3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: High end hang on stands  (Read 5650 times)

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: High end hang on stands
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 04:49:40 PM »
I bought a millennium m7 microlite stand this year. It has a bracket system that makes it so much easier for a hang and hunt setup. You dont have to struggle with an awkward stand while you’re in the tree, just ratchet the bracket to the tree first and the stand goes right in. I bought hawk helium climbing sticks to go with it and I like them as well. I paid around $200 for the stand I believe

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 09:10:42 PM »
I love Lone Wolfs. I use sticks and ladders. 

I stopped using strap or screw in steps several years ago. Still have dozens of strap ons that I've never used.

Muddy stands are pretty good too.

I look for lightweight but a bit roomy.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »
Another Waldrop convert here, love the flexibility of hunting the ground

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »
Lone Wolf are the best I’ve used for lightweight, easy to hang, and quiet. If you want the most comfortable, then the Millennium is what you want. I have both and use them for different situations.
    When I check out a new area I take in the Lone Wolf hang on and sticks or my Lone Wolf hand climber, depending on the trees in the area... once I determine where I want to hunt I’ll bring in the Millennium if I’m planning on long sits, for comfort.

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 08:35:14 AM »
I suggest getting a few aiders that they sell too. They are very nice also. This is the .5 stand and sticks with one aider. Packs super easy. Expensive yes but to me it’s worth it.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 04:34:55 PM »
I suggest getting a few aiders that they sell too. They are very nice also. This is the .5 stand and sticks with one aider. Packs super easy. Expensive yes but to me it’s worth it.

I think the .5 may be a bit small for me, looking at the 1.0, 3 double step sticks with the bottom 2 having aiders should get me plenty high up the tree!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
Yes I would get the 1.0. I have both honestly. Lol. And it’s barely noticeable the weight difference between the .5 and 1.0. They are awesome set ups and are truly a system. There are tons of stands and sticks out there but these are designed to pack together so it’s very sleek and fast to pack up and go. I also only use 2 aiders on the bottom 2 with 3 sticks and can get the height I will ever need. I do have 4 total but quit using the 4th one now that I got the second aider. I hunt a lot in the mountains and this allows me to use a stand system comfortable.
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »
For ground i use the millennium seat. Amazing

For the trees, it’s the LWCG 1.0. I added some awesome aftermarket LW seat pad..  When the 1.0 hit the market I pre-ordered it. This is year 2. The newer version is even better with a couple very minor additions.  The .5 seems small, I can’t stay comfy in smaller than the 1.0. I sold the assault I used for 15 years to a friend.  Good stands. Love my LWCG, it solves ALL the issues I didn’t like about the old ones. I hang a new set every time, even on private other than maybe 2 or 3 times per year..I’ve done this for 20 years.  I have one primary stand, and a LW climber that collets dust.  So price isn’t a biggy I put my trust in their products, and a safety harness. I’ve had lone wolf, wedgelock, and various others over many years. They’re all good to great stands.

I now use the LWCG non-folding double steps, 4 all with aiders. I’ve tried the 3 step folders too and they’re a step up (very good step up) from the LW Sticks. They’re both super solid and easy, and the double steps are super comfy to use and are the same weight as the double folding ones.  They nest 2 different ways in the stand for the best transport ever. Love it. I use rope mods on the sticks and settled on keeping webbing the belt for the stand. I use it also to strap in the stack of steps.

One complaint. The backpack straps are good if it’s only stand and sticks. As soon as you start adding your coat and all in a backpack or bag it gets to hurting the shoulders and it’s ok, but not ideal.  Unfortunately it gets cold here and I need the clothes at times so it gets to digging. So I am going to use my elk frame pack with a small integrated bag as the day pack to carry it, I mean why not it’s set up to be a dream to hike with and I have it set up sweet.

I also use a hip quiver to keep arrows out of the way when walking. I’ve refined my system over a very many years and sits and the 1.0 and stick set up is the best I’ve seen or used. That’s my opinion after 2 seasons.

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2020, 07:35:17 AM »
Here is a pic showing how small the .5 is incase your wondering. I wear a size 9 boot also. So yes I’d go 1.0.
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »
Shows how slim it is on back
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »
Yeah the 1.0 is almost the same size as the assault. It’s about perfect. .5 is TINY. Wow.

