3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where have all the heavy bows gone?  (Read 7677 times)

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
Where have all the heavy bows gone?
« on: January 27, 2021, 02:00:11 PM »
Since booking a buffalo hunt I have been looking for a takedown bow around 75# at 28". They don't seem to exist. I have only found one and a little out of my price range. Seems in the 80s and 90s everyone shot too heavy of bows.  Someone must have a closet full??? :archer2:
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where have all the heavy bows gone?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 02:31:01 PM »
I've seen a few topics where lots of guys are getting the weights reduced. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to find a decently heavy draw weight for any of these models anymore if that keeps happening lol

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 02:46:26 PM »
Most of us are too old to pull them anymore.
Sam

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 03:01:09 PM »
All of the guys who shot those heavy bows are busy rehabbing their surgically repaired shoulders!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 03:23:34 PM »
All of the guys who shot those heavy bows are busy rehabbing their surgically repaired shoulders!

Not  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bodniknut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 03:28:50 PM »
Most of us are too old to pull them anymore.

This is the truth.

Offline Bodniknut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »

Sad, but true. I used to shoot 65-70# longbows, but no way can my shoulder handle it any longer. After 45 years of shooting, my shoulders just won't allow it. I just ordered my new bow 40#@28" at least I know I'll be able to shoot it for my remaining years, and it's just our legal draw weight.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 03:33:28 PM »
I've had too many surgeries on my shoulders and back to shoot any kind of " heavy weight" bows now a days. I'm lucky to be shooting low 40s now. Heck it still hurts.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 03:53:35 PM »
In the 1980s I shot a 67 lb. recurve but a 75 lb. bow is definitely not in the cards since I'm 75 now. I did shoot some Toelke Super Ds from 50-55 lbs. until recently. I strongly suggest you NEVER tear a rotator cuff and those bows are gone now. I am about 8 months and a fair bit of P.T. past that now and am expecting to have a new Toelke 66" Classic Whip 36 lbs. @29" in my hands shortly. Did I suggest never tearing a Rotator Cuff?

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »
Barring injury I'll be shooting 65#+ bows for a bit longer!!!  Trick is to warm up and continue to shoot as much weight as you accurately can.   Like Terry said "Not!!!"
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 04:21:43 PM »
Hmmm.  I shot what I consider heavy bows (60#-70#) during my 30s, 40s 50s and into my 60s.  Nearly 75 now, and I'm shooting 45#-50#, not because of any shoulder problems.  Just not as strong as I once was. Never had and still don't have shoulder problems. 

Heavy bows don't cause shoulder problems IMO, unless perhaps one shoots them improperly. A lot of folks injure their shoulders during a lifetime of living, and blame it on shooting heavy bows.  Might be that the heavy bows just alert them to the fact that they already have bad shoulders. 

Turkeyfoot:  Did you place a bows wanted ad?  Most folks don't list heavy bows for sale because there's very little market for them nowadays.  Bet a lot of folks have a bow or two they would sell. 

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:36 PM »
I’m 44 and just had my 3 rd shoulder surgery.  It is from living my life to the extreme not from bows. 

Have you looked at Ilf limbs. Some of them can be had cheap and in heavier draw weights.

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 05:03:32 PM »
I noticed the same thing, not to many years ago they would popup on classifieds—- not anymore.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »
i shoot 68-72# longbows,above that i found diminishing returns,,but if you want a heavy long bow,wapiti archery has a big horn long bow of mine he has been holing for me,i think its 90#...call him..ill sell it to you.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 05:08:32 PM »
At the last ETAR I seen several sets of 65# Bear T/D limbs for fifty dollars and they didn't sell.  And I have a few sets, and yes they are in the closet:( 
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 05:36:51 PM »
They went away when I got older.I was shooting 60-70 pound bows easily in my 30s.I could pull and shoot up to 90 pounds.I shot Big Jims 90 pounder at Comptons descently.

I am 58 now and shoot 40-45  mostly.As much as I need realistically for what I do.If I was gonna shoot really big game I would need to work up as much as possible.Probably wont be hunting Cape Buffalo etc anyway.

Oh to be young again!:)

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »
I just turned 72 and still shoot the same 70# bow I have shot for 25 years.  Probably come a day I will have to drop down some.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 06:17:21 PM »
Since booking a buffalo hunt I have been looking for a takedown bow around 75# at 28". They don't seem to exist. I have only found one and a little out of my price range. Seems in the 80s and 90s everyone shot too heavy of bows.  Someone must have a closet full??? :archer2:
What better reason to order a new one  :jumper: just kidding probably get it after the hunt!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 06:38:25 PM »
I never injured a shoulder shooting a bow.  But mid back injuries and shoulder injuries and surgeries from work and sports have left me making different decisions than the 83lbs I used to shoot as well.
I'm shooting through 200lb class wild boars with my 50lbs right now so I can't complain but ifn I were going for Cape Buffalo I'm sure I'd want a little more weight.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
    63 and still shooting in the 60# to 66# range with no problems. It was Jeff Massie who talked me into dropping weight as the new designs in the bows where able to produce greater performances at lower weights.I dropped 10#'s and have not seen a big difference. Mind you I still have a couple heavy Hills to play with.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©