3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow strings question  (Read 906 times)

Offline Steiger3208

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow strings question
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »
Been into traditional archery for many years but never really did any research on bow strings.  So my question is, is there one type or brand of bow string that is universally quiet for any type of bow or is it a trial and error for each bow?
   Thanks, Wes
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:27:36 AM by Steiger3208 »

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow strings question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:51:56 AM »
There’s usually little difference in noise. Some are slightly lower pitched than others but strand count can change it and arrow weight is, IMO the most important determining factor. Also, it’s “pleasing” to us when the pitch is lower I believe, so by quiet I’d say probably a lower pitch sounds better to us.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:32:46 AM »
I think a Flemish twist is quieter than a continuous loop but I have no research to prove it. Also I think the Flemish twist is stronger because it has twice as many strands in the loops than a continuous loop string. I use only B-50 or
B-55 so I can't comment on the FF type strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »
I think a Flemish twist is quieter than a continuous loop but I have no research to prove it. Also I think the Flemish twist is stronger because it has twice as many strands in the loops than a continuous loop string. I use only B-50 or
B-55 so I can't comment on the FF type strings.

I only make Flemish strings, so I didn't think about continuous loops only having half the strands in the nock loops; I had to think about that for a while before it made sense to me.  I suppose that's why they serve the nock loops rather than just tying them off: to provide a cushion for the string nocks on the bow.

OTOH, what about not needing twists in a continuous loop string?  I've heard that this is an advantage, probably by reducing the overall weight of the string, although I’m not sure about that. I do know that most bowyers send Flemish strings with their bows.  Toelke is (or at least was) an exception.  All the bows I’ve received from him have had continuous loop strings.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
mcDave. The serving is what forms the loops

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
I'm partial to Flemish twist strings and believe them to be a tad quieter...

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »
I have built strings for over twenty years both for compounds and traditional bows and it's true that some string material is quieter than other and some yield more strength that others and stretcher less what I have found out that for me as far as noises go the amount of strands and the weight of the arrow and nock have a lot to do with how quite your bow is.     
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©