3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glue-on/screw-in point adapters?  (Read 337 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue-on/screw-in point adapters?
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Has anyone ever used these for wood arrows?  They would give me the ability to achieve higher FOC in a wood arrow.  What od they weigh?  General experiences?
Thanks.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue-on/screw-in point adapters?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
I've been using some lately for the exact reason you stated, they let me build a high FOC woodie.

They work very well for that purpose, the looks take a little getting used to.  I'd still rather have a real heavy glue on point but that's not available yet.

Using a 125 grain BH and 125 grain steel adapter I can break 300 grains in point weight with the glue on adapters.  If I jumped up my BH weight even more I could go higher still.  My bow needs about 20 extra pounds of spine to tolerate the 300+ grain point.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
So are they 50gr or greater?  Thast OD are they?  Inquiring minds need to know.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
The one drawback I see is that the adapters will make it much harder to get your broadheads to spin true, due to the length of the adapter. If your taper isn't perfect, or the adapter isn't glued on true, the added length of the adapter will magnify the problem.

Also, the added length (leverage) may make it easier to break the glue's bond with the shaft.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
The ones I've been using are 55 grains.  I also thought alignment would be a problem but thus far it hasn't been at all.  I've not lost any or broken any off yet, but I share the concerns fyrfyter43 does.  I would rather see a glue on point of correct weight than using the adapters to boost weight.

The adapters I have are 11/32" at the base and fit a 11/32" or 23/64" shaft well.  My only beef is the screw in portion is actually reduced in diameter, to about 21/64".  I'd rather see a straight adapter for more strength, weight and ferrule support, as well as the absence of a ridge to potentially impede penetration.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©