3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpacks and quivers  (Read 463 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Backpacks and quivers
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
I picvked up one of those German  surplus rucksacks that Cabelas and others sell. Wanting to put together a day/overnight pack for possible hunting incursions. Problem is arrows.My back quivers won't work with the pack and the side stalker type don't work very well at all. I'm no fan of bow quivers either. Anyone came up with a design that could attach to the pack somehow and could be taken off and used without the pack once at camp ? I'm thinking of maybe a Quickee type that could be disconnected from the pack and used as a side quiver w/o the pack. I just know someone here has done it before me.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpacks and quivers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
I think you just came up with you own answer.  Mounting a quiver bracket on the pack is not a difficult thing (adding a little bit of internal backing, and bolts).  Then, if you get something like Marc Baker's Quiver Caddy, you then have a really decent hip quiver.

Likely what I would do.

If you end up with something, post it.  Guys would be interested.  We all learn from each other's experiences.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Mark's caddy would work..great product.. :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Iam going through the same thing. Have a Catts side stalker quiver that I took the strap off of and then attatched to the daypack using conway buckles and small leather straps. With your pack you should be able to put a couple D rings on the pack to give the angle and height that you want.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
I made one that works great.  I will post some photos tonight.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
What about a GFA style quiver?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Add straps to the side of the ruck and strap your back quiver to it. You might need to add a "belt loop" or two to the back quiver to hold it in place but that wouldn't be too bad.

Strap it on for when you are walking and then unstrap when you get to camp and go hunting.

Also, check out the strap on quivers that Bison Gear offers. They strap right on to the top of your pack.

http://www.bisongearonline.com/catalog/item/2962908/2800016.htm#image_1
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Beepy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Yup, what I did (uuhh ummmm  in my wheelie days) was to take a compound quiver off and strap it right to the back of the pack... work fine

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Both Larry and I have been playing with adding the catquiver mini to our pack systems.  My wife got me a catquiver IV for Christmas, and the quiver part comes off.  You may need to sew some ladderlock buckles onto the ruck to accomodate the catquiver, but it'll detach quickly.  The Schuh packs have the same problem, and since it's a detachable system, it'll give you greater flexibility than just adding stuff to my cat IV.  Larry's the one who came up with the idea, so he's "Da Man"!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
QUIVER CADDY !!

It works with a pack, is not on your bow, can be moved and even carried by hand in really tight spots..
Worth the money and will last for years.
'Course that's my .02 worth of opinion...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
Jack bowyers Side quiver the Chief is tops in my book.

Second would be a cheap compound quiver slung like a side quiver using some 550 cord.  This works well with a great northern longbow quiver too, using the 550 cord as a strap and slung like a side quiver.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
That Quiver Caddy looks good. Still interested in any other designs you fellers have come up with though. If you have pics that would be nice too.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Here is my latest brain storm.  I hunted all day with it Monday, and it was the "bomb".  Best thing I've tried yet.  I had it on another cheap pack, as well.  I just received this one and it's better.  This is an ACU Stryker by Flying Circle Bags.  I like it a lot.  I was having problems packing out hogs and carrying my arrows at the same time.  I didn't like a bow quiver.  I can reload an arrow in this one without removing the pack. It's difficult, but works much easier than the Catquiver Mini that I had.  A plastic baggie stays in my pack for foul weather.  I found that not having a permanent hood allowed me to make this one several inches shorter, which is a good thing.  I used an old 4 arrow PSE bow quiver for the hood, a piece of aluminum tube that a flattened slightly for the fletch end, and a piece of ipe for the connecting piece.  I covered the pieces with some green leather that I had.  What do you think?

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Tim,

Go to Dean T's web page for the chief pics...they are much gooder then what I have up online.  

I'm using a regular wheel bow quiver right now slung with a piece of 550 cord and dont have pics of it it.  Will try and get some before I leave here...or better yet I'll get my GN quiver pics up when I return to AK, which will be in a few more weeks....  Got's more turkeys to go calln too  ;)

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
Looks sweet.  Great Idea Alex.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I had an old aluminum pack frame and mounted a bear quiver on the side. Then mounted the rucksack on the frame. Easy enuf and works just fine for me.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

I've been using a Lakota style quiver for a few years and it works well for me. We have a lot of steep thick brushy mountains and sometimes it rains for days. This quiver protects fletching and is manueverable in heavy brush. In much of this area anything mounted solid above your shoulders is going to catch on brush and trees and make the going very difficult.

The Quiver Caddy works well also. The question of which quiver is highly subjective and will vary with the individual.

The pack I'm using is a Bison Gear and works great for 2-4 day bivy hunts.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©