen old Bear recurves that I've picked up over the years, and my new (2015) Bear Kodiak T/D.

Now, I am a very consistent shot. However, I'm not a "good shot"... Try as I might, I just can't seem to tell the difference between a "custom" bow, and an old Bear?? So, the customs collect dust.

Over the past years, I have killed deer with almost all of the old Bears. I would pick one (usually the "newest") set it up and hunt with it. Next season, I'd pick a different one.
Past 5 years, I've used my Kodiak T/D for everything... :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 10:11:49 AM »
I have several bows -- recurves, mild r/ds and ASLs. They range about 7# in draw weight.  I have different arrows for some, but am shooting about the same gpp for each, which means there's not a big difference in trajectory at 20 yards and in.  I take two bows on my Western hunts, usually both recurves or both longbows.  Around home, I select from about 4 bows.  Doesn't really make any difference which one I pack on any given day.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
I have 5 bows. All Schafer Silvertips. 58 to 55 lbs. All shoot the same arrow. So no problem. I just pick the one i want to shoot and go. I also have a Dale Dye that i recently aquired and it shoots the same arrow.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
I have around 20-25 bows at any one time that I am confident in hunting with.....I just tune arrows so that I can flip flop back and forth however the mood suits me that day and I know they will all hit the same POI for my shooting style.  They are about equal numbers recurves, longbows, and selfbows.  Some with wood, some with aluminum, and some with carbon.  I shoot the selfbows split finger and the recurves and modern longbows three under.  The key is setting them all up so that they hit exactly where I am looking without need for mental adjustments. 

I do pick bows each time I go hunting depending on where I am going to be sitting.  If I am likely to get only shorter shots, then I will take a selfbow.  If I am going to sit on a field edge or on am open wooded area, then I am more likely to take a modern ILF recurve that I am comfortable shooting at double the distance of the selfbows/flint points.  Shooting lots of different bows is a large part of the fun for me!

Matt

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 11:28:29 AM »
I have 3 Bear T/D's set to go, 2 are 62" 63# and 52# and 1 58" 52#. depending a lot on the temp outside which one I pick up for the day. I have  a judo in each quiver and usually take a shot or two on my way into my stand for confidence. Lately my 52# 62 " has been getting the nod as the temps have been below 35. When I sit for more than a couple hrs anymore than 52 gets hard to get back. Age has something to do with it! 

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »
Bows, probably way to many !! With my ILF stuff , Chad Holm collection and my ASL collection I have 55-60 on the rack. Most I can pick up and in 10 minutes shoot it well enough to hunt with it or go to a 3/D shoot. I do have a few favorites, most will all shoot the same arrow. All are 40-46 pounds. I really should downsize big time !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©