3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The hidden cost of archery  (Read 4050 times)

Offline PennDude

• Trad Bowhunter
The hidden cost of archery
« on: December 20, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »
The hidden cost of trad bows, my word.  I'm not the type of guy who has a ramshackle archery shop in his basement, yet.  I know some guys have just about every weight field point, weighted inserts, feathers, serving string, glue, an assortment of different arrows, etc laying around in their archery inventory.  I'm not that guy.  So, putting together some arrows that I'm happy with has been death to my bank account by one thousand paper cuts!  It's really getting to be absurd.  I do like to tinker around though, so it is fun.  Maybe some overtime will pop up at work so my wife doesn't get too upset.   

Offline bowkill146

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The hidden cost of archery
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »
And you haven't even started figuring in license costs and trip costs if you travel to hunt!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »
You are right! Over time I have collected a mountain of left over odds and ends, and I am not an overly active tinkerer. My wife finally reached the point that she just told me not to mention how much my stuff costs. I still have to tread lightly when considering a new bow purchase, though.
Sam

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 10:40:43 AM »
AXIS Traditional Carbon 500 8.9 gpi
Reflective caps
Bright fletch
X nocks
And a few Fire nocks

These come in a little over $20 each Broadhead finished ready to hunt.

The good news is these are excellent dependable making the shot and kill
These are extremely durable better than anything I’ve shot the past 45 years
I don’t lose arrows - ever
I like to have two dozen ready each August

And a few years ago I noticed needing to build fewer and sometimes none. These are saving me money at this point compared to all other options
So PennDude maybe this can help.
<><
<—————————-<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline PennDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »
Good post Cory.  I purchased a new 35# Black Hunter bow and I'm not exactly a wiz with pairing arrows to a bow.  So I chased my tail a little bit here and there.  Ended up with an arrow that flew really good, but is 570 grains with 262 up front and dropped off too fast past 20. So now I am going to build a lighter arrow with less FOC. 

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 11:27:11 AM »
This reminds me of a Pat McManus story.
But don't forget the "Free Venison "
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »
As a practical matter, I think having a place to keep all the junk and make the arrows is more critical than the cost of the arrow making stuff.  If you are in this for the long haul, having the stuff to make your own arrows is worth it, both in cost and in being able to make them to your own specs.  Fortunately, the stuff to make arrows doesn't seem to become obsolete as quickly as some other things do.  The Bitzenberger fletcher was first made in the 1920's or thereabouts, and is still arguably the best fletcher out there and hasn't changed substantially in years.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
I have always looked at it as, I could be spending it on worse things, yes it does add up over time.  I have been building my own arrows for several years, it has allowed me to, as said above customize them to my bows.  (notice I said bows, there in adds more cost  :goldtooth:)  Fortunately I have a very understanding wife, and both my daughters shoot traditional so that helps a bit, whenever they ask what I want for Christmas, I just tell them fletching, or paint for dipping and cresting, it's a win, win, I get stuff I need and can use, and they seem to always pick out paints, and fletch they like for their arrows.  In the long run as long as you don't over do it and stay within you means, (it's hard sometimes) it is well worth it.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
I spend very little money on archery. I make as much as I can myself and trade with other archery guys for most of the rest. I did buy a bandsaw about 15 years ago but it has paid for itself over the years by saving me blood, sweat and tears. My Jojan Multifletch and Young feather burner were given to me by a friend that shoots a compound and is allergic to feathers. These things were given to him by an old trad archer that got too old to use them anymore. Probably first run for both items. Even though I do use commercial broadheads I also make my own trade points or trade for them or stone points. I don't flint knap. I make my quivers, arm guards, make most of my arrows from hardwood shoots or hill cane which I harvest from our 25acs and they all have self or reinforced self nocks I do myself. Most of what I spend on archery goes to USPS for trade shipping, a lot cheaper than the items needed. Over the years I did buy two custom bows, one made by Owen Jeffrey, a take down recurve(which I never take down) and a Treadway Longbow(my first trad kill with this one), both of which I paid $300 each new. All my other bows are either selfbows or all wood backed bows either made by me or I got in trade with other bowyers. I do have another glass bow I got here on TG from Trux Turning, a beautiful R/D with leopardwood riser.
 So you don't have to spend a lot on archery. I don't hunt out of state much anymore so that saves me a lot although the club I was in in GA cost me $300 a year and back them when I hunted there and licenses were less than $300.  I have had a lifetime license for SC since I moved from there in 1990.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
I'm one of those that probably is guilty of having too much "stuff".

