3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Car bow rack  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Kbob

• Trad Bowhunter
Car bow rack
« on: January 22, 2021, 09:47:37 AM »
Anyone have any ideas for out of the way bow storage in a van or SUV. I find myself putting my bow in less than ideal spots in our trailblazer. This is primarily due to lack of open space once I have kids and dogs loaded. I'm thinking there has to be a way to attach safely to the headliner? Open to other ideas too, my main goals are to have it out of reach of small hands and ideally out of sight. It would also be nice if I can put their little fiberglass bows in the same location.

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Car bow rack
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
Temporary or permanent ?  An enclosed roof rack box may help.

Deno
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:15:13 AM by Deno »
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Kbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »
Ideally I was thinking temporary because we haul skiis and our canoe on top intermittently. I'll take a look at the rooftop boxes,  might be a good all around solution if I find one that goes on and off easy.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »
They make strap for the head liners to hold fishing rods.  Just mount them closer together so your bows can make the span.

Offline Kbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 09:09:34 AM »
Ordered a fishing rod strap for $20 from cabelas, I'll post pictures once I have it set up. Thanks for the tip!

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:34:46 AM »
Kbob that would be great! I need something too.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:56:34 PM »
  • Tubular storage on the roof rack.  Think PVC pipe or a fly rod tube or something similar.
  • Headliner straps with bows suspended.  I did this for many years with my bows in a Far North Archery tube.  Their tubes are a simple PVC but have some creature comforts and nice features like zippered ends instead of the tedious PVC screw caps, padded interiors, arrow pockets, and a zippered small pouch for tab/gloves.  You can easily fit multiple bows in the tube.
  • Go to take down bows in small cases in the luggage area.  This is what I do now and couldn't be happier.  I had my favorite bow model custom built for me as a two piece and fit a whole travel kit into a Pelican Storm 3100 case.  I can float with it and if my canoe capsizes it'll float.  It's airline approved and covers backup revolvers for dangerous game when checked with TSA.  It can have any sort of luggage/coolers/stands tossed on/around it without worry.  I love this setup for travelling and hunting.  It's just too convenient and easy to store all the must haves and expensive items like my bow/arrows, binoculars, custom knives, calls, etc in one grab and go kit.

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 06:30:33 AM »
GD that’s a great setup for sure!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Kbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »
That's a beautiful kit GD, I hope to create something like it some day but for now I'm transporting a 60" super kodiak with a bow quiver around. Short trips with a 2 and 4 year old. I'll post a pic tonight of the new set up!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »
 FYI...Be aware of heat as an enemy of FG bows. A roof rack and the inside of a vehicle, in hot weather can heat up a bow enough that they can come apart if braced before they are totally cooled inside and inside. I've seen it happen as some of you probably have too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »
Thank you for the heads up Pat, up here against the Canadian border in MT we dont get that type of weather very often but I do avoid leaving bows in cars for that reason.

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 05:11:02 PM »
On the inside of my vehicle I secure heavy cardboard "cement column forms".  come in all lengths in 6-8-10 inch diameters.  For me they work well for bows, fishing poles, and shotguns with soft protection.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »
My front seat covers have "rifle loops" on the back that coincidentally work for bows.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©