3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cat Quiver ???  (Read 1854 times)

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cat Quiver ???
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:42:06 PM »
If everything goes as planned, heading back to Colorado in September with my brother hunting elk, and mule deer.  We were out there 2 years ago, came close but no arrows loosed.  Have been looking at the cat quiver 6-7s as I'm contemplating not using a bow mounted quiver.  Was curious if anyone has had experience with these packs in the mountains.  Packing meat is not a problem as we are using an outfitter that does a drop camp and will pack the meat out with horses for us, we just need to skin and quarter.  I have a viable pack that works, but was able to put way more "stuff" in it than probably needed, but being my first time I figured better safe than sorry.  I am curious if the main pack and smaller compartments are ok for day trips, not planning on any spike camping, so sleeping bag, and cooking things not really necessary, have a couple compact tarps, and survival blanket just in case though.  Just need room for extra clothes, rain gear, and such.  Thanks for any info provided.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cat Quiver ???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
Can't speak to the cat 6 or 7 but I can tell you that I use the mini cat in conjunction with one of my day packs and it works very well.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »
I think you will be fine with the  Cat Quiver. Been my experience that people either love them or hate them.  I have used the 1,2, and 3 plus the mini with good results.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:39:42 PM by ron w »
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 08:01:45 PM »
I’ve used most of the Catquivers off and on over the years. Currently I have a custom Bison Gear Catquiver. I think you’ll be fine with either model.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:17:24 PM »
I have nothing bad to say about a catquiver, I use a mini most of the time, that being said a couple of years back I used a catquiver 3 as a day pack in the San Juans. Im 5' 8" and shoot full length arrows and the bottom of the quiver caught my heels several times crossing logs and deadfalls and such so it didnt work for me in the rough mountain terrain. Shorter arrows or longer legs and it would not have been an issue. Just something to consider, Great quiver though!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »
I have the 6 and it has been a great pack, you can pack more than enough gear in it for a day or several days. I like the side pouches for calls, wind powder, they are EZ to get at. The main pouches i have food, first aid, saw, rope, TP  :goldtooth:, knives .... and probaly other stuff. The quiver I have is fleece and VERY quiet, I have seen some that are not fleece and not as quiet. I also have the water bottle pouch that easily holds a 32oz bottle. The straps and chest strap work well and its comfortable.

I have used it with and without the arrows attached. I like a bow quiver. The biggest problem I had with arrows attached was sitting and glassing if I had my back up to something like a tree. Also the pack itself is light.

I'll try and find some pics but I don't have access to my other computer with most of my pic
 files.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »
I have used a variety of CQs for years but mostly short distances, except for an elk hunt years ago.  I am 6ft, and did find that when dropping down (as in squatting or kneeling the bottom of the arrow quiver) or resting it  was an issue, but I got used to it and worked around it.  The original packs were made with a fleece that tore easily when too much pressure was placed on the zipper but more recently not a problem.  In a perfect world, I would trial one on a day hike and put yourself through some moves that challenge it.  I would hate to commit to a whole hunt and find it awkward.  The Mini attached to your other pack is a realistic alternative.  That said, I have been using them exclusively for >20 years as I love having my bow free of a quiver and arrows. For short distances and tree stand hunting they fit the bill perfectly.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I have a cat quiver 1 and really like it for stumping, and still hunting.  I'm leaning towards the 7 or 7.5 with the bigger pack, and it looks like the quiver is off to the side, so hopefully wouldn't to much of an issue going through brush or over logs.  My biggest concern was having enough room in the main pack plus room for the odds and ends.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©