3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Shakes  (Read 1918 times)

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Shakes
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
After 56 yrs you'd think I'd be calm and cool but sometimes I'm shaking right away sometimes  not but after the hit I'm definitely shook. When that ends I'll quit hunting!     

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »
I started deer hunting in 1964 with the rifle. After taking a fair number, the buck fever went away. Killing a deer became rather routine. Then I took up bow hunting, and now, for almost 30 years, have only used the bow. The buck fever once again became an issue. I think it has to do with distance and noise to a large degree. You are more likely to be seen and/or heard, so jumping the string is a likely result. This tends to condition us to be antsy. Recurrence and familiarity are, for me, the most likely cure for nervousness in any tense activity. I have a lousy release, so I spend a lot of time shooting from very close ranges, concentrating solely on a smooth release. On the last deer I killed, I was thinking about a smooth release all the way through, and the buck fever did not kick in till after the shot. However, I don't ever want buck fever to completely go away, because that is the most immediate indication of the excitement of the hunt - I just want to handle it well.
Sam

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2021, 12:07:24 PM »
Hunt or stalk as much as you can nothing like experience that being said still get excited after 40 years of bowhunting,
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline LMMdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2021, 06:33:29 PM »
I am 57 and been hunting since fore I can remember .  Dad always took me when I was little.  I have guided in TheSelway in Idaho.  Seen many many animals and been fortunate enough to take quite a few.  Even this year, filled my freezer with meat and every deer I saw whether a yearling to nice buck, I get the shakes so bad I literally believe I am going to fall from the tree.  And I absolutely love it.  When it stops, I will stop hunting.  Blessed to be able to share that sensation with my son and daughters and hope to share with my grandchildren one day.  Thanks for yalls time and for reading an old cripple mans ramblings.

Online Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 01:42:49 AM »
I am 57 and been hunting since fore I can remember .  Dad always took me when I was little.  I have guided in TheSelway in Idaho.  Seen many many animals and been fortunate enough to take quite a few.  Even this year, filled my freezer with meat and every deer I saw whether a yearling to nice buck, I get the shakes so bad I literally believe I am going to fall from the tree.  And I absolutely love it.  When it stops, I will stop hunting.  Blessed to be able to share that sensation with my son and daughters and hope to share with my grandchildren one day.  Thanks for yalls time and for reading an old cripple mans ramblings.

Hahah great post thats awesome, thanks for the shares everyone. Made me laugh when you said you absolutely love it, i get that brother.

Nice to know that the adrenaline doesnt go away with age. Enjoy the posts everyone!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:37 PM »
My second year of bowhunting whitetails in 1971 I fell apart when shooting. I shot a Bear B-Mag, 60" and 44# @ my 26" draw. I think the arrows were those old yellow Micro-flights that broke if you looked at em cross-eyed.

I shot a lot and could hit my sister's little troll dolls (yep, bad brother) at 33 yards the length of our backyard.

A doe and two fawns entered my spot. I missed each of those three deer, all within 20 yards. I was so nervous I just lost control. I missed one, it didn't run but I figured, "lucky deer" so I'd shoot at another. After I missed the entire "family" they tired of me and left.

I thought I'd have to quit bowhunting if I didn't learn how to maintain my composure. I was 17 years old. I found a way to maintain some composure but if I know I'm going to shoot, I still get nervous. But, when I raise my bow to shoot (I raise the bow and then draw to anchor), the shakes are gone, until after the shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©