3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Greenwood shafts  (Read 3804 times)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Greenwood shafts
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »
Push archery put up greenwood footed shafts on site, look interesting.  Anyone have them yet?

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Greenwood shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »
I am anxious to try some myself, they look amazing.  From the podcast I listened to about them, they will have extremely tight tolerances.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
They look sharp, got me thinking. Havent looked into them much are they already sealed?

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »
I believe they come as raw shaft with no sealant. They are pretty nice looking arrows!
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 11:37:42 AM »
I noticed the spine range 65/70 for the test kit, do they come in heavier spine weight?
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Horsehide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 07:25:44 PM »
Pretty sure #65-#70 is as stiff as they offer. On the low end for me also. BOP is usually 27.5" with 160gr points.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 09:14:09 PM »
what diameter are they? 11/32? I didn't see it listed on the website.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 11:57:55 AM »
If I remember right they are 11/32. I got that info from The Push Archery Podcast when they were talking about them.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 12:17:19 PM »
I just ordered a test kit over the weekend.  My recurve is 52#'s @ 28".  I'm drawing 27"ish.  I ordered the 55-60, 60-65 & 65-70 spine group hoping I can make one of those work for me.  If I remember to I'll let you all know how it goes!

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 12:21:47 PM »
I just ordered a test kit over the weekend.  My recurve is 52#'s @ 28".  I'm drawing 27"ish.  I ordered the 55-60, 60-65 & 65-70 spine group hoping I can make one of those work for me.  If I remember to I'll let you all know how it goes!

I have no idea why I would want to complicate things,but these are some neat looking shafts. I don't know the first thing about wood shafts,but I shoot around 50 to 55 pounds. That would probably be the kit I ordered,but I will wait to see of your test go.  I don't know about finishing them either,but can probably get some info on how to do it.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 04:38:43 PM »
I've shot wood arrows off and on.  It's not any more complicated than figuring out carbon or aluminum and what works.  The factor that always tests my patience is the straightness factor.  I'm always wondering if a miss, whether at the range or in the woods, was me or the arrow.  But, there really is something special about killing something with tools you made.  I've killed one deer before with a wood arrow and I'd like to make some more meat with them.  However I keep giving into the lure of confidence with carbon shafts.  I'll keep you posted.

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 08:51:37 AM »
I've shot wood arrows off and on.  It's not any more complicated than figuring out carbon or aluminum and what works.  The factor that always tests my patience is the straightness factor.  I'm always wondering if a miss, whether at the range or in the woods, was me or the arrow.  But, there really is something special about killing something with tools you made.  I've killed one deer before with a wood arrow and I'd like to make some more meat with them.  However I keep giving into the lure of confidence with carbon shafts.  I'll keep you posted.

This could have been my quote to the letter. I've shot them of and off for 35 years. Likely killed 30 deer and other large game with them...but every miss I question whether it's me or the arrow. I understand the likely fact that it's always me....I just don't like the self doubt; and I do like the certainty & comfort of the synthetic  arrows
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »
Sometimes when I miss with carbon I wonder if that was a wood shaft would it have been more forgiving and hit?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 07:37:55 PM »
Wood will shoot straight even if the shaft itself isn't perfectly straight as long as the nock and point are on straight.  Can't say the same for aluminum.  Of course, carbon doesn't take a set.  It's either straight or broken.  Regardless, though I've incorporated carbons into my shooting and hunting, I shot wood for more than 50 years and killed a lot of critters with wood.  I'm certain that not one of my misses was due to using a wood arrow.  They were all me. 

Regarding the greenwood shafts, I don't know why/how the impregnated birch footing can weigh 100 grains more than the laminated birch footing, which is the difference between the two arrow weights with the different footings.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:45:07 PM by Orion »

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
Ditto what Orion said.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »
Wood will shoot straight even if the shaft itself isn't perfectly straight as long as the nock and point are on straight.  Can't say the same for aluminum.  Of course, carbon doesn't take a set.  It's either straight or broken.  Regardless, though I've incorporated carbons into my shooting and hunting, I shot wood for more than 50 years and killed a lot of critters with wood.  I'm certain that not one of my misses was due to using a wood arrow.  They were all me. 

Regarding the greenwood shafts, I don't know why/how the impregnated birch footing can weigh 100 grains more than the laminated birch footing, which is the difference between the two arrow weights with the different footings.

Orion, I have used both materials for wood turning.  One is impregnated with a different type of adhesive I believe.  The other is just laminated together.  There's a noticeable weight, and sound difference in my calls, between the two.  The heavier birch I believe is placed into a pressure cooker of sorts and the adhesive is "pushed" into the laminations.  I think, lol.

P.S. Still waiting on my test kit... :jumper:

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »
Any update on them

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 10:50:57 AM »
I forgot about these. I went to there site,and can't find them for sale.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©