3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Point on distance  (Read 2523 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
Point on distance
« on: January 18, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
Ive been throwing around the idea of figuring out my pod even though using an aiming method seems so foriegn to me.  I shoot split finger and know this will increase my pod.  How does one get a rough idea of the distance so you dont fling arrows way over target?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Point on distance
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »
Your pod is probably less than 50 yards, so if you start off at 45-50 yards, you shouldn't be shooting arrows over the target.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »
Do you have any state parks with a outdoor  archery range nearby?  The one we have isn't spectacular but it has large block targets and you can pretty much shoot from 0 to 100 yards as long as there aren't many people there. It's really nice for tuning set ups or practicing point on distances and so on.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 02:02:50 PM »
This might not be what your looking for,    ....

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »
There's too many variables to be able to tell without actually doing it.  Get out somewhere & fling some arrows.

That being said, you can get a rough idea if you can also shoot 3-under and play with your anchor (face walking).  So, for example, if you shoot 3-under with a middle finger anchor and have a POD at 30 yards, moving to an index-finger anchor will adjust your point of impact by about 8".  For me, this extends my POD by about 5-7 yards at closer ranges.  Move to split finger and you gain another 5-7 yards.  Moving to a chin (Olympic style) anchor gets me more than 7 yards extra but I haven't really played around with it much.  It's probably a 50-yard+ POD.

Not really sure what you're looking to accomplish, though.  Just scratching a curiosity itch?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
Yea just scratching a curiosity would prefer to stay more instinctive style but if using the point increases my accuracy im not against it. I understand how to figure out point on and my gaps i just dont want to start out and fling an arrow over the target. 

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 01:01:50 PM »
The thing is it can vary so much from one guy to another.  My own is short, split finger and I'm still only about 32 yards.  Had a buddy who shot three under and his was dead on at 50.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 11:03:55 AM »
Yea just scratching a curiosity would prefer to stay more instinctive style but if using the point increases my accuracy im not against it. I understand how to figure out point on and my gaps i just dont want to start out and fling an arrow over the target.

In that case, start close & walk back as you learn the gaps.  5 yards will get you on a stack of hay bales somewhere.  I shoot 3-under but my gap at 10 yards is pretty darned close to my gap at 20.  Yours might be more like a 15/25.  Likely, depending on arrow length & speed, you're probably looking at a 24-36" gap.
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 01:34:02 PM »
Please provide the actual target height and designate whether it is set on the ground or elevated and or whether or not it the target can be easily elevated?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 01:43:30 PM »
Please provide the actual target height and designate whether it is set on the ground or elevated and or whether or not it the target can be easily elevated?
If i where to do it now the target would be the standard block tarket  would elevate it to roughly chest height

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 08:18:50 PM »
Ex....If target height is 30"s and set on the ground, place a point of aim target such as a  tennis ball directly on the ground 3 ft in front of your block target....the working center of the block target from the ground is 15"s...placing the ball at three feet from the target effectively gives you approximately 6 more inches...place ball two yards for an additional 12"s of working space....move ball closer as you dial it in and are effectively on the block target.

If elevated, just suspend a point of aim target below the elevated block target.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 11:02:09 AM »
If you're unsure, start at 30 yds and shoot. Back up 5 yds and shoot again and keep doing this until you reach your Point on Distance.
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 04:29:18 PM »
Like McDave said, start a bit further out.  I shoot into the dam of our pond and found with a certain bow and arrow combo my split finger point on was 38 yards and my 3 under was 28 yards.   Pretty easy for me to remember.  I can reduce my 3 under point on to 17 yards and the arrow will impact 22 inches below the point at 30 if I go to a 15 gpp arrow.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »
I went out to the range about a week ago & lobbed some arrows at "long" ranges.  Split finger, index finger anchor, 55-lb D/R bow drawn to about 27.5" with 600 gr arrows put me point-on at about 52 yards.  Middle finger anchor was more like 45 yards.

But I could barely keep it on the target at 55 yards.  Granted, there was some wind to contend with.  Most hit & I got an occasional group.  But 1/4 would miss completely.  So take that for what it's worth.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »
Just curious.... what is the purpose of your point on?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »
My POD?
Don't know, don't care.  :dunno:

That would require looking at my arrow.
Why would I do that?????
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kokopelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 01:38:17 PM »
Terry;
We could sit around a campfire and discuss point on 'til the embers burn out. Very useful to know. For example, should it change for no apparent reason, one would suspect a bowstring / brace height that needs attention. Baring that, possibly some type of creeping crud has snuck into one's form. In my case, since all of my bows are 60# and shoot the same 2213 arrow, knowing point on allows comparison of bows, as in apples to apples. Then there's the target shooting aspect. Point on is just a target pin. A very fat target pin but still a reference. Put the point on the target and it comes down to bow tune or form. Plus, it's a confidence builder. If I can shoot well at point on & beyond, a jackrabbit at 25 or 30 yards has reason to be concerned. 
I firmly believe that if it can be made safely, there's no such thing as an unethical practice shot.
Thus endth today's lesson on point on. Tomorrow, we may discuss the 100 yard line.     :saywhat:

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »
Cool koko... I shoot instinctive so I have no clue.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 02:01:27 PM »
Great answer Koko. I've shot ground hogs at 65 yards with Doug Campbell and his 65# Jerry pierce recurve on the spot on arrival in Montana.  No time to figure out point on...  just calibrated instinctively after a few shots.

I guess, no hacking, that some need to know... but not me I shoot too many different bows to keep up. Yeah...100 yards.. at midnight...I'll play 😁
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Mike Malvaini

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 03:31:12 PM »
Best i can guess is 60 to 65 yards. Not sure, i shoot instinctive. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©