3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: share your nocturnal bow setup  (Read 1543 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
share your nocturnal bow setup
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:29:03 AM »
I'd like to see your setups for shooting at night. There's a chance the pigs on the little property I hunt on might be a nocturnal job.
I remember Jerry Russell's 'The story of Kong' where he targeted a nocturnal boar. sounds like he had a neat system. He said he was going to share the details about it but I never saw it.

School me on night hunting setups. :archer2:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: share your nocturnal bow setup
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 06:59:51 AM »
with the little bit of internet browsing i've done the wicked lights A51iC 3-in-1 with rheostat looks like an ideal setup. be something you could get scope ring mounts for to mount on a rifle too.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline DNewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:16:47 AM »
I’ve never really hunted with a bow mounted light although I have one and an adapter I got from KC at traditions leather craft. However I do paint my arrows and Broadheads white and that made a huge difference. Last pig I killed at night I used the glow in the dark paint over the white and charged it in the sun all day. Curtis Keller is who told me about painting the Broadheads white years ago.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 09:51:39 AM »
If you have a stabilizer hole/insert in your riser many companies, like Mini-sniper, make lights that will screw into it. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:21:36 PM by GCook »
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 01:31:21 PM »
I never had any luck with the bow mounted lights I hang lights like the kill light or I have used walmart drive way lights over corn . Maybe you aren't into baiting hogs like we have to where we hunt in Texas, the brush is so thick everywheres you can hardly push your way through so no spot and stalk . I have tried the bow mounted lights but about 80% of the time they run way even if you just put them in the halo. Try Illusive Wild Life Technology. All Predator Calls has lots of lights. Maybe its time to invent a thermal imaging device for bows ..Ha.

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:24:56 PM »
When I used to do a lot of night pig hunting, I had a string tracker and a light mounted on my bow. The light mounted on the bow worked great, but I never turned the light on with it facing directly at them. I would point the light up in the air, and then come down slowly on them as I drew back. It worked really well when there was a bit of moonlight. Not as well with no moon. That was ok though, as most of our hunting was with a full moon.

Bisch

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 08:58:17 PM »
my bow has a stabiliser insert so it makes it easy to mount.

the ambient light around full moon would best.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 09:21:48 PM »
Here is one of night time hog bows. I mount a bushing on the side of the riser as I don't like the light hanging out front. Then I make a leather strap to hold my Fenix PD35 light with a green filter. The Fenix light has 5 brightness setting and I start with the lowest brightness setting as a hog approaches corn. Once they start to eat, I can conveniently increase the brightness by a button on the Fenix. This is very easy to reach with my index finger on the hand holding the bow. The light is stable, moveable, and very quiet. I don't seem to spook any hogs and I can usually shoot on the 3rd brightness setting. I've bright lights mounted to a feeder but I find them too bright and spooky. Also I prefer to trickle corn away from the feeder and put a little pile about 15 yards in front of my stand. I'll spot & stalk hogs during the day but prefer to hunt over corn at night sometimes as late as midnight not a problem in Georgia...tippit

One of my night time hog bows...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 09:29:09 PM by tippit »
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 09:54:05 PM »
nice simple setup.  :thumbsup:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 10:12:33 PM »
The property I'm hunting is close to home so I can spend time there without committing a whole weekend. I only do morning or afternoon hunts there. It used to be stone fruit orchard and vineyard but they have all been cleared now. It's a triangular block and is bounded on two sides by creeks which join each other to form a corner of the property. It's not real big and the animals don't live on the place but rather move in at dusk to feed at night and leave in the morning. being mostly open means that hunting it is limited to ambush points where they move. All the shots at game on this place have been within 40 yards of the property boundary.

I've been getting both pigs and fallow deer on cameras but at rather random times. Been using a tree saddle at ambush sites but crossing paths with them is a lottery of being in the right place at the right time.

I'm going to try some soured corn for the pigs and see if I get them coming in with any sort of regularity, which leads me to the topic of this thread.
If they end up being mostly night feeders I need a contingency plan. Full moon night sits with a bow light and lighted nocks could be a productive method and certainly something new to me.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 10:31:56 PM »
I do use lighted nocks and I spray paint my arrow shafts white. They really show up with even with the dimmest setting on my light.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 11:24:11 PM »
Nice, simple solution Tippit.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 01:24:56 AM »
If it s legal there get you a bow flashlight stab with remote switch stuck in the front of the bow riser with Velcro. I found the NAP apache predator being really effective in green or white light. You draw on game and when hitting anchor switch on the light to adjust the shot and release. It takes little practice to get daylight accuracy but then hunting by night is much easier. Of course light nocks on the arrows.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 05:54:45 AM »
The wicked A67iC with a QD mount and picatinny rail for the gun might be an even better option. If I bought a stabiliser insert mounted picatinny rail for the bow it could easily be swapped between rifle and bow.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 08:07:41 PM »
I use a strap on attatchment from Eagles Flight.  I even have an extra for anyone else with me.... green lens light and get away with murder... stalking or setting up on the ground.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 08:55:41 AM »
I taped mine to my quiver I then had a wire with a switch on the end that velcroed on to my bow I just pushed it with my little finger then I would slowly lower the light onto the hogs and there they were ...gone, almost every time. . A kill light that they get used to works much better Ive shot alot of them under the green light .

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
Tim.... its the shadows moving on the ground the get them if you are hunting from above from a stand, ESPECIALLY with a white light.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 04:49:34 PM »
Looks like I can't get a wicked light shipped outside of the USA. Both stockists I've found won't do it.  :banghead:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »
I use, and recommend, the Eagles Flight Archery light holder that Terry Green mentioned. The light that I use in it is a Ulako zoomable green LED flashlight. That flashlight is about $10 or $12 US dollars on the big auction site. That set up takes care of my bow light needs.

I also use, and recommend, a feeder light. I can attach it to a feeder or tie it in a tree or to a post to light the general area after dark with green light. Some of these lights turn on using a movement sensor, and some use a light sensing photo cell. I prefer the photo cell type.

I also use lighted nocks. After a lot of testing I have settled on Glory Nocks as the best.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 10:37:24 PM »
I use a headlamp with green lens.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me