3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where have all the heavy bows gone?  (Read 7674 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where have all the heavy bows gone?
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
That will be perfect for Buff, Chris.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2021, 09:20:40 AM »
Sweet find! That will be a good set-up. What are you planning on using arrow wise?

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2021, 10:07:38 AM »
Nice bow.

Online streamguy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
Beautiful bow.  I probably have more than enough heavy bows, but that one gives me the itch again.

I wish you the best of luck on the Buffalo hunt!

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
Silk n String with my 65 # I use a axis 400 with a 6" sleeve of 2020 over the top. 200 grain stainless insert with 200 grains of weight right behind that, 250 grain tip for a little over 1000 total grains. Will have to see what works with this new setup.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »
That sound like a winning combination. Best of luck on the hunt, please take us along with you through stories here when it happens!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2021, 01:38:48 PM »
As much as I know I can't pull it, and as much as I know I have no real need to be able to pull it, I sure miss my 78# longbow.
Sam

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2021, 03:03:22 PM »
Being a proponent of using as heavy a bow as one can handle well, I've been following this post since it started, just not chimed in till now.

TurkeyFoot, glad you found one, and that is a really nice looking bow for sure.

I've been using my 75# Blackwidow T/D longbow for quite some years now, on everything from Bunnies to Buffalo (our Water Buffalo), and based on my limited Buffalo experience, with 1000+ grains, perfect arrow flight and a properly sharp 2 blade broadhead in the right place from that poundage bow, I reckon you should be golden.

Please do share your journey on getting it tuned, and definately share your hunt.

Looking forward to the next chapter of this.

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »
Silk n String with my 65 # I use a axis 400 with a 6" sleeve of 2020 over the top. 200 grain stainless insert with 200 grains of weight right behind that, 250 grain tip for a little over 1000 total grains. Will have to see what works with this new setup.

WOW, awesome setup. what made you use a 400?? :bigsmyl: :laughing: :thumbsup: :tongue:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2021, 05:22:12 PM »

The sports therapy tension bands are a great item to use even in the off season to help. Different color bands represent different tensile strengths. Lengthen or shorten the band to increase or decrease draw weight accordingly and you can basically practice drawing and anchoring without a worry of dry firing a bow. I think the most expensive ones I've seen been around $30 Cdn, so.. roughly $20 US?

Amazon is your friend here gang if your interested in these.

Do you have any recommendations for workouts? I know you could just pull the bands to simulate pulling a bow, but understand you’ll fair much better if you’re balancing out all of the related muscle groups with a number of different movements.

I grew up doing a fair amount of farm work, but now 90% of my time is sitting in front of a computer all day. I’d love to move up in draw weight, but I’m a ways from that, strength-wise.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2021, 05:24:04 PM »
Turkey foot, that bow is a looker! Only way you’ll improve on that is to have it propped on a buff!  :archer:
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2021, 05:28:46 PM »
I do physical work all day and just slowly work up in bow weight and make sure I warm up and shoot daily. Ha yes Clint I take no credit for that arrow combination! I was struggling with high spines til I messaged you.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2021, 08:27:15 PM »
Didn’t Eichler kill the NA Slam with about a 54# setup? I’m part of that younger generation that “hasn’t thrown enough hay” and it isn’t because we “can’t” shoot more bow weight, it’s that we were fortunate to have years of information from those who came before us that a well-tuned arrow and sharp broadhead are more important than the number scribbled on your limb.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2021, 08:45:42 PM »
you got a 30" draw like Eichler? quite a difference between 54#@26" and 54#@30". not all 54# are created equal
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2021, 08:47:37 PM »
I heard Tom Clum say one inch of draw is equal to 6 or 8 pounds of bow weight in performance!

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2021, 09:11:21 PM »
I do. But my point is just that we’ve gathered a lot of knowledge over the years in the archery community. We now know for most - not all - situations, that high-end bow weights just aren’t necessary.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2021, 09:33:27 PM »
All things being equal, a well tuned arrow and a sharp broad head shot out of a heavier bow will be more effective even past the point of diminishing returns. I guess I wonder why, if you are physically able to shoot a heavier set-up, would you not want as much bow as you can shoot well?

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2021, 09:23:31 AM »
you got a 30" draw like Eichler? quite a difference between 54#@26" and 54#@30". not all 54# are created equal
Well said

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2021, 05:38:27 PM »
I do. But my point is just that we’ve gathered a lot of knowledge over the years in the archery community. We now know for most - not all - situations, that high-end bow weights just aren’t necessary.

Well, since he is planning on hunting Water Buffalo, I am not sure why you are referencing North American game that Eichler has shot.  Not really an apples to apples situation.

Here is a link to a Water Buffalo hunt that was done using heavier equipment than you describe. Unfortunately the photos were lost which showed alot, but pay attention to the description of the kill and the testing afterwards.  Things frequently don't work out like the Ashby studies when you are dealing with live mature buff bulls.  Asiatic or Cape.

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=59717.120
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:02:06 PM by pdk25 »

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »
And some food for thought.  There are no studies that prove that shooting heavy bows is linked to shoulder problems, and it is entirely possible that shooting marathon sessions with lighter bows would be more likely to cause repetitive stress injury.  Additionally, most people lose muscle mass as they age and have to drop bow weight.  Shooting  very light bows that can barely get the job done at an early age could cause some problems later on in life.  It goes without saying that  you need to be able to handle whatever weight that you are shooting well under the conditions in which the bow will be used.  Being overbowed is a problem, whether it is at 40 pounds or 80 pounds.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©