3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let’s talk multiple heart bypass surgery  (Read 2924 times)

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let’s talk multiple heart bypass surgery
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »
Best of luck on the recovery. Haven’t had bypass surgery, but 15 years ago I had a birth defect corrected where they broke my sternum and screwed in two titanium plates (among other things). The recovery is rough—I didn’t realize your sternum plays a role in everything other than wiggling your toes.  :biglaugh:

And definitely don’t puke if you can help it! Take my word for it.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online Bob T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 12:16:49 PM »
Gary, 30 years ago 3mo. after a 2 week hunting trip north of the artic circle in Alaska I had a heart attack. At the time I was 49 years old with 100% blockage of my widow maker. I had no pain just heartburn. They were not able to put a stent in as my artery is like a cork screw. We went to exercise and meds and kept a close eye on it. Ten years later on a hunting trip in Michigan I again had a heart attack. Again no pain just that something was not right. Went to the hospital in West Branch and had 100% blockage of my widow maker, 98% on the second  artery and 100% on the third artery. Was told that I should be dead. Was taken to Saginaw where they put a stent in one to get me home to Illinois. I had a stent put in one other artery back home and again they could not open the original widow maker. 5 years later I again went to the hospital when some thing was not right. No heart attack but they were finally able to open up the widow maker with a stent. All this time I was able to continue to hunt (18 trips to the Belfield area), go to 3d shoots, and go on camping trips. I never felt any different after the stents were put in but I never had any pain before my heart attacks. Like many others I feel very blessed as I will be 80 in a few months. Good luck with whatever you choose to do and God bless. :pray: :pray:

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »
I had quadruple bypass on 1/31/19 and released 6 days later. They had me start rehab 2 weeks later 3 days/wk  for 3 months. 2 months into rehab I started shooting a 35 lb recurve and shorty after was shooting my 52lb recurve. Everything went well and in June I was bear hunting in Ont. in Oct, I was climbing all over Kodiak  for sitka's. Listen to your rehab people and everything will work out. Good Luck!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »
Just had triple bypass in August. Was in hospital at Walter Reed for 10 days. So been 6 months. Never had a  heart attack. Found the problem with stress test and angiogram. Did not have any pain after surgury except if i coughed. Listen to the doc.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 08:05:05 PM »
Dad had triple bypass at 63 after a heart attack, made it until 86.  Once healed up he did everything and probably more.  Including a couple of DIY bow hunts in Colorado with me.  Shot the Cardiac course at ETAR every year up to age 85 just to "test the ticker."  Prayers and best of luck with this Gary.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 09:21:26 PM »
Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress.

Offline Floxter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »
I had a triple bypass at Univ. of Michigan hospital on Saturday, August 8th. at age 77.  Was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday, August 11th, with weight limitations of 10lbs for the first four weeks. Then the limitations were raised to 20lbs 'til December 10th when all limitations were lifted. I've been shooting since then. Started with a 30# bow and am now back to 42# comfortably. I did do twelve weeks of cardiac rehab three days/week which really helped. I had a physical therapist who is a competitive archer and she was a big help in working the upper body properly to get started. You need to be careful not to strain the sternum which is split during the operation and then wired back together. I now spend 40 minutes/day on stationary bike, elliptical machine, rowing machine, or treadmill every day and love the juice it gives me. Typically my blood pressure is about 118/60 after exercise and I consider myself fortunate. 
Jack

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 04:36:50 PM »
I have my annual check up scheduled this month. From some of the descriptions given of symptoms (or lack thereof) I have a few questions for the doc, especially since heart issues seem to run in my family on both sides. It is good to read about guys having great success with treatment. This thread is a very good reminder to so many of us who probably need to check up on the the old heart.
Sam

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 12:58:01 PM »
Amen Sam.  I feel very fortunate/blessed to be alive.  The scary part for me was I never ever had any chest pain.  Just shortness of breath.  And at that I didn’t really notice how bad it was getting. Not until my daughter commented on how out of breath I was after very little exertion.

It came on so gradual. One of the surgeons commented that I’d had it for a long time. Some of my veins were rerouting blood to badly needed areas of my heart.. Amazing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:18:55 PM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 01:23:29 PM »
Thats exactly the experience I had, Gary. I am a month and a few days from my quadruple bypass surgery. I could easily be dead by now if we didn't catch this thing in time. My widow maker was over 95% blocked. I now have a chance to have 10 or many more good years, instead of being another heart disease statistic.

I really recommend that everyone here over 40 should get a CT Coronary Calcium score test, if you have any symptoms or family history. The test is not too expensive, and can save your life. This is a test where 0 is the best score. My 47 year old Son took the test a couple weeks ago and had a 0 score. I guess he got his heart genetics from his Mom.

Hopefully by this fall, we will be back to bowhunting like nothing ever happened, and for many years to come.

