3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there a line in the sand?  (Read 1812 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is there a line in the sand?
« on: February 02, 2021, 05:31:09 PM »
If I introduced a new recurve, made of a material that would launch an arrow 300 fps, would you want it?

I ask this question as I just read an article regarding the regulations being modified in the world of golf.  It will limit the technological advances in club and ball design to eliminate "long ball" golf.  They have recognized that if they don't many of the famous golf courses throughout the world just won't be "usable" anymore.

Golf is suffering from the same issues that we in the "sport" hunting world have been seeing for at least 50 years now.  Striving to make technology "improve our game".

We really don't need to worry about "super" curves, newer compounds, crossbows, airguns for arrows etc.  I'm thinking we just need to limit arrow speed to 200 fps and everything will take care of itself.   :thumbsup:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there a line in the sand?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:48:07 PM »
No
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:54:04 PM »
Nope!  I'm fine with my 180fps (or slower) longbow! 
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 06:09:02 PM »
Suffering from the same issues hunting has for the last 50 years. Really?  Hunting has been suffering from a lack of recruitment even with the technology advancments.  We should be less concerned with what people use and more concerned in getting more people in the woods.   Personally  i would not buy the new 300 fps still doesnt out shoot the speed of sound.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 06:14:17 PM »
"more people in the woods", no thank you, not interested.  Pick any state, and look at what you would have to go through as a non resident to even try hunting there.  If our numbers are so few, why is that?  Irrespective I agree, I'm not interested in going over 200 either.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Lori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »
When we lived in Story City, my husband shot a small antlered big bodied buck clear across the pond in the Green Belt. He used the supposedly most advanced broadhead, the original, I think, 3 blade Wasp. Only one  part of one of those little razor blades remained intact, but his arrow flew completely through the buck anyway. Since those days we have advanced to better broad heads like Eskimos, Hunter's Heads and single bevel Howard Hills. The only advantage in a super fast recurve design would be that it would allow people to drop to lower draw weights to get the same amount of power.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 06:32:08 PM »
I think we need to limit things or we get too far removed from where we were. In my state you can do all sorts of things I refrain from in the name of “advancement”.
Lori you might need to go to a super light arrow or something to get that speed. In that case “power” would be limited. Even now real fast bows don’t contain more energy than a slower one when a heavy arrow is used. I’m sure you’ve heard the bike going 200 miles into a brick wall theory. All that happens is the bike is a mess. A train at 60 miles an hour blows through the wall. Which would have more “power”? Don’t feel I’m trying to criticize you, only explaining.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 06:34:48 PM »
No.
I'm fine with my 175 fps stickbow.

MSU

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »
I will stay with my self bows and 1960's Bear recurve. Cedar arrows have worked fine the last 55 years.

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 07:11:38 PM »
No. I'm fine with my Bear bows and I don't have a clue how fast they shoot.  :archer2:
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 07:16:09 PM »
I'll go against the grain and say I'd probably buy it or even better I'd be hoping I was the one who designed it.

Years ago when I went strictly to traditional bows, I kinda stuck my nose up at my wheel bow buddies. As I've gotten older and maybe wiser i no longer feel that way. Not everyone is cut out for or enjoys traditional bows in the degree that I do. So the fps thing doesn't so much bother me.

On the other hand bowhunting holds an aesthetic value to me. And most of the "designs" that can yield speeds over 200 fps are inherently ugly in my eyes.  This is included wheel bows and most of the "super" recurves. I would not hunt with a bow that is in my opinion ugly. So my answer is if I could design a bow that looks like my 3 piece recurves and shoot 300fps with a good hunting weight arrow I sure as hell would. But most likely not going to happen.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 07:36:03 PM »
I like my set ups the way they are.... it works.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 07:41:48 PM »
If I could drop 10# in draw weight and not have to make any mental adjustments sign me up. Maybe at “hunting “ ranges it doesn’t make a difference but I have always done more archery than hunting.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 08:29:45 PM »
All my bows push 640 grain Easton, or 700-900 wood arrows.  Mid 180's for lighter arrows and 170+ for the woodies.  That'll do!
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 08:46:57 PM »
I probably wouldn't but a recurve just because it shot 300 fps. But I certainly wouldn't care if that is what other guys want to get into. But then again, a 35lb recurve that would sling 600 grain arrows at 200 fps that draws smooth...………..well I may wait for a buddy to buy one and try it out.
God Bless

Numunuu

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 08:56:21 PM »
No.
I personally don't care about golf and it's plights.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 09:03:14 PM »
Na I'm good with my slow bows.

Offline howl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
... allow people to drop to lower draw weights to get the same amount of power.

'xactly.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 09:35:09 PM »
Many of us have drawn our own personal line in the sand. The tide of technology continually washes away the ideals of preservation.

The beloved tradition we both share and solemnly embrace requires a unity of commitment and an unrelenting resounding voice to endure.

Our legitimate concerns are a call to stand straight and tall in the face of buffeting winds.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:04:27 AM by Friend »
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 09:46:18 PM »
My compound shoots a 400 grain arrow at 285fps and even with mechanical heads blows through whitetail, big pigs and red deer.  So the false statements about fast and light vs slow and heavy are really a bad argument for anyone who has experience doing both.

That said two things would entice me to try one.  First speed gives you a more manageable trajectory.   Longer shots are less complex for the mind, eye and body to compensate for so perhaps my lethality would extend from 15 to 20 yards.
Second the point brought up earlier about being able to shoot lighter poundage and still be able to hunt effectively. 
The part that I haven't seen addressed is the resulting noise. 

But above all that, the most important point mentioned so far, is life is too short to hunt with an ugly bow.  So how it looked would play a significant role in my decision.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:52:41 PM by GCook »
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©