3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who on here would not video their own hunt?  (Read 870 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Who on here would not video their own hunt?
« on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Just checking to see if I'm the only one who thinks my hunt is very personal and would not even think about putting it on video for everyone to see. No....not for money or goods either!

My hunting is a very personal event, shared only with those very close to me. To me it is something to be held in reverence, especially the taking of an animal; and for me, that means no play by play, other than at the campfire or when I tell my wife when I get home. It's not that I don't have an ego, my big mouth can disprove that in a hurry; perhaps it was my exposure to the sport many years ago and the guys who were my mentors. I just know it's supremely personal to me and I'm not up to sharing it on the tele 8^).

Now I have heard lots of stories from the video folks, so don't think I'm a hunting video hater. If that's what makes you happy...so be it. I'm just wondering if there are any more of me out there, or if I'll take it to the grave by myself 8^).

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who on here would not video their own hunt?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm with ya. I just find em "cheesy" for lack of a better word. Just give me pics to help keep the memories fresh

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
but I do enjoy watching others'  :D

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Speaking solely for myself, never have and never will video tape a hunt.  I don't consider hunting to be a spectator sport and I want memories of the hunt, not a record to review...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
I don't know.There have been times that the hunt was so unique and special that words couldnt do it justice.I also would like My little Girl to have access to those special moments after I'm dead and gone.I think it's somthing that should certainly be treated with respect.But to say there is somthing moraly wrong or injustice to it I would disagree.It's like most things It's a very personal option and I would certainly respect both opinions.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
I started taking the video camera along as a means of enterainment and remembering hunts for myself.  I also share with my family though they don't have much interest.  After a few years of waiting for bigger bucks it was a way to "catch and release" my game.  I try to set it up for use on the shot but when the big guy I decide I want is NOT in the right area for the camera, the camera is low priority!.  I have shots on audio while the camera points at the ground with no deer in the picture!  

Like anything else it can be done good or bad.  I hate the shows where everyone is jumping around all pumped up for the camera.  Reminds me of the fishing shows.. its a horse!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
hill boy, "But to say there is somthing moraly wrong or injustice to it I would disagree."  

I would agree with that also, but no one here said that 8^).

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Well I enjoyed Danny Gabbard's Kansas turkey hunt he posted here.  It was, in my opinion, tasteful and he obviously has an ability to be on-air and not be a bafoon.  I think he shot a good video, especially being alone and showed respect to his audience and the quarry.  Just an example and there are probably others too.  

I, on the other hand, would not make for a very engaging host.  Recognizing this fact and that no one wants to see footage of me sleeping and scratching is one of my strong points.  Don't be expecting reel to reel highlights from me any time soon.  I guess I'm a hypocrit.  It's good for them but not for me.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
George, I guess I felt that you were implying that.I'm sorry! I am certainly not trying to put words in anyone's mouth.To hold somthing (in reverance) I guess misunderstood.Sorry!
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
I have no problem with someone doing their own hunts to have a lasting memory for themselves and friends/family. Truth is memories fade. Heck, I can't remember what I had for breakfast half the time. Where I have a problem with videoed hunts is when they are done in poor taste or are obviously heavily edited to try and put a good face on a bad situation/decision. My other turn off is when the hunt is obviously being used as a marketing tool. I have people trying to sell me stuff all day. I don't need it in my recreation time.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Steven Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
George,

I have to agree with you.  I would not be interested in videoing one of my hunts and definitely would not throw it out for public consumption. But then, that's just me.

cheers,

Steve

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I intend to start videoing my hunts, but I have no urge to post or play them for others.

They are just another way for me to relive time in the woods when I am stuck at the house.

Heck, it ain't nothing but a moving photograph.  It's the use you put it to that determines good or bad.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
I have video taped my own hunts, and my wife has enjoyed the area that I've gone to, and she was allowed to see where she probably would not go.  Deep into the swamp, 4 mi. into a hunting area that other people won't go, it allows them to see where I have been.

As for posting them on here, it would only be a bragging flag for some.  But I can see the difference, when it comes to dangerous wild game.  Not many people are able to do that in comparison to those that do.