I usually nest my sticks just like that. The aiders just kinda bend gently on the seat. Good rig. I sometimes use all 4 sticks but I just use what it takes to get high enough.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »
So what’s the overall weight of a 1.0, 3 or 4 sticks and a couple aiders ?  Has to be lighter than my LW assault and 4 3 step sticks
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »
So what’s the overall weight of a 1.0, 3 or 4 sticks and a couple aiders ?  Has to be lighter than my LW assault and 4 3 step sticks

From their website, the 1.0 stand (no cushion or straps) is 8.1#, sticks are 1.5# (not including straps) for their mini sticks as well as the double step sticks.

Aiders are about 3 ounces apiece.

Straps are about 5 ounces if you choose to do the cam strap, lighter if you are going buckleless method of course.

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2020, 06:35:21 PM »
The .5 weighs 5.7 pounds. I only use it for quick sits like last 2 hours of light or first couple hours of daylight or for extreme walks in. Like in mountains or if I wanna just scout till I find a spot. But the 1.0 doesn’t really feel much heavier for some reason. I still am experimenting with my 2. Probably will sell the .5 but I wanna give them a full season. I got mine in middle of season so. I’m no expert on them but am very impressed.
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
The .5 weighs 5.7 pounds. I only use it for quick sits like last 2 hours of light or first couple hours of daylight or for extreme walks in. Like in mountains or if I wanna just scout till I find a spot. But the 1.0 doesn’t really feel much heavier for some reason. I still am experimenting with my 2. Probably will sell the .5 but I wanna give them a full season. I got mine in middle of season so. I’m no expert on them but am very impressed.

i've heard nothing but good things. I like the weight of the .5, but honestly for a one time purchase the 1.0 is going to do it for me. Never have liked the idea of single steps, although the mini's appear to be awesome. I do like how they stack vs the double steps (not bad by any means).

That beast stand looks good, but honestly for the price I think all we're getting is weight savings. There are a ton of features on the LWCG stand that in my eyes, sets it above the rest.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »
You can stack the double sticks two different ways..all in a pile on the center, or 2 per side..the folding double sticks pack smaller overall. I got the double sticks because same weight and more to hang on to/stand on. Seems like the tree I pick is never an “easy” one..

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
I mostly use lock on stands and have gotten rid of all of my stands except millenniums. I had a lonewolf.. best they offered at the time (about 7 years ago) doubt I will ever buy another lonewolf.  It just couldn't compare to the ease of hanging,  or comfort of the millennium.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2021, 07:47:18 AM »
for portable stands I have a Lone wolf assault with three LW sticks Or Jim stepps and my second is a Loc-On with 4 to 6 Jim steps which packs smaller than my LW handclimber and takes up no room in the truck. I usually only use 4 stepps because I like to be low in the canopy always looking for that tree that's tucked into a thick small pine,,, pic is the loc on with 6 stepps inside it,, all taped up with hockey tape because when packed its metal touching metal.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:18:54 PM by Tajue17 »
"Us vs Them"

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
for portable stands I have a Lone wolf assault with three LW sticks Or Jim stepps and my second is a Loc-On with 4 to 6 Jim steps which packs smaller than my LW handclimber and takes up no room in the truck. I usually only use 4 stepps because I like to be low in the canopy always looking for that tree that's tucked into a thick small pine,,, pic is the loc on with 6 stepps inside it,, all tapped up with hockey tape because when packed its metal touching metal.

I've never seen sticks like that, time to do some research those look way cool. Are they very heavy?

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
Those look like step ladder steps. I’ve used em. They’re heavy, but do work very well. I would imagine the millennium stands are the most comfy based on sitting my ground seat. It’s nice. But for plain old hang and hunt set ups where weight and bells and whistles are key the 1.0 is doing it for me.

I really lowered the noise and weight using amsteel instead of the straps and buckles. The rope actually swings around the tree better than buckles too. I made my own. I tried it for the stand but prefer a buckle for that, and it makes it convenient convenient to pack the sticks too.

I had 2 aiders initially, but found them very easy and solid to use so I got 2 more. Just gives me the versatility.  I’m not all interested in getting high in trees, but sometimes I have to work around obstacles so it’s nice to have 4 so I have the option.

If you use the folding sticks, gotta get the j-hooks to pack em quietly. That’s a sweet little add on. They can’t move with those on there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©