3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated rest  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Elevated rest
« on: December 31, 2020, 02:11:44 PM »
What can I expect by going to an elevated rest? I will need to change my nocking point but what can I expect will change in arrow flight, site picture and the like?
Will this improve my shooting? Thanks
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated rest
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »
Generally thought that vanes shoot well off an elevated rest.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »
What can I expect by going to an elevated rest? I will need to change my nocking point but what can I expect will change in arrow flight, site picture and the like?
Will this improve my shooting? Thanks

“What can I expect by going to an elevated rest?”…..fletching clearance...

“what can I expect will change in arrow flight, site picture and the like?”…. It’ll be the same….

“Will this improve my shooting? “….. No...no it won’t…

“Thanks”…. Your welcome….
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 06:15:48 PM »
It can help with vanes and assist with hiding some release issues. Though I shoot vanes off the shelf and have no issues.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 06:56:43 PM »
On some bows, you can shoot 3-under with a lower nock height from an elevated rest than from off the shelf.  This makes sense to me because an elevated rest puts the 3-under grip a little further up the string, closer to the place the string would be gripped shooting split off the shelf.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:33:44 PM »
I find it’s easier to tune the bow. I use an old fashion brush rest (Para rest) available from 3 Rivers or Black Widow. I mount it as close to the shelf as I can, in fact I cut the bottom off to get it closer. ( I saw this done some years ago by one of the Wensels). I feel this helps to keep the arrow from bouncing off the shelf in case I torque the string with my ring finger.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 01:37:14 AM »
All my Longbows a Recurves are set up the same. I take a stick on rest, like a bear weather rest, I cut the top off and mount it low as I can under a standard adhesive rug rest. I just cut a slit for the rest arm to poke through. I cut the top of the rest off so the arrow is closer to the Riser. I also trim the bottom of the rest to get it lower still.  Because I mount the rest as low as possible it barely changes the sight picture and the rest makes tuning much easier. I still shoot feathers but keep a couple done up with vanes in case it's real wet. It works fantastic and it lasts a long time.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 06:31:28 AM »
I get better arrow flight and shoot a little better with one.

Try a stick on rest and try it, you can always peel it back off easily if you don't like it.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/cartel-magnetic-arrow-rest.html

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 09:19:12 AM »
My experience has been that it depends. Have one bow in particular that I just can’t shoot well off the shelf , stick on a Bear Weatherrest and it shoots like a dream. Another bow I have I’ve went back and forth and can’t really tell a difference in how it shoots with or without a rest. I also don’t see a lot of difference in how I shoot them and can switch between bows with a rest and without with little or no problems.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©