But I don't see anything personal about it, well, so personal that you can share with others of your family.  A big part of your personalities like hunting, you stick a lot of time into your hunts, and that's a part of you, I can understand sharing it with family,

But a lot of the so-called " true chase " are exactly not that !  I've seen too many dubbed up videos of so-called actual hunts.

It's funny how sometimes we will split hairs, and then, not remember why it was so important.

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
what happens in the woods should stay in the woods.

Offline Mulybux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
We (my family & I) have videoed a few times, but share them just with the family. And we don't do "play by play", just note where we are and who is along for the day.

You're right, it is a personal thing and not something I'd probably share with the world. It is, however, a lasting memory and as Hill Boy said, it is something for my children to watch long after I'm gone, hopefully with an appreciation for the animal and all things natural!
Hunt with your children, not for them.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I have brought a video camera along on all of my solo hunts. The extra effort was well worth it to me to be able to share my experiences with friends and family for years to come.

On the other hand, someone could say, “Yes it was worth it to you because you took some of your footage and made a movie that you sold.”  They would be correct, but in response I could offer the following testimony that I just received today.

“Mike, thank you for making "Primal Dreams".  I watched your dvd this weekend with my wife L.... Your dvd is great. My 2 sons were busy running in and out, but they would stop each time through the living room and ask, "what's that?" or "wow" or "who is that guy?" or "Dad, where is that location?" I ended up watching it a second time. Mike, as you know you did a great job. I was carrying around a small picture of my brother and I from 1970, we were holding up our 1st rabbit. I was 10 and he was older. He is holding the rabbit and I am holding the one bb gun. I remember my mom cooking it for us. After I watched your dvd I went to Walgreens and had a 8 X10 made up and framed of our first rabbit picture. It's hanging by the fishing pictures of my sons and my wife with their fish. Thanks for bringing this beauty to us and helping us think of our memories of the outdoors. We bought a big camera 25 years ago with a zoom lens. The pictures have been scanned into the our computer. The pheasants in the snow storm, the lighthouses, the fishing pictures and the thousand other pictures and memories flooded back by watching your neat dvd.  A thousand pictures of climbing the rocks at Baraboo, Wisconsin and pictures of our many campsites along with a long walks and rides on our bikes have been scanned in. Once again I thank you. My thoughts are positive and I can't wait to get out and enjoy the outdoors. After watching your dvd I also sanded down a great walking stick. I hope this" thank you" is appropriate.

Thank you
Rich P…..”

So, I definitely do see both sides of it and respect others opinions. Videos can be used in a positive way and inspire other to do great things.
Mike

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
I never have thought of hunting as a sport,its more of a scared act (to me). I agree if someone wants to video there hunt thats fine. If it weren't for marketing the T.V. shows and most videos would not be out there.
I have my own video that plays in my mind, there are very few I do not remember as if it where yesterday even my first deer so many years ago.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Primal Dreams compared to the average hunting video, is like comparing the Encyclopedia Brittanica to a comic book Mike 8^).  I consider that video as one to be shown in schools....not for the entertainment of fools.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
I take my video camera here & there to film my hunts.... I wouldn't mind to have others seeing it. I guess it comes down to how You want to remember any hunt....

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
George, is the act of videoing a hunt and sharing that video what turns you off or is it that you associate videos with commercial versions that you find distasteful and that association turns you off?  I think videos can be used in any number of positive ways: a tool to review how well hit the animal really was, an educational tool, a memory keepsake, a poetic/artistic expression.  It can be negative as well, it all depends on what you intend to do with it and how skilled you are in doing that.  I have videoed hunts with my friends and I enjoy watching them every now and then.  I don't think I have the skills necessary to convey what I want with the camera, my efforts are pure home movie quality but I've seen some nice jobs done on here.  I don't see anything more wrong with sharing them than I would a home video of my family traveling, if I thought anyone would be interested.  Personally, from a solo hunting perspective I feel it's too much trouble to try to set up and run by myself but there's times I would have loved to have video to see what I did wrong or see "the one that got away."

On another note, I would feel that your poems you post are of a much more personal nature than a video, but you enjoy posting those don't you?  Maybe you're letting the negative actions of others dictate what you allow yourself to enjoy?  Just a thought.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©