However, in my defence, I live in a somewhat isolated northern community with absolutely nothing archery related available within 300 miles. I'm also the only bowhunter in the area.

And, contrary to what my daughter would say - I like to describe myself as a collector... not a hoarder, LOL!

Another good defensive statement I use is "when you do stuff, you need stuff", LOL!

But I see your point.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:45:45 PM by Ken Taylor »
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 02:49:26 PM »
I started out with buying all my stuff made up. At first buying a fletching jig was for making arrows l bought as a DYI kit from Kittridge Archery, about 1972. Then my wife wanted to shoot, more arrows to make. So I used Christmas presents, birthday presents, father day as a way to build up my hoard. Still do to some extent. I also look for sales, just picked up another doz Beemans from Big Jim as an example. I also make our quivers. I have made arm guards as well. Some items I tried to make but  “challenged “ so I gave away or traded away the tools for something I could use. Weather you make it yourself or not buy the best stuff you can afford.

Bisch

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »
The following is a transcript of an actual conversation between my wife and I one night while we were eating at a restaurant:

Wife: So, how much money do you spend on hunting every year?

Me: You know my deer lease is $1000/year!

Wife: No, I mean on everything, like lease fee, feed, bows, arrows, clothes, gas.........you know,everything!

Me: (I had to sit back a while as the sweat began to bead up on my forehead and think of a proper response).........Well, I’m not sure I know the answer to that question, and I’m positive you don’t want to know the answer!!!!!!

End of conversation! To this day, she has never since asked me about it. God, l love that woman!!!!!!!!

Bisch

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
Way cheaper and cleaner than so many alternatives. Remind your wife that if she ever complains. Thank God you do what you do
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »
My wife spends way more on her annuall 2 week trip to Maui every year than I
Spend on a full year of archery...everything included and I do mean everything!!!

She pays For hers and I mine no question ask   :bigsmyl:

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »
I was given the following advice by a fellow Bowhunter this past year as I was mentioning my guilt over what had left our bank account towards archery and hunting gear getting ready for bow season this year. When it comes to hunting, there is no budget. It’s hard to accept, but so much fun.
Regular PBS Member

Offline TradFan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 06:35:11 PM »
Cost, or actually the lack thereof, is one of the things I love about traditional archery. Compared to something like firearms where just using one consumes expensive (and at times like these largely unavailable) ammo, I can shoot my bows in my own yard for virtually nothing after a fairly modest initial outlay. And unlike a lot of our compound shooting brothers, I feel no need for a brand new bow every year.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 07:10:29 PM »
I've tinkered a lot,  especially with arrows,  and recently I have gone back to aluminum from carbon.  I know Easton has discontinued many spines, but as long as  they keep making sizes that I can use,  I will continue to always consider them.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »
I'm a hoarder! Plain and simple.  Probably have 400 arrows, 8 Bitzenbergers, choppers, feather burners, 8-10 quivers, Broadheads and points out the wazoo. Don't even want to say how many bows I have.  And it keeps growing since I started building my own.  What the hell. Could be spending my money on whiskey and whores!  :goldtooth: Luckily The Old Lady is pretty understanding. 
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Kokopelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 09:04:08 PM »
The running gag in our club among us old farts is that when we die our wives are going to sell our stuff for what we told them we paid for it.

:bigsmyl:

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2020, 09:41:00 PM »
Kokopelli - I laughed out loud at that one... so true!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©