3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Axis / Fallow Hunting?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
Texas Axis / Fallow Hunting?
« on: March 07, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »
With thoughts of having something to look forward to if this Covid fiasco every ends I'm wanting to travel & try for an Axis / Fallow buck with my recurve. Any Texas Ranch recommendations? I looked into Australia / Argentina / Spain but for the extra cost of flights I could hunt another species. Thx  :shaka:

Offline Horsehide

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Axis / Fallow Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:50:35 PM »
London Oaks Ranch, in the Hill Country, has both Axis and Fallow deers. I saw some beauties out there.
It is also owned and operated by trad bowhunters who put their hearts in that ranch.
A class act all around.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »
London Oaks Ranch, in the Hill Country, has both Axis and Fallow deers. I saw some beauties out there.
It is also owned and operated by trad bowhunters who put their hearts in that ranch.
A class act all around.

I'll second this.  Tim and his family are salt of the earth people and will do everything in their power to help you be successful.   I've got a weekend in late September scheduled there.  Since my first trip there last late September. 
His set ups are trad friendly and incorporate quadpod stands and elevated or ground based blinds.  Everything allows clearance for traditional bows because they are traditional hunters themselves.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 08:53:49 PM »
Thx! I’ll check into London Oaks Ranch.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 01:57:32 AM »
It's funny you mention Australia because there is a town about 1hr west of me called Texas. there is both axis and fallow there.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 09:04:09 PM »
Best check around real hard. I understand all of texas exotics took a hard dropoff during this freeze

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:40:38 AM »
Ya. I was told the recent cold snap caused lots of issues. Ranches having to cancel hunts & refund deposits because of die offs.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »
I spoke with the owner of LOR and he said they lost a few but has a breeding size heard of all his animals.  But honestly they were well stocked the two times I've been there so I believe it will be fine.  I have a weekend in September booked and expect I'll be alright.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 08:03:08 PM »
We just came back from Texas and we seen axis deer and my boy shot one while we were pig hunting this was after the cold and snow . It was an escapee from the neighbors high fence . 
  The cold really took a toll on some of the animals and the foliage . It probably wiped out most of the quail and there were no road runners that we seen . On our trail cameras we seen no piglets in the herds and there is always alot of them they must have frozen . But I think you will find lots of axis deer we seen many dead in the ditches hit by cars and we seen them feeding behind high fences . I think the black bucks took it worse .

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 09:38:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies & updates!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »
Looks like some ranches are gonna pass on hunts this year.  I understand that.  It's easy for me to be understanding though when I have a place with lots of pigs and will hunt all the time anyway.
I feel for the hunters who will miss out.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
Careful with the HF talk people will shut this post down.  There’s several good ones T3, LO, diamond C, big oak, just depends what you looking for.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 10:58:43 AM »
Most of the exotics are behind high fences Ive hunted Texas for 22 years and never been behind a  high fence we mostly hunt hogs and predators. My son has shot free ranging axis and aoudads in Texas .
 I would love to hunt Australia and Hawaii for axis  and fallow deer and throw in some hogs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©