3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where have all the heavy bows gone?  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where have all the heavy bows gone?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 06:52:02 PM »
A diminishing return is still a return.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 08:00:50 PM »
From 16 to age 66 none of my recurves drew more than 50 pounds at my draw length. Draw weight of the stuff I've hunted has never been an issue. However, mule, antelope, black bear, and whitetail deer are the biggest I've been able to afford to pursue.

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 08:11:22 PM »
All four of my Robertsons are in the #60-#65 range, but that is typical of late 80's - early '90's models. I don't have any issues with their draw weights, but I'm not shooting as much as I should which may or maynot be helping my shoulder life... 
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Robertson Stybow Mystical 66" #60@28"
Stalker Coyote FXT  RC 62" #53@29"

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 09:03:40 PM »
Yes Orion I have posted 2 ads on the classifieds here as well as several FB ads. I'm sure the right thing will pop up I just thought everyone would have one of two to sell.  Heck I had a great 75 pound Hoyt takedown I bought for 35 bucks at a yard sale. Unfortunately I sold it
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 09:42:38 PM »
You might try calling some of the shops who sell a lot of bows. Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear, The Footed Shaft, Big Jim. Sometimes they don't get them all listed on the web page.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »
My lightest is 83#s, I think if you are wanting strictly 75#s you may struggle as most of the bows I see traded/sold by the heavy crew are 90#s plus. If your parameters go higher I think you could find one cheapish.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 11:15:09 PM »
All my heavyweight bows have turned into saw dust as I'm still have fun reducing their weights. Turned 75 this week and 40# is as high as I go.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 06:28:53 AM »
Men have always gone down in weight as they got older.  That's naturally normal, common sense,  and understandable nor does it need to be justified... that's not the reason you can't find heavy bows..  :campfire:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
I still have several of my heavy weights, from 70-94# in my upstairs. My shoulders quit on me about 20 years ago. Found out I didn’t need the extra weight and shot better and practices more with lighter weight bows. In my experience, few people who shoot heavy bows actually reach a solid anchor and sometimes have several inches of arrow sticking out when they release.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »
I'm pushing 70 & shoot 65# not heavy but no pains either

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 09:37:06 AM »
You could always shoot a buff with a 40# bow and stampede it ff a cliff, like the Indians did. :bigsmyl:
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
I'm from the "walk in off the street generation and buy a recurve bow at your local department store". In fact my brother, of eternal memory (1955-2012),  and I did that. Those bows were aimed for the bulk of shooters and came in at around 45-50#.

Not many shooters wanted the heavy bows so manufacturers concentrated on the mid range bows.

So where did they go? Not many existed back in the day unless you got some sort of special order custom. We could not afford that.

But that's ok. We had a blast hunting and shooting our 45-50# recurves. Memories from long ago (1976). Gone but not forgotten from a time we will not likely see again.

Thanks for letting me reminisce. His heavenly birthday is coming up on 2/5.

Jawge

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 10:27:17 AM »
I'm sure you have Chuck, but the guys I hunt with that shoot heavy bows handle them easily and consistently kill stuff.

If turkeyfoot is going to hunt buff, he's going to need a heavy bow.  Not sure why all the hacking on people that shoot heavy bows is even an issue on this thread.  :dunno:

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 11:17:25 AM »
Just making a truthful observation based on almost 60 years behind the bow. I’m sure you and your friends handle heavy bows well. I shot 94#@27” for years. I could hold at full draw for 10 seconds without creeping forward. (won a couple bets for that). However; you and your friends are the exception. Only a small percentage of archers can really handle the heavy bows, and hit what they are aiming at. More power to those that can! I regret, every day, that I ever shot a bow that pulled over 60#. My shoulders let me know about it constantly. Maybe I was doing it wrong?😩

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 11:38:55 AM »
Ironmike;
63-67# is good for most of my hunting with the D/R bows I shot and 800-900 grain arrows I'm pushing.  Plenty of juice and penetration potential.  Do have a D-shape Kota at 72#, but heavier than that I have to work too hard at staying in trim to shoot consistently.
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 01:06:54 PM »
68# @ 31 still going strong for me, and it's my favorite to shoot.  The key for me is to draw and hold my bow (both right and left handed) for exercise all throughout the year, but especially during my "shooting seasons".
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »
I hear ya Chuck... I've seen people you speak of,  believe me, and thanks for not including everyone. I've been shooting since i was 8, 56 now, and shot heavy all my life.  Never an issue.  Just saying one size don't fit all, and not sure why some have such an issue accepting that. Well, actually, I have a pretty good reason as to why.

Offline Lori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
My husband always hunted with heavy bows, he practiced a lot. One year he tore a muscle in his arm while weight lifting, really ugly lump, he killed a huge doe with my 37 pounds at 26 inches Hill that year. Then one day his super heavy bow pulled a finger out of place, that ended it for him. At 69 now, the guy that he gave his lighter 89 pound Big 5 too stopped by, he got out his fiberglass arrows with wood inside of them. They hit the target really hard, when he shot his old bow. He said, "Gosh I forgot how much fun that was." I said, "Don't you dare."  He now shoots 50 to 55 pounds, sometimes all day. The heaviest draw that I ever got to was 48 pounds at my 26 inch pull. I cannot do that any more.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:12:09 PM by Lori »

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 03:28:01 PM »
Keep looking Chris.  I could loan you something if you were a lefty.  Jerry is going to be borrowing my ILF recurve limbs for the hunt.  Nothing is cheap, but Black Widow could get a set of limbs knocked out for you quickly, and it doesn't seem to bad weighed against the cost of a buff hunt.

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2021, 07:17:54 PM »
Hmmm.  I shot what I consider heavy bows (60#-70#) during my 30s, 40s 50s and into my 60s.  Nearly 75 now, and I'm shooting 45#-50#, not because of any shoulder problems.  Just not as strong as I once was. Never had and still don't have shoulder problems. 

Heavy bows don't cause shoulder problems IMO, unless perhaps one shoots them improperly. A lot of folks injure their shoulders during a lifetime of living, and blame it on shooting heavy bows.  Might be that the heavy bows just alert them to the fact that they already have bad shoulders. 

Turkeyfoot:  Did you place a bows wanted ad?  Most folks don't list heavy bows for sale because there's very little market for them nowadays.  Bet a lot of folks have a bow or two they would sell.

I agree.  My shoulders are also wrecked.  My surgically repaired one is now my "good" one.  But that was caused by my being stupid enough to think it was somehow necessary to bench press a dump truck after age 40.  I don't think shooting had anything to do with it.  Then again I never owned a 70# bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©