3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: R.I.P. MR. Bob Lee  (Read 787 times)

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
R.I.P. MR. Bob Lee
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
Folks, a few years ago I asked several outstanding gentlemen in Traditional Archery to sign a Signature Bow I titled "The Tradition Lives On". The Bow was raffled off for charity
Bob Lee was one of those gentlemen that signed this bow.

Here is him signing the bow, along with his lovely wife by his side.

I've also added a little of his History here.

I hope to enjoy reading it as much as I did.

Just a few facts about Mr. Bob Lee

1951 ~ Bob Lee forms Wing Archery Company in Houston, Texas, producing handcrafted, custom traditional archery equipment 1959 ~ Through dogged determination (and the donation of many Red Wing Hunter model bows), Bob Lee lobbies successfully for an archery-only hunting season 1959 ~ Bob assists in forming the Pope & Young Club, an organization dedicated to developing records for quality game taken with a bow and arrow -- the archery counterpart of the Boone & Crockett records club 1963 ~ Bob produces the Presentation II, the first laminated takedown (3-piece) bow. The P-II proves an overwhelming and immediate success, and will be regarded for decades to come as one of the finest models the industry has seen 1965 ~ The company relocates its operations to Jacksonville, Texas, establishing itself as one of the largest employers in the city, with shipments exceeding 300 bows per day 1968 ~ Bob is instrumental in forming the national Archery Manufacturers Organization (AMO), an association that develops industry trade standards for measuring bow weight, draw lengths, etc. 1968 ~ Bob sells Wing Archery, the third largest archery manufacturing company in the world, to Head Ski and remains as CEO 1972 ~ Bob Lee retires his position with Head Ski (then owned by AMF-Head) 1989 ~ Bob and son Rob form a partnership to launch Bob Lee Archery with a newfound commitment to the preservation of handcrafted, hand finished bows -- at a rate of up to 3 bows per day, a stark contrast to the mass production volume of the Wing heyday 2007 ~ Bob Lee is inducted into the National Bowhunters Hall of Fame at a dedication ceremony in Las Vegas before a standing ovation 2010 ~ The company moves into a newly-constructed facility on 9 acres in Jacksonville 2011 ~ The company celebrates Bob’s 60th anniversary in bow-building. The lobby in the new facility serves as a Wing museum where Bob’s first bow, produced in 1951, hangs with dozens of Wing models. Bob Lee bows continue to enjoy a steadfast market of loyalists around the globe. His Wing bows from decades past are coveted by collectors and still used by target shooters and hunters. And, at age 83, Bob still worked full-time in the business -- designing and handcrafting bows.

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: R.I.P. MR. Bob Lee
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 09:13:04 AM »
Can someone please rotate Mr Lee's photo for me, thanks.

Terry Harris

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
It's rotated.

:pray:

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 09:24:53 AM »
Thank you sir.

Terry Harris

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:16:47 AM »
One of the nice things about reading the stories of the archery leaders of days gone by is just how active they were in advancing the sport, not just making their own living. They were shooters, hunters, and contributors to the community. They formed archery organizations, such as Pope and Young as well as numerous other groups. Guys like Mr. Lee did more than just build quality archery equipment, they formed a family of like minded sportsmen who continue to promote bowhunting and social  interacting within the realm of archery. These, like Bob Lee, were/are great people. We are lucky that they cared about us, the average shooters.
Sam

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing this.  Quite a list of accomplishments and contributions.  The first traditional bow I purchased back in 1996 was a 64" Bob Lee Signature takedown 60 lb.@ 29" and so began my traditional journey.  One of a few bows that I'll never trade or sell.  Thanks Mr. Lee.  Prayers for his family and may he rest in peace. 
As a side note; for those that have not shot a Bob Lee, they are highly regarded for their grips.  Best grip in the business in my opinion.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:52:07 PM by Flingblade »

Offline sqrlgtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing this....
When the buffalo are gone,we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and want our freedom.(Chief Sitting Bull)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©