3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HALO containment for blood tracker dog  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
HALO containment for blood tracker dog
« on: February 27, 2021, 08:49:12 AM »
My little Jack Russell has as much excitement about seeing deer in the field as I do. And she can't resist her nose if one is near. If I am out shooting some arrows and the dog is along having a good time, I always have to keep an eye on her in case a deer runs out or any other distraction draws her away. And she has no intention of listening to me until she is good and ready to come back! It's hard to shoot when you have one eye on a knot headed dog.
 Has anyone used those satellite dog collars? Spoton or Halo. They seem perfect. They work like an underground fence but no wire is needed. I can't really find a solid review. They are pretty expensive to experiment with.
I have several scenarios where the size of her containment would be different. Like weekdays it would be just around the house. But when we go hang stands or water trees maybe she gets a big field. And then if we were blood tacking a bow shot deer she would get the whole farm. The apps for the collars allow you to make multiple containment areas.
They tell you if your dog escapes and shows you where it is. One of them even guides the dog back into the containment area.
It seems to good to be true. Any  experience?
Thanks in advance
Tedd

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HALO containment for blood tracker dog
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 09:19:36 AM »
Can you just train her on a regular E-collar?  It seems it would be hard to train a dog to stay inside a moving set of boundary lines? With the e-collar I can remind my dogs to stay close with just a tone.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 07:43:40 PM »
Yeah but with the e collar you still have to keep an eye on them.   The system he is mentioning allows you to set and have confidence the dog stays within set parameters.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline howl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 08:10:09 PM »
If a gritty dog wants out of a containment area, it will get out. None of the varieties of electric fencing will shock a dog enough to prevent it. You have to go to a quality training collar for that, using good judgement and sticking to a training plan.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 08:50:14 PM »
Yeah but with the e collar you still have to keep an eye on them.   The system he is mentioning allows you to set and have confidence the dog stays within set parameters.

Put a bell on it. When you don’t hear the bell, give a tone on the collar.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »
I use a garmin alpha t 100, shows direction and distance where you dog is.  After you train your dog just a beep will bring him back.  Might be too large for a Jack but works on a Beagle.
https://www.lcsupply.com/products/garmin-alpha-100-with-tt15-collar-bundle

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »
Our little Jack Russell, Zip is all about squirrels, deer and rabbits.  She does know the word no and when said firmly it locks her up.  I did need to use a shock collar, but she's so sensitive usually just the vibration signal is enough.  I did have to use a bit of juice a couple times when she didn't respond to command or vibrate.  Im don't like using this, but its important that i can stop her if she's headed toward danger.  Jack Russell s are very good at reading emotions and usually just tone of voice is enough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©