3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snake Boots  (Read 3495 times)

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
Snake Boots
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
Let me start by saying.... I hate snakes!  While they look great on a new bow, I certainly have no desire to discover the poisonous kind "up and personal in the deer/turkey woods".  Where I used to live in upstate NY this was not a problem.  Five months ago we moved to Kentucky and this is now on my mind as I start thinking about Spring turkey.  Any thoughts/recommendations on snake boots?  Someone I met recently here in KY said not to worry about snakes.... Apparently it is too late for that!!  :biglaugh:

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Snake Boots
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »
If you have a good hog population the snakes kinda lay real low.  Even run from foot noise in the bush.
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:35:43 AM »
I've been wearing a pair from Cabels's that I no longer remember the model number. They are comfortable and warm, so I wear them in cooler weather. Luckily, I have never tried out their effectiveness in dealing with snake bite. This thread interests me a lot, because I will soon need a new pair. These are about worn out, but have lasted over twenty years. I'll probably go that route again. Like BrownA5, I don't like snakes at all.
Sam

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 11:42:50 AM »
Oh come on Sam! Where’s your sense of adventure? lol 😂

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »
Wudstix, I've also heard that rattlers don't rattle as much in hog country which is a scary thought to me.
 I've hunted the S.E. US(GA, SC, NC, from the coast to the mountains) all my hunting career and never seen a poisonous snake in the wild while hunting. I know they are there but I never see them. I do wear snake boots during snake season, just in case. I think I got mine from Cabelas too, many years ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 12:01:02 PM »
I live in Louisiana and we have all four species of poisonous snakes here. Up front, I like snakes, to me they are interesting creatures and as a kid I had them as pets. For what it's worth there are 330,000,000 people in the U.S. and each year approximately 7,000 of them are bitten by poisonous snakes. On average 7 of them die.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »
I'm on my second pair of the Danner Pronghorn snake boots.  Very comfortable and TALL!!(17").  I gotten real lazy with these boots on,  I hardly even look where i am stepping.    Some of my friends like the zip up snake boots,  I have the lace up, and I'm fine with them.   

Offline darktater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 12:32:19 PM »
I have a pair of LaCrosse rubber snake boots. Kill two birds kind of thing, and they are the most comfortable snake boots I've had.
Peter Tschantz
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member

TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”

― John Adams

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 12:38:41 PM »
Tradcat, you know I'm old and boring. A great adventure now is a glass of scotch after a slow paced practice session with the longbow. But as for snakeboots, I don't need the latest and greatest popular names. Most of them are probably made in the same Chinese factories, anyway.

Sam

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »
Have Chippawa, but think made out of country.  Had then @4 years.
 :campfire:

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 01:08:08 PM »
Jim Wright pointed out that there are only 7 deaths per year from snake bite.  I probably would be one of them but simply from fright!  :scared:

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 02:42:52 PM »
If you like cowboy boots Justin makes a square toe roper style snake boot with zip up sides.   

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 02:50:07 PM »
I wear snake gaiters. I can wear them with any of my boots.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

arrow30

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 04:45:15 PM »
i just got a pair last year, havent got to really ware them hunting.
 just around the cabin for a couple days for a break in. 
been some rattlers killed around there and i got a cottonmouth a couple yrs. ago,
 and seen another while i was fishing from my kayak.
  so i figured i better get some for sneaking around the creeks and hills, especially during low light hours. where visibility is less.
really light weight and pretty comfortable.

rocky snakeboots
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:38:05 AM by arrow30 »

Offline howl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 09:25:12 PM »
When hunting you need to watch where you will step so you don't make too much noise. If you watch where you step you shouldn't have a problem with snakes. Same goes for where you put your hands when sitting down to call up a turkey. I hunt turkeys about twenty days per year. Never have worn snake boots. I have seen snakes, but I've never stepped on one.

You will probably want some knee high rubber boots first thing in the morning so you don't get soaked by dew on grass, and for crossing creeks. As above, there are rubber snake boots. They're just heavier than standard is all. Muck makes the best rubber boots.

When working in the woods, you are not watching where you step. Heavy leather work boots and snake chaps are the way to go. I've had the same Rattler brand chaps since the mid-90s. Never been struck, but they're great for briars, too.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 10:36:39 PM »
I wear Vaprateks (may be spelled wrong). I got them because they are super light weight and feel almost like a boot/sneaker hybrid in the soles which I like for the mountains. I’ve been struck probably 6ish times in them in the past 3 years that I’ve owned them and had zero punctures.  One of the places I hunt has a lot of timber rattlers and copperheads. I’m NOT a fan of the snakes.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 08:51:42 AM »
Pat B; they may not rattle due to hogs or heat.  Also, they tend to run from foot steps in the grass in hog county.  Snakes are a delicacy for hogs.
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline keng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:05 AM »
I've been wearing the irish setter vaprteks for two years. They are the most comfortable boot I ever owned, but starting leaking during my third trip and the waterproof warranty is only six months. I like them enough that I ordered another pair to rotate and hopefully have a dry pair every morning

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 09:11:48 AM »
Ever since I stepped on a copperhead several years ago, (was not wearing them) my snakeboots have become my standard outdoor boots. In the south, I have seen snakes come out in winter when we have a short warm spell. How about you guys with zip up boots, do the zippers work well? I have had zip boots, but not snakeboots, that did not work well.  My current boots will need replacement soon, and I might like a zip up model if they work well. I'm skeptical of them.
Sam

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 09:21:04 AM »
I appreciate all the input that has been given regarding this post and the experiences that have been shared.  Just confirms to me again that I am on the right track/thought process.  I will research the different options that have been suggested.  I have been doing a lot of reading about Chippewa's snake boots, specifically the moc toe model.  The comments and ratings have been really good.  Seems like they tend to run large so keep that in mind if you are considering them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©