3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF tune stability?  (Read 760 times)

Offline howl

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF tune stability?
« on: January 29, 2021, 10:43:12 AM »
How often do ILF bows need to be retuned? My main reason for shooting trad is simplicity.

ILF speeds with foam/carbon at low draw weights are very attractive IF you could set it once and leave it alone thereafter. I could get used to shooting 35# for everything. What have y'all experienced long term?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: ILF tune stability?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
Most ILF risers have set screws that lock the limb bolt in place.  Once set, they shouldn't move. Only other thing that would take the bow "out of tune" so to speak would be a stretchy string, but that can be a problem with any bow. 

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 11:15:43 AM »
Not to belabor the obvious, but ILF bows, like all bows, need to be returned whenever you change arrows, or change the length, overall weight, or FOC of the arrows you are already using.  Sometimes if you buy the same arrows you're already using, they can be enough different to require a tweak in the tuning.  If you change your form, it could change the tuning.  Ken Beck advised us in a class one time to carry a bare shaft along when we practiced and shoot it from time to time to see if there were any unexpected changes to tuning.

ILF bows contain more adjustments than non-ILF bows, and those adjustments should be checked from time to time to see if they have moved.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 12:05:04 PM »
The only time you need to "Retune" an ILF bow is when you change something, either arrows, form, from shelf to a rest etc. Basically the same as any other bow. I have shot several ILF bows for several years and have never had to redo anything with tune unless I changed something in my equipment or form.

You can definitely tune it to you and leave it alone. It's basically just a tool less limb attachment system.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 03:07:38 PM »
Like McDave said, if you change something you have to retune.  I have been shooting an alum riser and I check all the settings a few times per year and have not had to retune over the past 3 years with my current set up. 
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 03:08:41 PM »
Sorry didn't acknowledge JR Williams for the same ideas. 
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:49:57 PM »
Have owned a host of different ILF rigs over the past 10 years. Believe there is always the possibility that one could go out of tune for a specific setup beyond universal string issues. I, personally, have not encountered one.

Taking advantage of the many benefits of an ILF are typically made by numerous trials and errors thus, gaining experience. Some of us enjoy tinkering.

I have not been able to discern your desire for an ILF rig since many takedowns will meet and/or exceed your aforementioned expectations.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©