3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote Hunting  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Lstok88

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote Hunting
« on: May 13, 2021, 02:44:06 PM »
What are some of the techniques used to hunt coyotes with a traditional bow? I assume you have good camo, call, and sent control. What's the best way to get close and not get busted?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote Hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 05:07:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I have had no real degree of success specifically hunting them. It seems I have more response from foxes. However, if a chance shot comes long, I let fly.
Sam

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:04:57 PM »
you need something moving to draw their attention,  I had one of those battery powered wiggly tail things ha ha I don't know what their called but I pull the little squeaker out of small dog toys and hold that in my lips like a  mouth call and it worked twice so far,,,, I put the wiggly thing at the best shot angle where I'm shooting through a lane or between trees  set it inside the brush so they can't really see it that good which brings em in closer but it really draws their attention especially if its brushing against a leaf  when it spins and seems to work the best,,,,, I'm hunting urban coyote and coyote calls did nothing but they love that little ball squeaker it sounds like a mouse caught by something.

for camo I wear a ghilly suit but had a leafy suit when I shot the first one......  shot two from a stand and one from the ground,,,,,,, one coyote did come in on a fawn bleat I was actually hunting deer that day it was a primos fawn bleat. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:14:48 PM by Tajue17 »
"Us vs Them"

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 09:05:54 PM »
I have shot two with a compound.  Had one at 10 yards after dark but he was in and out of range before I could get my Mamba drawn.
I really like killing coyotes.  Our deer herd really likes me killing coyotes.   
But I kill a lot of them with rifles and shotguns.  They are tough enough with those weapons.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 09:41:31 PM »
I've killed 3 over the years, but that was while deer hunting.

IMHO, the only good yote, is a dead yote.... We run them with hounds, and shoot them with rifles.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 01:46:25 AM »
There are some good DVDs on predator hunting. A wounded rabbit, bird or other small animal can work.  The coyote can spot movement easily, and will probably come in from down wind.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
There was a guy on here that used to really stack them up!! Thump r dunker or something close was his handle. Maybe look him up.

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 08:52:05 PM »
There was a guy on here that used to really stack them up!! Thump r dunker or something close was his handle. Maybe look him up.

your right , i remember . he was a yote killing machine. used a brightly decorated selfbow and a bunch of feathers on a stick to get them in close. he hunted an orange orchard or something like that, miss his posts.
original register date- jan. 2010

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 06:14:00 AM »
He hunted almond groves in California and yes indeed he killed piles of song dogs.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
I have killed 4-5 over the decades and missed a few. All were animals that I saw from a treestand while deer hunting and “squeaked in” by sucking on the side of my finger.  Virtually every yote  I have seen within 100 yds came in to the squeak.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »
Yup kissing the hand I forgot about that one it's actually what made me try the toy squeaker
"Us vs Them"

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 05:59:35 PM »
Thumper Dunker was a coyote's worst nightmare...stalked most of them in that orchard, no less.  Why can't a get any hits on a search of his handle?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 02:54:59 AM »
The advice about the movement is something I agree with.  Showing my age, I remember the Burnham brothers used a mounted rabbit with some success.  When they hung a white feather on a piece of string off the ear, business rally picked up.  They were convinced the movement of that feather blowing around was the big difference.  They were deadly on coyotes, bobcats, and foxes.
I was about to post this, when I realized a lot of you don't know who the Burnham brothers were.  They were some of the early game call manufacturers who devoted a lot of attention to varmint hunting.  They had a shop in Marble Falls Texas.  I think it is still there, but run by somebody else.  I visited there once in 1974, and it was a Mecca for hunters.  They were also some of the early proponents of antler rattling for whitetails.
Murray Seratt

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 08:23:56 AM »
Wow MJ that takes me back. I am from Wisconsin but drove to Texas in 1972 with my parents. I was 14 and wanted to go with the Burnham's javalina hunting with my new Howatt Hi-speed. I think it was $50 for a hunt back then. My parents thought otherwise. But at least they took me to the store. Wish I still had the book The critters come when called by Tinsley I bought there but lost it in the shuffle. I probably have 25 calls that I have collected over the years but the lip squeak is always with you and works great.

Offline Patknight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »
Im about to move my cabin building skills west, wyoming., im gonna try some techniques mentioned,,,thx

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 07:08:57 AM »
Search members Thumper Dunker then ‘show posts’
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©