3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: woodsman broadheads on lower poundage bows  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
woodsman broadheads on lower poundage bows
« on: February 19, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »
curious who uses woodsman with 40 pound bows (on deer)? What are your experiences?
Slickhead

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
Re: woodsman broadheads on lower poundage bows
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:40:58 PM »
My wife and Son both killed small hogs with 32 pound Bear Kodiaks. They were shooting carbon arrows with 225 up front. The hogs weren’t very big, I would say 40 pounds, but they went all the way through.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »
2 years ago 300# black bear with one (the elite/VPA version), the arrow hit the ground on the exit side due to the angle and the bear snapped the shaft.  Otherwise would have kept going.  Also had a full pass through on a doe that year using one.  41# LB. 
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 05:23:30 PM »
40# at what draw length? Most times these threads leave that out. 40# @ 24” is not comparable to 40# @ 28” or 29”

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 05:32:49 PM »
40 # @ 28
Slickhead

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:16:29 PM »
Hopefully find out this fall. Just got a Java Man Falcon  around 43# @ 27 using 500 heritage classics tipped with Wensels.

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 07:36:38 PM »
40# at what draw length? Most times these threads leave that out. 40# @ 24” is not comparable to 40# @ 28” or 29”

This is an honest question...how does draw length matter if the poundage is the same? I’ve seen this mentioned before, but don’t understand the physics behind the difference.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 07:42:48 PM »
My guess is,  string is pushing the arrow longer. 

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 08:30:38 PM »
At my draw my bow is 41#
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
The farther you draw the bow the more energy you store in it.  With more potential energy in the drawn bow, there will be more kinetic energy in the released arrow – more arrow speed.

Just some of the variables:
~4 fps increase per inch of draw length maintaining the same draw wt and same bow make
~1.5 fps increase per pound of draw wt increase using the same bow make
Hi performance bows may shoot over 7 ½ fps faster than a middle of the road performer
Up to 10 fps variation between individuals

There are too many to definitively nail it down. Experience from consistent positive results would likely be more reliable.

Just a note: I have guided a particular gentleman on three successful hunts that was shooting a lower velocity performer…42@25…actual draw was 25”s…and had two complete pass thrus and one was spined….the setups lethality’s focus was on the over-all arrow design.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 09:41:03 PM »

This is an honest question...how does draw length matter if the poundage is the same? I’ve seen this mentioned before, but don’t understand the physics behind the difference.

It’s all about the power stroke,as Friend stated. Example a 45# recurve with a 29” draw 45# @29” would be faster than the same recurve bow in a 55# @ 25” 55#@25” so 3-4” of draw would be close to 10 pounds of draw weight if not more. That’s why these 35# or 40# draw weight discussions require the draw length or it’s all meaningless. It’s not that a 40#@25” can’t kill a deer, there’s just no comparison with a 3-4” longer draw, and should be considered when trying to compare your set ups to someone else.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 09:12:55 AM »
Unfortunately even with draw lengths included there still remains a bit of discrepancy.  Different bows as well as shooting styles produce different results downrange.  Ive always thought comparing total arrow weight and actual speed in fps would give us a more accurate basis for comparison.  For example a 400 grain arrow going 155 fps... 
But not everyone has a chrono.
Btw, whenever i post results i try to remember to talk poundage at my 26.5 draw length.  As said what is marked on the bow may or may not reflect what one is getting out of that bow based on their draw length.  Amazing the difference in speeds between my stubby 26.5" dl and my buddy's 29 1/2" dl.
It does seem to be a common practice to reference the number marked on the bow.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 02:06:43 PM »
Have not used woodsmans but have used VPA's, Snuffers and Instincts with bows from 38-42 lbs and havent had the least bit trouble with them on deer. If you get that thing really sharp you'll have no problems ;)
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »
Every deer on this wall was taken with a 46# recurve and a 3-blade head. WWElite and Magnus Snuffer SS. Know you effective range and put it in the boiler room!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/egaykvKGLhh7Yndc7

"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 04:50:01 PM »
Every deer on this wall was taken with a 46# recurve and a 3-blade head. WWElite and Magnus Snuffer SS. Know you effective range and put it in the boiler room!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/egaykvKGLhh7Yndc7
              What broadhead are you currently shooting,if you don't mind me asking?
                          Thanks Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »
125 grain Woodsman Elite. 
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 11:14:31 PM »
Ive used 2 and 3 blades. But Im lowering poundage from 50-40
Slickhead

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 08:55:10 AM »

The longer the draw length the longer the arrow gets to ride the power stroke of the bow. The more speed and energy that is given to the arrow.
The shorter the brace height the LONGER the ride. The longer the brace height, the SHORTER the ride.
This is why bow with longer brace heights are more forgiving so to say. Because the arrow comes off sooner and has less influence. The shorter the brace it rides the power stroke longer and can have or be influenced by the shooter.
This is why a guy that has a long draw length at the same poundage has a huge advantage over a guy with a shorter draw length.
So one has to compare things when talking penetration, you have to compare apple to apple.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 06:53:45 PM »
I shoot 45# at 29” and WW’s have been a great broadheads for me for sure. Yes they have flaws and sharpening can be a challenge if the grinds aren’t even. But once sharpend there great.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 07:16:18 PM »
Also my experience is only with the originals. And the majority of my deer have been taken by them.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©