3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mobile hunters  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Mobile hunters
« on: March 17, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
Morning all.

I bought a new stand and sticks at the Iowa Deer Classic earlier this month and have been playing around some.

I picked up the Lone Wolf Custom Gear .5 public land stand, along with 3 of their double steps.

Got the steps stealth stripped, and a few pieces on the stand as well. Going to test it out over the next few days, and practice shooting from a tree stand while I'm at it.

I have to say, while I haven't hung it yet, I couldn't be more excited to try. It is insanely light with the backpack and waist belt straps they sell.

I am not going to fall into the same old trap of hunting the same stands over and over again on grandpa's property. I've got a few public land spots scoped out, plan on hitting those hard in the next few weeks looking for bedding areas and sheds as well as access points. I'll bring my stand along with and set it up a few times to help work out any kinks.

If you are on the fence, I can't say enough about the stand and steps as far as how light they are and how well they stack together.

Dang excited to be more mobile and effective this year!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline DNewer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mobile hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 11:42:57 PM »
I went semi mobile this past season on my little lease and it was awesome. I use the lone wolf stand and sticks but I was able to put myself into position on deer that have adjusted to my fixed stands. I have been scouting some public land this spring while hog hunting and plan on using this same set up next season out there.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 11:11:24 AM »
Im very mobile in my approach.  I use a lone wolf assault climber.  Its amazing how jus a 30 yard adjustment in where i hunt changes my perspective and dynamics of the hunt.  I am usually able to refine placement by observing to get those 10-15 yd shots i like.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 07:47:10 AM »
For me mobility is the key. I have my loc-on stands but rely more on my Summit climbers to get me in position. I have been looking for the Lone Wolf system but they seem scarce here recently.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Joedirt199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
Jumped into the saddle craze last year when I decided to hunt public land for the first time. With 3 long helium hawk sticks and backpack, it wasn't the easiest to get around. Have picked up a one stick with a platform and plan to rappel down. Had a bunch of ropes and climbing work while going through the academy so it doesn't scare me. Should be pretty light and make room for extra clothes in the pack. I hate being cold.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 12:56:49 AM »
I’m wanting to get a saddle set up, but truth be told, they’re too rich for my blood. Easiest way to be mobile for me is a ghillie suit & a stool, and my canoe. Definitely the canoe!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Joedirt199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 07:41:38 AM »
Good thing is the used market is full of people who barely tried saddle hunting and sell complete sets, basically new, for cheap. Then there is the $25 tree sling that people convert over to a saddle by adding some straps and a bridge, then use in conjunction with a rock climbing harness for extra safety.

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »
Windwalker treestand/ backpack and ghillie suit and go to go especially on those scout/hunt areas.

Offline sqrlgtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 03:54:06 AM »
I use the same set up as the rifleman, a Lone Wolf Assault climber.
When the buffalo are gone,we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and want our freedom.(Chief Sitting Bull)

Offline Joedirt199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 08:31:08 AM »
I meant to say "sit drag," instead of tree sling, is a cheap option for a DIY saddle. Lots of conversion ideas online.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 10:03:31 PM »
Dirty Joe Dirt, the sit drag option isn't bad at all and I actually hunted out of one all last season and loved it. Decided to upgrade to a CRUZR saddle for this fall and it is 10x better than the sit drag. Love it so far

Offline soaring eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »
I started being very mobile with a sit drag and rock climbing harness. I liked it so much I now have a H2 and a Trophyline. For me 1 sticking is the way to go. It’s about 12 lbs for the entire package and easy to pack around. There are very few trees I can’t climb.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
I lost about 30lbs last year before hunting season and I couldn't get comfortable at all in my Saddle. I stuck to my wedgelock stand and some stands already in place. I'm going to start practicing again with the saddle this weekend to make sure I find my sweet spot before hunting season.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©