3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Australia/NZ hunt?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Australia/NZ hunt?
« on: March 09, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »
While I was at the Iowa Deer Classic this past weekend, my lovely wife stopped by one of the booths offering hunts in Africa and mentioned how much she would enjoy a trip like that where I could hunt and she could relax.

Africa sounds more like a retirement trip for me, plus I'd rather spot and stalk anyway as I primarily hunt from stands here for whitetail anyway.

I've always wanted to hunt fallow bucks in the rut, and Australia or New Zealand would be an ideal couples trip I'm thinking.

Wondering if anyone has any contacts for either Aussie/NZ that they would mind letting me know about?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Australia/NZ hunt?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »
Never been to Australia...but have been to NZ twice.  The south island is the most beautiful place I've ever seen.  Its a post card around every curve.

Want to make your wife REAL happy?  Stay in a hotel on the hill above Queenstown overlooking downtown at all the shops, Lake Wakatipu and the mountain range 'The Remarkables'. Your wife will love you till eternity and beyond, and you would love it also.

You can search for hunting guides in Queenstown NZ, I can't remember who we used, its been 18 years ago, but most of those are real honest salt of the earth guys.  NZ is also one of the most friendly and neighborly places I've ever been.  The people there are just great.

If you decide to do some fly fishing while you are down there, look Nick up at
https://www.southerntrout.co.nz/.  Tell him the red head that caught the 12 pound brown on The Nevis sent ya.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 01:33:04 PM »
Talk with Shankspony, he is a member here and lives in NZ. Bet he can point you in the right direction for hunting NZ.

Z

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »
I chose the NZ North Island in being generally much more conducive to traditional archery spot and stalk. The South Island was formed by earthquakes thus hi mountains and much open terrain. The North Island was formed by volcanos with much rolling terrain and lush vegetation. The longest we glassed in 8 days was 15 seconds. Note: I was hunting approximately an hour away from the 'Lord of the Rings" mountain.

Was the best hunt of my life. Finding a fair chase hunt with an outfitter can be challenging. I selected Wildside Hunting Safaris after numerous both highly reliable and respectable references in the hunting world.

Gerald Fluerty is a 5th generation professional hunter and a seasoned expert in successfully guiding traditional hunters. If I could choose another hunt anywhere in the world, I would return to Wildside Hunting Safaris.

Saw numerous fallow stags that were dandies.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 02:53:13 PM »
Yeah Scott, we hunted the North Island the 2nd trip, and fly fished the Tongariro and hammered em.  Lots of game for sure, Dad got a fallow.  Those wild goats were everywhere! I had two run ins on Fallow but it just didn't come together.  I slide on down a hill slowly sitting down for about 75 yards and almost got  withing range on a fallow, but a Goat told on me.  I had goat and sheep shite ALL ground into the but of my pants.  Those piles were every 10 inches apart it seemed.  Any I was one ridge over when they were filming Lord of the Rings, I had no idea or I would have had a look see.

Lots of Game and Lots of Trout on the North Island as well.... I just love the scenery of the South Island

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
Never been to Australia...but have been to NZ twice.  The south island is the most beautiful place I've ever seen.  Its a post card around every curve.

Want to make your wife REAL happy?  Stay in a hotel on the hill above Queenstown overlooking downtown at all the shops, Lake Wakatipu and the mountain range 'The Remarkables'. Your wife will love you till eternity and beyond, and you would love it also.

You can search for hunting guides in Queenstown NZ, I can't remember who we used, its been 18 years ago, but most of those are real honest salt of the earth guys.  NZ is also one of the most friendly and neighborly places I've ever been.  The people there are just great.

If you decide to do some fly fishing while you are down there, look Nick up at
https://www.southerntrout.co.nz/.  Tell him the red head that caught the 12 pound brown on The Nevis sent ya.

That looks stunning Terry. I do love to fly fish, my poor Winston fly rod hasn't been cast since I left Montana!

How do you like the trout fishing down in GA? My wife and I are considering a move up by Blue Ridge once she graduates.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
There is some decent fly fishing in GA, but ya kinda gotta know where to go.

But! you will not be too far from Benton TN,  The Haiwassee River there is fabulous. Been many of a 30 trout day for me and my friend. Its 300 yards wide in some places. We've evan seen bears at the river there.

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 11:07:35 PM »
Talk with Shankspony, he is a member here and lives in NZ. Bet he can point you in the right direction for hunting NZ.

Z

Cheers Z.

Yep will give you any help I can Iowa Bowhunter.  Pity the country is not taking visitors right now, or Id say get your butt here next month. Its coming into the fallow rut.
For some world class fallow bucks, id say the South Island though has the edge. I know a couple of top guides down that way that i can give you details for if you wish.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »

Z

Cheers Z.

Yep will give you any help I can Iowa Bowhunter.  Pity the country is not taking visitors right now, or Id say get your butt here next month. Its coming into the fallow rut.
For some world class fallow bucks, id say the South Island though has the edge. I know a couple of top guides down that way that i can give you details for if you wish.

That would be great!

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 01:02:44 PM »
Ive just been doing some research for you. Im not sure if I am allowed to post links, so wont unless I get permission, but will just list the guys who I think will give you a great time. Its important to know that the NZ guiding industry is unregulated, and the organisation representing them- The NZPHGA- actually has no clout as far as ethics or behaviour gos.
With that in mind, I have stuck to recommending you guys who I have met or talked with somewhat and who have a reputation as honest, positive guides.

Chris Mcarthy of Lake Hawea Hunting Safaris.- Chris has been in the game a long time and understands his client well. he spends most off seasons in NZ, guiding in the states or Canada for mountain game.

Marcus Pinny, of wilderness Trophy hunting- Note hes mostly been a Tahr and Chamois Guide, but I hear he has secured a fantastic fallow property, and his website says coming soon on fallow, so He would be worth talking too.

Joseph Peter Of Hard yards Hunting-  Joseph only offers free range hunts and is one of the hardest working guides out there- You will see again there is not alot of info about fallow. Mostly this is because the average hunter coming to NZ is after a red stag, and other hunts are lower income earners that are often tagged onto the red stag hunt.
Its worth contacting all these guys to see what they can offer you.

And finally

Gerald Telford, of Telford hunting and fishing- I know hes got some great fallow areas, and is well respected and has been guiding most of his life. He's also done a bit of bow hunting himself. I spent a day hunting pheasants with him on my place last year and got on well with him.

Some issues- the hunting industry has been smashed by our countries response to Covid, alot of the guides have been forced to take up other jobs. In some areas there will not have been any restocking of animals, but if you are after free range hunting, then that should not be an issue. The upside is that alot of game has not been hunted for a couple of years and the first season after this all ends will see some cracker heads taken I suspect.

Also if you are in the country for a while and end up in my area, Ill happily host you and do some hunting at my place if you are keen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©