3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What wax  (Read 343 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What wax
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Does it matter what bow string wax you use? Scorpion wax, Tex-tite?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What wax
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Just get some old Tex-tite.  It does not matter if it is Dacron or a newer string material.  Bowstring wax is mainly for sealing the string from drying out, which is the main reasons most strings get weak or break.  It also helps keep the string waterproof.  There are many newer waxes with silicone or some other lubricant, but I have never found them to be as effective as Tex-tite and most don't seem to coat the string as well or last as long between applications.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
I use a big stick of beeswax from the a grocery or craft store. Not the parrifin!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
I mix about 1 tsp. of honey with about 1/4 lb. of beeswax.  Makes it extra sticky and the smell ain't half bad either.
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
I think it was Rube Powell that told me about 1954 to keep your string waxed about every 2 months if shooting regularly, because it lubricates the individual strings, stopping ware and tear as they slide against each other with every shot. It sounded good, and he was a national champ, so as a kid I absorbed everything he said. I found burnishing the string with a piece of leather heated the wax and let it get deep within the bundle. Biff
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Leather to burnish the string.....hmmm.  No wonder I've been burning my fingers all these years.    :D
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I use the string makers beeswax from Kustom King. Tacky and durable. I also use a piece of leather like Biff after burning my fingers like Scriv
DonD

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Biff, I agree, keep a small patch of leftover elkhide in my bag and always know where it's at. When waxing I just pull it out and start spit shining that beeswax into the string. Smooth and shiny.
And did you all know that honey is the only pure food known that will not spoil. Use Beeswax!!!!!
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©