3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A November to Remember  (Read 3090 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A November to Remember
« on: January 03, 2021, 06:56:59 PM »
I managed to parley 3 weeks off as I had 2 hunts planned out of country foiled by Covid. It was time to use or lose the vacation time so with a little wrangling I pulled off a stretch where I only worked 4 days all month. I had not had a vacation in a year and as a nurse working in this mess I was burnt around the edges. That time off came right on time.

I got a pic of a giant buck on the farm I have permission to hunt Oct 31. I checked the cam on the way to the set I had in an oak nearby. I couldn't believe that buck was there after seeing him last year after I was tagged out. I sat up in the dark and hoped my wind would hold.

At 8 am a nice 3 year old buck came in to a scrape. It being my first day off, November 7th, I just enjoyed the show. Soon 3 more bucks showed up and it became a gun show: posturing and circling each other while maintaining enough distance to not fight. Suddenly every head snapped to attention stage left and that tank on camera walked in. I went from enjoying the show to reaching for my bow in no time flat.

He gave me a good shot within my effective range and I took it. What looked perfect turned into a circus later. I jumped him on the bloodtrail after an hour wait, realizing I had a one lung hit. I backed out immediately and went home, giving him as much time as possible. I came back at 3:30 pm and found blood and 2 beds within 150 yds before dark. I backed out again, not knowing if I should. We have alot of coyotes here. I felt certain he was down but chose to be conservative. Unfortunately it cost me a bunch of meat as the coyotes took nearly every bit of him. I found him 100 yds from last blood.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:04:44 PM by wapiti792 »
Mike Davenport

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A November to Remember
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
It's time to declare war on coyotes.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 07:17:00 PM »
I am happy the dang yotes left a cape at least and I salvaged what I could. He was a heckuva whitetail that will now be in my memory room. As for those yotes, I got plans for them.
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 07:27:26 PM »
I suddenly had a buck tag filled and a doe in the freezer. I have a no doe November rule, but when a forky pushed one to me I had to give it a go. Soon after I loosed the arrow I looked out in the field and saw a ghost. A buck who had been on my small farm a year ago, suddenly reappeared. I knew that no matter what buck I had a chance at, I wanted him the most.
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 07:31:31 PM »
A 5 year old buck is quite a special animal. I killed one on November 7th and now had another I knew well to chase the rest of the year. During the next 2 weeks I would have him inside 30 yds 5 times and never got a shot. I also had several "next years deer" walk all over me. No, it'd be the tall brow buck or nothing.
Mike Davenport

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 07:37:55 PM »
Wow! Thats quite a month!!!
And with next year's quarry already in the books!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 07:52:05 PM »
After all the near misses with that buck I actually had to work a couple days. Our early firearm season is always a melancholy time for me. It is only 3 days but I don't enjoy seeing all the road hunting. Knowing the buck I was after crossed a gravel road more than a mature buck should, I was nervous. I decided to work and pray.

It turned out ok. He must have that 6th sense because no one shot him. I knew he was breeding and vulnerable. He just was a wary old dude though. I hunted him hard until our next gun season, a 4 day affair. I was off then however and spent the mornings glassing for him. The guns were going off all around and I nearly fainted when he trotted over a distant ridge with a doe. They slipped into the bedding cover on my farm and I knew exactly where I might kill him.

I told my wife my plan to set up on the ambush tree, a spruce with finger like branches where a bowhunter could tuck into. I had used this same set up to kill a giant 12 point 4 years ago. If they used that same trail coming out, I had a chance.

Like clockwork at 4 pm the doe walked right past me at 12 yds. He was so close to her rear end I thought I'd miss my chance. Luckily she got nervous like old mature does do and sped up. I used her acceleration to my advantage, drawing and pivoting on my stool. The aim and release felt perfect and the mad dash ended at 100 yards. I was overcome with emotion as I always am and texted my wife "Got him". She asked "him, him?" THE Hombre...the man. It was not long before I had dragging help by way of my son home from college. We had a heck of a celebration but not before I had some quiet time with my buck and with God above.
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »
Killing a mature whitetail buck is hard. I know I live in a whitetail mecca and don't discount the luck it takes. I am fortunate to have killed 20 bucks now that are just amazing, mature specimens. This one will go down as an epic labor of love. I spent 28 sits, 112 hours total to get my shot at him. He was worth every second of every sit. I'd do it all again and will again come November. Until then I will feed my family well and celebrate the wonderment of a mature whitetail buck.
Mike Davenport

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 08:07:27 PM »
Well done Sir!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »
What a season! Congrats!

Bisch

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 08:45:22 PM »
Wow, Mike, that’s awesome!!!!!!! I’d gladly give up all the deer I get to shoot down here for one of those bruisers!!!!

Congrats on a great season, my friend!!!

Bisch

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 08:58:36 PM »
        Great season! Congratulations!
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 09:37:33 PM »
Are you allowed two archery killed bucks? Just asking cause I’m new here and thought it was only one.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 09:53:59 PM »
You are allowed 2 bucks total: 1 gun or 1 bow, 2 gun or 2 bow. So long as you have a tag. Up until a few years ago you couldn't bow hunt during gun season but now as long as you have a gun tag (I did) you can bowhunt.
Mike Davenport

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 11:02:11 PM »
Awesome !!!   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 11:20:31 PM »
Thank you, Mike.

So you can kill two bucks during the shotgun seasons? And two bucks during the archery seasons? I did know that one can bowhunt during the shotgun season.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 04:19:06 AM »
Congrats and thank you for what you do
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 07:39:15 AM »
Two great bucks and effort to have a season like you did. Thanks also for your occupation as our country is in dire need of people like you.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 07:42:24 AM »
Congrats. Those are some beautiful bucks! That’s one heck of a season.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 07:43:41 AM »
Congratulations. Job well done.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©