3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 pairs of limbs, or 2 bows ?  (Read 451 times)

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
2 pairs of limbs, or 2 bows ?
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
I've got a 45# TD recurve that I can shoot all day and not get tired.  I also have a 55# TD recurve that I will use for hunting. It is also a much nicer, and more expensive bow.  I checked on another set of limbs and was told they'd be $280.  So I'm thinkin' of sellin' the 45#er to buy the set of 45# limbs.
  I'm just wondering if I'd be better off to keep both bows and shoot both, or would I be better off with the one bow and 2 sets of limbs?  The bows are quite a bit different in both length and grips.
  For you guys with more than one set of limbs for your bow, do you think I'd be better off shooting the one bow and changing limbs, or should I just stick with the 2 bows ?

Online j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 pairs of limbs, or 2 bows ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
I like to have a second set of limbs for each t/d bow.  I have 2 sets for my ACS which are identical in lenght and weight, and I just ordered a Shawnee with 2 sets of identical limbs.  Most of my hunts involve travel to the hunting area either a long drive or a flight.  I do not want to have to worry if something happens to a set of limbs as I cannot just go get another or go home and grab another bow.  Also, having matched limbs lets me shoot the same riser with no adjustment period.  If the risers are different, I don't shoot as well going back and forth.
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Forget about pretty or expensive.Which one do you shoot the best?

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Yep, what RH Clark said.... Animal won't care what it was shot with.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
They both shoot fine.  The 45#er is 64".  I know alot of guys here can handle the longer bows fine in the woods, not me.  I like a shorter bow.  
  The 55#er is 58".  I like that length a whole lot more, and she feels great in the hand.
  Will changing 45# limbs, to 55# limbs make the bow shoot that much different ?  If so maybe I should just leave the bows alone.  I like the idea of just shooting one bow, but my shoulder won't let me shoot the 55# as much as I'd like.
  Do any others practice with lighter limbs, then switch to heavier ones for huntin' ?
  And J.J., I'm not worried about the same thing for back up.  I only hunt right around home.

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
I have two sets of limbs. 45 and 60#. Started with the 45# limbs and wanted something faster for hunting. In the beginning I got worried the heavy limbs were too much for me. I started doing push-ups and light weightlifting for my shoulders. In no time at all I'm shooting the 60#'ers exclusively.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
I use 51 and 56 on my go to bow and have changed to lighter limbs late in the season with more clothes and colder weather even in La.Kip

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
If it were me I would do my best to keep both bows and buy a lighter set of limbs also.It would be bad to sell the other bow and decide you don't like the lighter set of limbs after your bow is gone.

What is your draw length? Any chance your heavier shorter bow is stacking at your draw?

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
If it was me, I would get 50lb limbs. Going from 50 to 55 would be a lot easyer, especially with the same bow. And I think you will have no trouble getting use to 50lbs.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
personally I like two bows, kills the bank acct. but I shoot different bows in the same session sometimes just for pure fun and I wouldne handle having to change limbs all the time.

Happy shooting
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 06:01:00 AM »
I just ordered a 3rivers Dalaa so that I could do away with multiple bows and just change limbs as needed.  I think there is something to be said for sticking with the same bow; once you get used to the "feel" of a certain bow, switching to another can be iffy.  If you want to hunt with 55lbs, I would definitely get the second set of limbs much lighter, like even low 40's.  The heavier bow will mask form problems that will show up immediately on lighter bows, and you can shoot longer without wearing yourself out.  If you keep arrow grains per pound the same with both limbs, speed will be almost identical, so your mind won't have to adjust for different trajectories when you shoot (if you are an instinctive shooter).  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
Best buy I ever made was buying a checkmate firebird with 2 sets of limbs, one set at 45 lbs for cold weathewr hunting and one set of 52 lbs lims for early season....

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
If you keep arrow grains per pound the same with both limbs, speed will be almost identical, so your mind won't have to adjust for different trajectories when you shoot ..................

That's what I was wantin' to know Diamond Paul.
"Keep the grains per pound the same"  that makes sense.  Just get the right arrows too.  Thanks   :thumbsup:

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
In theory the same riser and two sets of limbs wins.I however have always found once I put a set on the bow and got use to it I seldom changed limbs.Great for backups and carrying but I still carry two bows about everywhere I go so it winds up being a wash.  :bigsmyl:  I just like shoot different bows too much for the whole muliple limb thing to really work for me.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
I like having two take-down bows that will shoot the same arrow well. While limbs are the most likely suspect for potential damage, I would hate to be in need of a riser and not have one.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©