3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on a New Bear Super Kodiak  (Read 466 times)

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on a New Bear Super Kodiak
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
I'm thinking about getting one of these,can anyone help with some feed back? Is it a good, quiet, stack free, low hand shock bow.

I'm looking at a 50#, my draw is 29"

I have a mid 70's Kodiak Hunter and I love the way it feels with the small troat, high wrist grip. Is the new Super Kodiak's grip comparable to it.

Thanks
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on a New Bear Super Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
My .02 cents... Beautiful bow but for the price, you can easily get a custom bow made to your specifications... for you. Seems way to pricey for a production bow.

Greg
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline Caranthir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
The grip on the Super Kodiak is not like the Kodiak Hunter. Mine shoots where you look, is quiet with string silencers on a Dacron B-50 Flemish twist string and will kill stuff just as well as any "custom -made" bow on the market. I guess I'm just not enough of a "bow-snob" to spend the extra on custom made.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
I had one for a while, great shooting bow and I like the looks too, real classic looking bow. Seemed to be about average in quiteness and speed but there is very little difference in bows performance these days, heck very little between the old bows and todays bows for that matter. The Super Kodiak did shoot very well for me.
MY .02...Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Super Kodiaks are great bows, but for what they are asking, I'd fins something else, a custom with exactly the wood you want, etc.  Better bows (quietness, smoothness, speed, etc.) for less money out there.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
I bought a used SK Supreme for $400 and was pleased with the bow, I shot it for awhile and sold it for the same amount. They've always been great shooters. I hate to be an old fuddy-duddy but even the new SK Supreme is not as pretty as the older Grayling Kodiaks & Super Kodiaks, IMO.
   The new ones are nice bows though and you will see used ones become available.  I'd agree with the above posts in that for the new $700 price tag there are better choices.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
The SK has a slimmer grip(which I prefer) than the Kodiak Hunter, and I would consider it somewhat lower-wrist style also.   I believe the sight-window is also taller on the SK.  I also feel that the SK is a smoother drawing bow(I draw @30+") with less pinch than the Kodiak Hunter even though both are 60" bows---just personal observations, others may feel differently on this. Price wise, I usually see them for around $450 for the regular model new, and the Supreme may be @$700.   But as mentioned, there are many customs available for $450 that may(or may not) be better(LOL).

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
The SK's are a great bow but I have to agree with Greg, for the same money you can have a nice custom bow built to match your wants.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
The standard,(not Supreme), SK can be had used for $200-#300 and at that price I think it's an excellent buy. As stated earlier, the performance is fine.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
If you can get one at a good price, buy it.  They shoot as good as any bow out there and they are pretty much bomb proof.  I love the design and the riser/pivot.  It is scary accurate.  You can find old ones as well on auction sites for less than 300.00.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
If you like the Kodiak Hunter, you will love the Super Kodiak. You can find mint commemorative Super Kodiaks for $500, but used ones shoot the same for half the price.
This guy wrote a review you might want to read:
 http://www.usenet.com/newsgroups/rec.sport.archery/msg00521.html

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I would shop around for a Super Kodiak  built in the late 60s or early 70s.  Some of Fred's greatest works of art IMO.  I agree with George, they are pretty much bombproof.  I just think they "look" better than the new ones but that's personal preference.  I've never shot a newer one but they are probably great shooters also.

Hard to go wrong with a SK, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline rbaustin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »
Picked up a Commemorative Super K at pawn shop ingville....$225.....was made for an employee for retirement but i guess they wanted $$ instead of bow.......shoots great and looks great
Shoot straight and tell the truth

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 04:55:00 AM »
I have had A SK for about four years now and have shot elk and deer with it. It's a great bow with a great grip. Fairly quiet also. I had a custom bow made about a year ago and that's what I've been shooting, but the Bear always seems to come along for the hunts as a back-up. Just can't let it go. It's a great bow, and to be honest with you I've shot numerous "custom" bows and I wouldn't say the bear is any better or worse than anything I've shot.
j yenney

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©