3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Before I start...  (Read 8232 times)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Before I start...
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2021, 02:33:48 PM »
Need more wood!
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »
Some years ago I was elk hunting in the mountains in Montana. I packed in all my gear in a backpack which included freeze dry food and a small one man tent. It got pretty cold and the first night and I didn't have any heat in the tent so my boots that I had taken off and laid beside my bed froze so stiff I couldn't get them on. The next night they went in the sleeping bag with me to keep from freezing.
Then one day in my wanderings I came across an old trappers or miners cabin. Part of the roof had colapsed but it had an old bed frame with springs and a stove made from a metal barrel. Needless to say I moved right in and spent the rest of my hunt a lot more comfortable.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2021, 08:11:12 PM »
Is that a transister sister to the right of the boots over the door?
What is the critter? Looks big for a squirrel.
Tasty?

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2021, 11:22:35 PM »
The critter is one of two Pine Martins I trapped. I had a Snowshoe rabbit I had shot with my slingshot hanging in a tree behind the cabin. A Martin got it and dragged it away to his den. I tracked him in the snow and made a pole set with a couple of the #1 traps I had brought with me and trapped two of them using what was left of the rabbit. They brought $50.00 each at the fur auction back home.

The stuff over the door is some patch lube for my muzzleloader. I think the year was 1972, my beard haden't even started to get gray yet.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:34:01 PM by Ron LaClair »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2021, 04:57:11 AM »
Hah! I’m 64 and my beard hasn’t a single gray hair!
How does pine marten taste?

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2021, 12:49:40 PM »
General rule for me is vegetarians taste better than carnivores. Nothing better
Than a fine shelter up in the wilderness.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2021, 06:30:29 PM »
I was wondering how the Menehunes got into your camp, then I realized I was hallucinating on your boots! You roasting pine martens? I swear, if I killed a coyote I would have to try it. Lotta folks would turn up their nose at catamount, till the stories got out about how good it is!

Skunk would take a little doin’. :saywhat:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2021, 06:56:12 PM »
Skunk would take a little doin’.

Once you get past the smell the meat is fine grain and tender, almost like eatin a cat. I hear tell mountain lion is larapin, I ain't never had it but I've had bobcat just a smaller version

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2021, 07:11:10 PM »
I swear, cats are on acid. :laughing:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Hay; I'm a cat lover......
They tast just like chicken.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2021, 07:42:04 PM »
Pork.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2021, 08:39:34 PM »
Sportsman's Guide has some Teepee tents reasonable.  Don't don't if they are worth your checking out.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2021, 09:04:29 PM »
Been looking worldwide. Found a great looking cookshack but they don’t ship to US or Canada.

Tentipi seems to be the bomb, here. Don’t want to deal with a BEEG bunch of canvas that would be iffy for a cookshack, but one for just me? ... :goldtooth:

Woodstove jones satisfied. :campfire:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2021, 09:39:36 PM »
My neighbor says that coyote back strap is good eating but I don't know if I'm up to trying it.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2021, 05:27:59 AM »
T’were a brave man, what first et a oyster.

Unlike with mushrooms, curiosity fulfillment would not harbor the possibility of being fatal.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2021, 09:22:25 PM »
Mt Lion is my favorite wild meat in the Blue Mountains.
Watch what you throw in your wood stoves killy, paper will sometime land on your tent and burn holes for the rain to get in.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2021, 10:50:20 PM »
Thanks Robin. Having a stove is new to me, and I have been reading everything I can find about it. Been managing campfires for years, correctly? Maybe. They seem to work OK.

I got a Four Dog stove with a baffle in it under the stovepipe coming, Don is (hopefully) waiting for the paint to dry, or engraving it or some such. I have plenty of time. And there’s a 1/16th cord of kiln dried hardwood in the front of my truck bed!

That will be a decent start for my learning curve.But between the baffle and a spark arrestor, I think I will be able to survive a little foolishness. Hmm. Maybe a stack robber...

Still dithering about how to dry it, I have no yard, but a 10x20 storage unit where I have dried my other tents, which are large, but synthetic. I may make a rack for that. No sense getting something if I can’t care for it.

The wall-type tents would be great, and ApplePie distracted me with the Selkirk Spike tents. But 100 pounds makes me like a thirty pound tipi better.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2021, 06:28:17 PM »
Wonderful to hear from you again Killie; 'been wondering how you were. Now about that tent tipi... to answer the OP (seems long ago and far away), I have not been in said tent. I have, however, lived in a traditional (canvas) tipi for a few years, in the Adirondacks, both with a stove and an open fire (not at the same time!). Have also had a lightweight backpacking tipi tent from Seek Outside.

I was puzzled trying to figure out what the TentTipis is, until I found it as the Nordic Tipi. I looked long and longingly at those a couple years ago, to use as a little retreat from the house. Haven't gotten one yet, but it may still happen! Let me be the first to say, I think your choice is excellent! I was also going to suggest maybe going for a smaller version than you started with, and I see you have. Good move.

I think you'll find the tent worth every penny, and with an ambience that isn't found in any rectangular alternatives. The fabric will perform better than the lightweight nylons for you, and have a better feel (take note that the Kifaru's and Seek Outsides are superb for when weight and packability are necessary; however condensation can indeed be an issue with them).

As far and being costly, I'm a believer in getting the right "thing", and being satisfied with how it performs, than trying to cut cost and gambling on suitability... Sometimes it costs more than we'd like (well, OK, it USUALLY costs more than we'd like), but better to feel content and confident than to wish you'd gotten the right thing at the start.

Enjoy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©