3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver pattern  (Read 3932 times)

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver pattern
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
Anyone have a good pattern for a back quiver? Building a quiver for two of my kids, one is 22 years old and 4'11", the other is 11 and 5'4". These are specifically for Denton Hill shooting, not hunting, so "elvin", medieval style quivers are more desirable than a Hill quiver! The goal is to hold a few arrows and not clear off a vendor's table while turning around in the tents. Thanks!
Joe

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »
I'd be happy to send you the pattern for this quiver.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 05:50:53 PM »
 :dunno:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 06:01:35 PM »
I was thinkin' the same thing Pat.   
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 11:04:40 AM »
Sorry for the delay! That's a nice quiver, and thanks for the offer. The leather I have is 7-9 oz, so I'm not sure that style will work. Yours looks more like a Hill style, softer and meant to flex. Should of specified I have veg tanned tooling leather!

Joe

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 11:17:41 AM »
7 to 9oz is a bit heavy for a quiver. 4 to 6oz would be more inline.
 I googled "elvin quiver" last night. It looks like it would be an easy style to copy. Build one first with heavy paper or poster board to make a pattern.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 03:15:12 PM »
Medium softness is the way to go. You don't want a scuba tank on your back.

Very simple to make your own pattern from paper. My rover pattern is made from sheeting steel with all the holes drilled. Kind of hard to fold up and pop in the mail.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 07:34:14 PM »
I was wondering if the 7-9 oz would be too heavy.  Haven't cut yet, so should be able to return.  Any thoughts on lacing vs stitching? I've made bottles, shooting pouches, and fire buckets, so I'm familiar with stitching. Any advantage to lacing a quiver, other than it's faster?
Joe

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 07:57:28 PM »
Ive made some veg tan quivers and done lacing on all but one.  I make them all with longevity of use and ease of repair in mind, so lacing meets that in that it is generally stronger than thread, and replacing it just requires the user to buy at least just leather shoe laces and no special tools or equipment.

Elven quiver: Id say make a tube with the seam towards the users back to hide it, then print out a pattern for the fancy scroll patterns and trace it onto some other leather. I guess stitching and maybe smaller lacing would looker better for such a quiver.

Be sure to share pictures of whatever you end up making!
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:13:14 PM »
X2 RJ

Leather shoe laces.  1 pr rawhide shoelaces will  do 2 quivers easily.   A small  set of leather hole punches is faster for the holes. The hand squeze belt hole tool is a waste of time on heavier leather.   Wet the leather first. That makes punching holes and the fold overs easier. 6-7 oz works.  These are Hill style which are bigger than what you're looking to make.  As suggested above, make a poster board mock up with holes marked.    I didn't use a pattern so it's not that hard.

Deno
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:44:33 AM by Deno »
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 10:42:30 PM »
 UrsusNil,  I've always hand stitched, saddle stitching for max strength. I have done lacing and there's nothing wrong with it but prefer hand stitching.
 For hand stitching with a saddle stitch you'll need something to punch the stitching holes. I use a stitching chisel made with 3, 4 or 8 points for punching the stitching holes and a mallet to hit the chisel. I use the end grain of a red oak stump as my work surface when punching the holes to protect the chisel points. The saddle stitch uses 2 needles, one on each end of the thread. Push a needle through the hole and center the thread then push one needle through the 2nd hole from one direction, the other needle from the opposite direction and pull tight and so on down the stitch line. If one thread ever breaks the second thread holds it together. I use waxed dacron thread or waxed linen thread along with harness needles(blunt point). A few back stitches at the end of the stitch line will lock it in place. Tandy's has supplies or a local saddle shop or probably where you ordered your leather.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 08:48:27 AM »
Have ya checked our "How To - Resources" board?  :)

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=108863.msg2039436#msg2039436
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »
I'll always have a back quiver, it just sez "trad bowhunting" but at least for me there are better options for an off-bow quiver and that's a stalker quiver, which is a combination back and side quiver.

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 09:49:10 AM »
Thanks for the tips! Rob, some really nice quivers there! I'm making them for my kids, neither of them hunts (yet!). I currently use a GFA quiver, don't like bow quivers. Had it for years, but would be nice to have something I made. Will be revisiting the ideas here when I do my quiver.

For the kids (a petite 22 year old and a very tall 11 year old) I found a pattern that fits what I'm looking for. I purchased it, so can't share it here, but here's the link.

https://www.theleatherpatternstore.com/product/weaver-style-archery-quiver-leathercraft-pattern

Interesting construction, the strap is woven through the body of the quiver and that's what holds it together. We will see how that goes, easy enough to add stitches if it doesn't feel secure enough. I have some gold buckskin for the trim, will dye and decorate the cuff around the opening. Hope to give you pictures soon!
Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©