Chuck

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2021, 09:52:14 PM »
I had my open heart surgery on Dec 16, 2020.  My vessels are fine but my aortic valve was crap, called Severe Aortic Stenosis, and my aorta was stretched way out of shape.  I now have a new valve and a new piece of aorta.  I really didn't have any symptoms other than lack of wind, which I just passed off to 69 years and not much exercise.  Like my buddy Chuck above, my rehab is going well and I already handle the hills better than before the cut.  I had very little pain and it only lasted a few days.  FWIW, Chuck and I had the same surgeon and he followed me by 3 weeks.  I'm pulling a 25 lb bow now 3 days a week, as a part of my exercise program.  I tried pulling a 33 lb, but let down before full draw as it felt like too much.  I'm still on a 30 lb weight restriction at this point and the last thing I want to do is over gross the sternum splice.  OHS is clearly a big deal, but these surgeons have a ton of experience with it and are really good.  Pay attention to what they tell you and it will work out well.  For all you guys who think you are OK, go get checked anyway.  I had no clue that I was 2 years or less from the casket.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 05:22:01 PM »
            Aug. 3,on a Monday this past year,had a heart attack,Aug.6 had a quadruple bypass.Three weeks later had
 emergency gallbladder surgery. My leg where they took the vein to use,was really the most pain to get over for me,took a while!I went back to work on Jan.11 2021,I started having back and rib pain,which i think is slowly getting better every day.Had 36 cardio therapy visits,really helped me get my strength back,don't over do it.Started back shooting my bow about the middle of Jan.It takes time,don't get in a hurrry. (i'm 63yrs)
                                              Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 06:01:21 PM »
I'll add one last thing to this thread. THERE is a reason why they ask about your family history! It doesn't lie.  Like I said earlier my Dad had a heart attack at a early age. Me and my brother had the usual blood tests run every year and passed with flying colors. You know the drill high bad cholesterol etc. but we both passed those tests with flying colors.   We BOTH needed heart stints or bypass. DON"T get a complacent thinking blood work gives the all clear.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 01:43:58 PM »
I guess I am a survivor...  Trip by pass and a laser, lung collapse while on by pass.  That was a while ago.  Followed the Dr's orders and came out fine.  Was shooting bows within 4 or so months.  No problems other then my sternum did not heal completely.  Now every so often when I cough there is a cracking sensation.  No big deal.  However, had a bit of a problem while I was in TX with my students and a stent was put in.  Also discovered some other problems and about 10 years ago had a defib/pacemaker put in.  My expulsion rate is not good but, I am getting short of wind again so its back to the heart guys for another look.

Other then that I am keeping on keeping on as best as I can.  Not exactly what I had pictured for my retirement,
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »
I can relate Bruce.  When I was in my thirties a guy who worked for me retired around the age of 67.  He only enjoyed about six months and then died.

I didn’t want to be that guy so I retired the first time at age 55, but then went back to work-and loved my job.

I retired again ten years later (on Nov 5th last year.

Two weeks later I had Covid, then strokes from Covid, then triple by-pass.  When I last saw my surgeon I said “until next time, and he replied there better not be a next time”.

So, starting pt and going to work hard on that.  Then bow hunting and fishing for as long as it lasts.
G
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 06:30:21 PM »
PM sent
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline iowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 11:29:43 AM »
Hi. I had 5 bypasses when I was 46. Stress test showed something was wrong. Over the years a few stents and er visits. Last year had about 4 caths, one vein kept plugging up. Did a lazer on it , still plugging up. Last option was to do some radiation or high risk 2nd bypass.Did the radiation back I'm november and okay so far. I'm 68 now and more concerned about diabetes that heart problems. I'm thankful to the Lord for living this long.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 07:41:06 PM »
Had quad bypass Oct 9th, 2009. Shot a doe (firearm, sorry) mid November. Bow killed a small 6 pointer the last week of Dec. First time out with a bow.  It was pretty sweet. Had a friend help drag that one and the doe.

You’re body will tell you. Have a light bow around , 30-35 pounder. Don’t push it too hard though
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 07:50:29 PM »
I will add that I had a little jaw pain a couple times, like you chewed gum too hard for too long. Mentioned it to wifey and away we went. EKG was bad. All the tread mills tests and getting injected , sonagrams was bs , didn’t show anything.

As I lay on the table getting a cardiac catheter and could feel it going thru me, the doctor said, you need open heart surgery. 2 days later, done.

Get a cardiac catheter. All those other tests are for paying off their old equipment. 
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 10:03:50 PM »
These stories are both amazing and terrifying at the same time...and I’m no spring chicken, but I’d like to hear your wisdom.

So, what would all of you do differently in your lives (if anything) if you were to step back in time to your early 20’s, and could see the future...

Would you have for instance eaten differently?
Changed your daily routines?
Drank less, more?  :laugh:

Whatever it might be..what advice would you give to the generations coming?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©