3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Shakes  (Read 1923 times)

Online Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
The Shakes
« on: February 18, 2021, 11:13:59 AM »
Just like the title says. If you have experienced it, then you know what I’m talking about.

Just wanna hear some tales from the brothers and sisters here of those heart pounding situations. I find it amazing how we spend hours tuning and preparing but nothing ever prepares you when your body has a physical reaction when game steps into range and you have a bent stick and arrow in your hand.

I prefer those times when the animals spook you and you have no time but to react with a shot. Those long haul sits where they are playing peek a boo it can get a little hot. Hahaha thats my love of bow hunting, the pure adrenaline.

Take care everyone

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Shakes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:51:59 AM »
Self talk:  I tell myself this is not going to happen there is no need to be nervous.  There are still a million things that have to go right and I am not the lucky. It helps enough to be able to make a reasonable shot.  I do enjoy it when it happens. 

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:56:12 AM »
I actually prefer having time to think about my shot process.  I also like it when the animal is relaxed.  I've said it here before, a tightly wound animal makes me tightly wound.  Not a good combination for me :banghead:
Javaman Elkheart, 58", 51 @ 30
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 61 @ 29

Online Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 12:00:24 PM »
I agree. A relaxed animal helps me also.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »
I also prefer the quick happening shot where I just react and don’t have time to think  about it. Thinking is a bad thing.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Wellll,  I shoot a lot of 3d, and when a critter comes in I just consider it another 3d shot.  Slow deep breathing, focus on the spot.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:21:00 PM »
When I was a kid we used to talk about buck fever. I get it. My brother slightly younger would laugh and break our chops stating it’d never happen to him. So he decided to hunt, bow hunt w us. First doe picked her was up to him he started shaking. So hard he said the arrow was buzzing on the riser like an old door bell. Doe fever I’d never heard of it I told him. That was long ago.

Keep your mind open here now. You mention nothing ever prepares us. That’s not true lots can prepare us. Imagine our special forces guys. They’re required to shoot in very stressful circumstances. How often your hear one say they couldn’t? How’d they get there? They prepared themselves. Whenever I teach someone I think this is an important aspect and all part of it before they ever begin to hunt.
Very simply you can get an old ceiling tile or piece of card board. Make a tic tac toe board. Make a small wager perhaps. Whoever wins 2/3 comes from a better country, has a better wife, or simply has to buy the other a coke. You’ll want to win right? You’ll be shooting under some pressure and need to learn to handle it.
Now make a pyramid. Whoever shoots nearest the tip say 10 times wins. Similar wagers or just good natured “king” title for today. Bet everyone wants to win. As kids, I don’t condone this now because of clubs expense but we’d shoot 3D and try to hit each other’s arrow. The first guy to shoot put it on nose tip. If you missed you’d lose or break an arrow. Stress again. Walk quickly on a 3D course. Shoot now before you completely relax or do so rushed before work or with your wife complaining to take out the garbage already lol. More stress. Think about a bionic deer. The ones around here at shoots are 10-15 yards out with a softball or slightly larger size hole. How on earth can guys not get through that? Stress. Practice under it.  You get my drift but you can and should introduce it into your pre season shooting. Imo not doing so is detrimental
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 01:28:40 PM »
Good thoughts so far. Going along with what Bowguy said, I could see during practice sessions putting yourself under mild physical stress right before a shot helping. Doing some burpees or jumping jacks prior to the shot could simulate that adrenaline dump. If you’re not physically capable of doing that, even just some faster pace walking or climbing a small hill... anything to get the heart rate up. This is something I need to do more of.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »
Yes I try and stay in the moment and breathe. Like a jedi I can settle down and enter a zen state of mental focus. Its taken me years of hunting and lots of trial and error I will admit. Practicing under high stress is great. I told a buddy to call his ex gf and hang up and then immediately take a shot. He was to scared too haha.

I like reading what you guys have to say. Very cool information. Stay warm everyone.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »
Hunting hogs spot-n-stalk usually don't have time to think.  Just draw and release, usually don't remember that either.
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 02:02:29 PM »
Hunting hogs spot-n-stalk usually don't have time to think.  Just draw and release, usually don't remember that either.
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:

Yessir. You’ll never have to go hungry with your killer instinct

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »
Used to get them when I was a kid. Even a sitting rabbit with my bow I would get them. Really didn’t give it much thought later on until one day hunting deer and waiting for that shot. Never got that good shot but noticed I wasn’t shaking or nervous. Guess two tours in Nam took that out of me.

Online Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »
Used to get them when I was a kid. Even a sitting rabbit with my bow I would get them. Really didn’t give it much thought later on until one day hunting deer and waiting for that shot. Never got that good shot but noticed I wasn’t shaking or nervous. Guess two tours in Nam took that out of me.

Thanks brother. My great-uncle served in the US Marines and his name is on the wall in Washington D.C. Appreciate all you Men and Women of service.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »

Thank you for your sacrifice and service brother.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 02:20:23 PM »
. Guess two tours in Nam took that out of me.

I would think that would certainly put things in perspective. Thank you for your service.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 05:45:30 PM »
Partly, for me, it's exposure.  The more I hunt and the more times I draw on animals, the less it gets me. 

But excitement is excitement.  The turkey that thundered off a gobble mere feet behind me, the bear that appeared out of nowhere to walk right in front of me, the deer that held tighter than a quail before pronking off -- those unexpected startles take a minute or two to wear off.  I still get some shakes when I have just enough time to get the adrenaline dump but not enough to calm down.  If it's fast, I hardly notice -- it's just autopilot.  A short delay can get me all jittery.  Just a little longer and I can calm myself down enough to lose the shakes again.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »
Shaking like Jon  Voight had in the movie “Deliverance”?  I’ve never experienced them.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 09:11:12 PM »
After sitting in a stand for hours on a cold day, I get bvb the shakes just by climbing down.  Yep, I'm a wuss
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Bisch

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 01:31:16 AM »
I usually get a little nervous when something nice first walks out. When I decided it’s time for a shot, I usually go to a very calm place and perceive no nerves while taking a shot. I fall to pieces with the shakes after I see the feathers zip thru a critter.

Bisch

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 07:43:06 AM »
What he said.^^^^^^
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©