3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads for the sharpening challenged  (Read 3938 times)

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads for the sharpening challenged
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:35:23 AM »
Team
What broadheads come sharpened that don't need to sharpened before taking to the field. I will admit I have tried everything from files, to sandpaper to jigs and I'm never getting a broadhead "scary" sharp.
I primarily hunt whitetails and black bears so I don't need a magnum sized broadhead but I want to get the sharpest one I can get out of the box.

Thank you

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Broadheads for the sharpening challenged
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:46:33 AM »
Regardless of how sharp they are out of the box, they will dull from being carried around in a quiver, any quiver. So don't give up on learning how to sharpen or at least touch up heads.  Most of the heads I use, Zwickey, STOS, Woodsmans, need additional sharpening as they come from the manufacturer.  One that doesn't is an Abowyer head.  Will need to touch it up over time, however.

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:54:56 AM »
As mentioned earlier, a sharp broadhead out of the box or home-sharpened will need to be touched up in the field. Unless it was shot, that simply means stropping. I use my pantleg, denim works very well. Just place your broadhead on your pantleg and lightly draw the blade away from the cutting edge several times. Flip the blade and repeat. It'll take a sharp blade to scary sharp!
Joe

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 11:45:37 AM »
If you want screw in broadheads, check out Magnus Stingers.  They’re the sharpest out of the package that I’ve ever seen...

Offline Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 12:41:24 PM »
A tuffhead single bevel comes sharp as a razor. You will still need to touch it up before and after hunts. Usually a few passes on fine grit sandpaper and then a few passes on a leather strop will give you an incredibly sharp edge.

Single bevels can be forgiving to learn on. Sharpening is just something you have to learn to do to be an ethical hunter. You want that animal to pass on peacefully and a razor sharp broadhead will do that. A dull head will cause a bad wound and the animal can run for miles on adrenaline and die a slow painful death. Take the time and learn for the animals sake.

Just my opinion

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 03:52:41 PM »
I’ll just never get it. There’s no magic in sharpening. It’s a skill you need to learn. What about your knives? Do you just buy a new one each time? Don’t give up on the skill.  It’s not hard and you’re not incapable.
Magnus stinger is very sharp out of the package. They offer resharpening as well. I use strictly a diamond stone myself. Nothing fancy. One key imo is a strop after to remove any burrs. A boot, piece of wood, anything handy works
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 05:02:43 PM »
 A Magnus Stinger comes razorsharp right out of the package. An investment in the roller KME (broadhead sharpener) will bring it back to an edge that Gillette can't rival. It's the most fool proof system I know for two blade Stingers. It's so simple a caveman could do it.....
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 05:24:58 PM »
Team
What broadheads come sharpened that don't need to sharpened before taking to the field. I will admit I have tried everything from files, to sandpaper to jigs and I'm never getting a broadhead "scary" sharp.
I primarily hunt whitetails and black bears so I don't need a magnum sized broadhead but I want to get the sharpest one I can get out of the box.

Thank you
The sharpest heads out of the box I've ever shot were Grizzlystik heads.  Every other head I've shot ive felt the need to retouch before hunting with. 
There are some heads that come dull as a butter knife I wouldn't ever buy again.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »
Ok before this gets out of hand here and I can taste the vinegar in some of the responses, what I was looking for is for suggestions regarding broadheads that come pre-sharpened, that's all. I would prefer helpful responses and not judgement based responses. Many of you may be pros, but for some of us we are still learning.

Offline Kokopelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 06:52:40 PM »
Pete;
Greetings and Salutations from S.E. Arizona.
For what it's worth; Long long ago in a land far away (Southern Calif.) Dick Garver Sr. taught me to sharpen broadheads the way Howard Hill taught him. Basically it's filing the edge 'sharp enough' and then dragging the edge of the file across the edge of the broadhead, rear to front raising a hellish burr.
I know that the 'scary sharp' mode is currently in favor over the 'burr sharp' method but it worked for Mister Hill, it works for me and it might work for you. 

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »
As stringwacker said--- stingers are pretty sharp out of package.  The kme is a great sharpener and Ron at kme will literally stay on the phone with you until you have the hair popping off your arm.  I find it very easy to use on all two blade heads ( except concave).  I think you'll find it a good investment.  The key to sharpening is to do most of your work on a coarse stone until you raise a burr along the entire length of the edge.  Best of luck.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 04:55:12 AM »
Ok before this gets out of hand here and I can taste the vinegar in some of the responses, what I was looking for is for suggestions regarding broadheads that come pre-sharpened, that's all. I would prefer helpful responses and not judgement based responses. Many of you may be pros, but for some of us we are still learning.

Brother I can’t see anyone being negative towards you. Everyone is giving advice on broadheads. You say you’re learning. You’re getting ideas about that too. Don’t be offended. Don’t give up
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 09:44:07 AM »
I have found Silver Flame heads to be extremely sharp out of the package.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »
Eclipse Werewolfs....great customer service also!

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 11:54:17 AM »
Well Pete getting them sharp right out of the package is great but you'll have to practice with them and then they will be dull and need sharpening, then what. If there not to dull and depending on the head a Rada wheel might help getting them sharp again simple and easy it's what I do but often it takes a little more than that. Good luck and I hope you find a solution that works for you, the secret is to get them really sharp and it's not hard just takes a little work.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
Like the Man said - not looking for sharpening advice just some suggestions on heads ready to hunting when they arrive.
Two options:
1. Magnus Stingers - More budget friendly
2. Abowyer - They advertise as "hunt ready" out of the package and they are.  More expensive though.

Good Luck!
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 12:09:54 PM »
Actually, the two you are going to primarily hunt, deer and black bears, are two species you can hunt with a magnum sized head. Both are like shooting a grocery bag full of shaving cream, with a few tinker toys inside, and one ball joint.... just stay away from the ball joint, like any other big game animal you hunt.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 12:27:27 PM »
Hey meat how do you really know there ready to hunt unless you practice with them, especially if you never shot them before, just sayin.

Offline sqrlgtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 12:50:48 PM »
PP,You might want to try a replaceable blade broadhead if you dont want to shrapen them.The slick Trick viper's come sharp and they are a cut on contact and the magnus come sharp also.I find keeping the broadheads sharp and ready part of the experience and rewarding.Just my .02 worth.good luck...
When the buffalo are gone,we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and want our freedom.(Chief Sitting Bull)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 12:50:57 PM »
I have never pre shot every head that I've hunted with.  Hardly ever.  I know they work because I have shot them previously-previously at bales for flight.... so no reason to shoot every singe head I buy from then on.  Been mostly shooting Zwickeys since the 80s.  I just sharpen them, mount em, and hunt. Same with WWs, VPAs, Ace, Silver flames, Abowyers and any other head I've killed animals with.

Once they have been determined to fly.... the rest just hunt from then on.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©