3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where were the "How-to books" on bow building when I was a kid?  (Read 700 times)

Offline Si

• Trad Bowhunter
Where were the "How-to books" on bow building when I was a kid?
« on: January 31, 2021, 01:12:49 PM »
I have been making self-bows for 20 years but had it on my mind in 1957 as a farm kid in Kansas with oodles of Osage. My oldest books are from the 50's and only one ( The complete book of archery) had some how-to stuff in it like Tom Jennings making a Laminated Smithwick clone for Kittredge Bow Hut. At this point, I have quite a collection of Archery books and the only ones that have some "how-to" in them are  "Hunting with a bow and arrow by Saxton Pope 1923 for making a Yew bow" and "Archery Tackle- how to make it and use it by Adolph Shane 1936 that did have Osage instructions like following the grain". As a farm kid, my source of information was mainly from outdoor magazines. Some friends who saw saw me playing with my Lemonwood bow would say, " you should make one out of Hedge (Osage). I was very interested but when I asked about the How , they would say things about cutting a piece of Osage and sink it in a flowing stream to season it?? Anyway, I missed out on a lot with all the hedge posts setting around so I guess I didn't dig deep enough. Any other old guys out there with similar stories?

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where were the "How-to books" on bow building when I was a kid?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 01:17:37 PM »
I wonder if old George Herter sold anything on that back in the day.  Seems like he had about everything a kid could dream of.   :shaka:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:08:57 PM »
Well in 1957, for me, all the info was in a place I never wanted to go to unless it was absolutely necessary for school..... the Library.     :biglaugh:

Deno
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:15:17 PM by Deno »
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:02:06 AM »
I started my bow building journey in 1957 with the instructions of my boy scout master. He had all of us (maybe like 8 scouts) build a bow from 1/4" hickory slats if I am remembering correctly. But I had already built a bow from a window shade slat and a piece of string from chalk line. Used a milk weed for an arrow with a coke top bent over the end for a arrowhead.  I shot my cousin in the leg with it during the indian  war, his cap pistol was no match. I did get a pretty good reward from my Mother for that one.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
You should check out the Tradgang Digital Store for Dean's book...

https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »
I made limb bows out of green wood when I was 9 or 10, they shot about 20 yards. It wasn't until the late 80s or early 90s that really good bow making information became available. A friends homemade bow peaked my interest and I just happened to live in osage country so off I went.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:14:58 AM »
The only book I had access to as a kid was the Witchery of Archery. That was in the 50s.
 I just strung saplings for bows. We fletched tiny saplings with chicken feathers and tipped them with nails. Fun.
Jawge

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 09:35:56 AM »
I guess I built bows as a kid. I assume every kid that watched cowboys and indians did the same. But, it was in the 80's that I really became interested in archery with a Shakespeare recurve I recovered from an abandoned storage shed. Shortly after that I got interested in building selfbows. In 1987 I ordered "The Bowyers Craft" from Jay Massey then shortly after, in 1990 "The Book Of Primitive Archery", also by Jay(both signed to me) and Paul Comstock's "The Bent Stick" and the snowball was rolling and building.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »
Back then, what library would order such? Thank goodness for the internet, library apps and free books!

And TradGang! :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©