Author Topic: Wood Bows Made Like FG Bows?  (Read 1021 times)

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Bows Made Like FG Bows?
« on: December 24, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »
Does anybody here make their wood lam bows like FG lam bows, with a captured riser block and the back and belly lams running outside the riser? This is what I'm attempting with my current bow and it would be nice to be pointed towards some threads talking about this approach and to see the results from others.

Thanks,
Mark

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Bows Made Like FG Bows?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »
I do. I build bamboo backed and bellied tri-lams. The bamboo belly lam runs up the fades just like in a glass bow.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
Sweet, that looks great. How much tillering do you do after the glue up? Any great tricks or problems to avoid that you have found?

Mark

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 04:05:08 PM »
Thanks Mark. I build it much like you would build a glass bow. I taper all three lams and the power lam and I cut the back lam to shape before I glue it up. It shouldn’t need much tillering, but since its made of all natural materials, it can be a little off. Tillering can only be done from the sides on this type of bow.
The only real difficulty I have during glue up is getting the bamboo belly lam to conform to the fadeout ramps. It takes some careful sanding to get them to bend backwards. Clamping them can also be tricky. I use the strongest spring clamps I have there.
Dave.

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
Beautiful work Dave! How does the bamboo back/belly bow compare to a glass bow of the same design?

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »
BBB can be faster than alot of fiberglass bows
I made a BBI shoots 183with 10 gpp  arrows
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 10:53:44 AM »
The bow in the picture drew 65#@ 28” and shot a fast arrow. It performed as well as a glass bow and was nearly silent. The only real disadvantage is durability. Glass bows are a lot tougher. This one popped a big splinter on it’s back. Right now it’s waiting for me to get to work and grind off the back lam and put on a new one.
Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©