3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Before I start...  (Read 8236 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Before I start...
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 10:45:17 AM »
Killy,  That's a homey lookin camp. I like the look of the dark timber. Can you hang your deer in that tree on the left? :archer: :archer2: :thumbsup:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 05:17:40 PM »
That’s been done a couple-few times, Ron.
The last one I hung offa there was a spike named Punkin, who walked up from behind me and then went to my right, forcing a lefthanded shot with the 54.
That was many years ago.

Last one hung there was ApplePie’s 8 pointer. Can I show this pic here?

Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
Killy, I had a Baker for many, many years and it was fine for mild weather. I never used it in winter. I sold it and it was gone for quite a few years and bought it back again. Something happened in that time and even after waterproofing it again it leaked like a sieve at Baltimore one year and I got soaked. I gave it away. I had cut poles and the whole thing got to be a PITA. I don't recommend them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 05:52:20 PM »
Bummer.
They sure look nice, though.
Last fall we had mild temps and torrential rains (notice Bart’s sandals and our fire built in a downpour),but I don’t think ApplePie’s BSA Baker leaked.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 11:25:26 PM »
Killy,  that's a fine lookin buck and that traditional ML doesn't offend me I hunt with flintlocks myself.

I had a Baker for awhile and it was a great little camp, easy to set up. Keep the front flap up in the day and drop it at night. I had a small wood stove that kept us warm at night and Nancy could cook on it. I've got an old VHS tape of her coking bacon and eggs one morning on one of our fall hunts.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 06:29:03 AM »
Good morning Killdeer.
There's a young couple from Alaska, far north bushcraft and survival on the tube, that do alot of winter camping. They have hot tent and stove from Russian bear market. Check em out!
Have a good day!

Offline Lori

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 09:51:25 AM »
Killy, I looked for the pictures of the Eena wall tent and the EEna baker style set up. They must have been on the PC laptop that crashed. Eana no longer makes the Egyptian canvas. We had another baker style from them that was made out of boat awning nylon.  The thing leaked like it was never water proofed, Egyptian canvas needs no treatments, we tried sealing it, that lasted one canoe trip and then the next time it was leaking some again. When we got home my husband ripped in half and stuffed it the garbage. Duluth Pack makes a smaller model with the waxed canvas that is quite expensive and not as tall, but much heavier. I did a check, i cannot find anyone making the Egyptian canvas tents anymore. The one thing we are sure of is that our Baker canvas tent and the wall tent could withstand hail and tornadoes. It seems we got one or the other every time we went out with them during the summer.  The flat portion of the roof needs to be tilted down if there is heavy snow on the Baker. We lowered just one corner to achieve that. With the full screen front, it was a nice place to hang out on a cold rainy day on canoe trips. On one trip in Canada, one day it was over a hundred degrees. We spent the day in the water. The next day was cold and windy. We blew into a campsite on Shade Lake.  The next morning the tent was squeaking, touched the roof and a sheet of ice slid off the tent. A Baker tent heats up real nice with a small camp fire in front of it, as long as that is down wind.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:12:19 AM by Lori »

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2021, 10:43:04 AM »
Thank you Lori and Steve.
Duluth doesn’t carry tents anymore, it seems.
I looked at the bear, not big enough for our cookshack. Looking at snowtrekkers, maybe Montana canvas. Atuk.

I don.t want to end up with a heavy frame and heavy canvas, though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:17:33 PM by Killdeer »

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2021, 10:49:05 AM »
Love the camping trip story! And yes, I do that cockeyed front awning on all my tents! Looks sloppy, but it works!

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2021, 10:33:12 PM »
hi killy,good to see your words on this screen.
Hard to beat a good wall tent for a shelter in bad weather. For long stays or more people I use two tents with the doors facing each other with a four foot gap. I have a six foot canvas that covers the gap over the top and part of one side.I stack stove wood  on the side that's half covered. The big tent is the cook tent, the other for snoring. Two stoves if the weather gets real cold and the ground turns white.
A simple plastic tarp helps the snow slid off and helps any rain run off.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 06:49:42 PM »
Robin, I haven’t heard the sweet sound of your keyboard for way too long.

I would love a wall tent, but my back is so touchy that even my dear departed QH’s jog would make me worry. And I used to win that bareback dollar class!

So, lightweight canvas is what I am looking for, plus my space is very limited for drying out if I have to take it home wet. You still in the same ol’ place?

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2021, 11:49:24 PM »
Sorry to hear about your back.  Do you have any hot springs close to your huntin grounds? It feels pretty good on a sore back.

I made a half tent out of 10 oz sunforger canvas. It turned out pretty light.  Just enough room for myself and my cow dog and the flap hooks onto  my horse trailer.

Still in the same place but summer times are spent in the Blue Mountains. I do my best to keep the new grey wolves from tasting beef.

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2021, 01:44:56 AM »
Killy, I have two herniated discs in my thoracic spine, and they can ruin my day.  My daughter had me try magnesium oil.  Just spray it on and rub it in.  It usually gives me relief almost instantly.  I never would have believed it.  I'm not trying to play doctor, just hoping to help somebody else.
Again, I'm so glad to see you back here.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2021, 11:06:40 AM »
Killy, take a look at this

The Red Tent Company
https://theredtentcompany.com/baker-tents

Offline ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2021, 11:52:33 AM »
I've had a Davis tent for nearly 30 years, so many memories.

Take a look at their offerings, I see a few that could work for you.

Enjoy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:25:57 PM by ssoden »

Offline Judd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »
Killdeer-
I have owned a tentipi for 5 yrs. the Safir 15.
Previously we used a 12 x 15 wall canvas wall tent successfully.
The tentipi is so much easier to set up and take down, literally minutes (Ok 1/2 an hour) compared to over an hour with the wall tent.
The weight is about half of the old wall tent.
We do not have a wood stove but use a Mr. Heater propane heater, and it does a very good job.
The tipi is our "deer camp" in Pennsylvania, so we see rain and snow, we stay very dry and warm.
It is expensive, but I bought as my last tent purchase (I'm 64).
You can go with or without a floor, we always use the floor to increase the warmth factor.
We sleep 3-4 very comfortably, our cooking is all dehydrated food or sandwiches.
We have the drying ring suspended about 2/3 of the way up the walls it works well.
Use low cots if you can to conserve floor space, as the higher the cot the further away from the walls you will be.
I'll answer any questions you may have that i did not cover here.

Judd

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 11:27:07 PM »
Judd, that is exactly what I was looking at!

But, it is SO glampy! I blush, I kick at the price, but I am 64 and don’t know how many years I have left. If I had a house with a yard and a fire pit maybe I would not be so doggish about the bone, but I have a need for the quiet comfort of a wood stove.

The 15 would be the camp cookshack. It would have a stove. It would be floorless, or have carpet over a partial floor, but only to protect equipment or a cot.

Since hurricane Sandy, our winters have been fairly mild, though we get winds of 50 mph here and there. Sometimes 6” snow, sometimes lots of rain.

Wondering what is the max diameter of the stovepipe exit up top.
Are there double zipper pulls on the bottom three intake vents?
What (if anything) bugs you about your tent?
Do you use all the guyouts?
How is the door opening during a rainstorm? Do you have an awning?

Is there a way to make this thing feel like a Quarter Horse/cross instead of an Arabian? Prolly not. What I wish I could find is a wall tent that weighs nothing but feels like it does!

Closest I could find to that is a snowtrekker, the biggest I could get, but can’t get a good idea of how much walking around room it would have for five people cooking and doing dishes.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 10:34:48 PM »
I'm not sure I consider any tent out hunting "glampy". 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2021, 03:22:39 PM »
Killydear,
         i see you pretty much know exactly what you want but here is a link to the tents i drool over.
https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2021, 06:43:01 PM »
Kenny! Good to see you. But really, did you read my last paragraph? :knothead:

Trouble is, it is hard to get a feel for a tent through the pictures. I have a devil of a time getting good shots of mine, but add in the everybody using different lenses, well, a wide angle makes a one-man hooch look like a cathedral.

Nothing like hearing people tell of their personal experiences.
Have the Outfitter on another tab, comes 10x15. Looks a lot like my Eureka Timberline to set up, pretty simple. Don’t like the lack of an eave over the door, tho. Need the stove jack on the other side, too. Still dunno what it feels like inside. :dunno:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©