3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who on here would not video their own hunt?  (Read 869 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who on here would not video their own hunt?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
just because you video it - does that mean its going to be shown to a wide audience?  Never thought of it that way.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Personally, I love watching good hunting videos. They give me an opportunity to visually experience a hunt I otherwise may never have a chance to see. I'll likely never head afield for muskox, sheep, large bears or buffalo. But with a good DVD, I can at least get a taste of the action. For me, watching a good video is just like reading a good book or magazine article.

That being said, I've never taped any of my hunts. Heck, I don't even own a video camera. But I really wish I could pop in a DVD and watch some footage of the moose I shot in 2006. Watching that bull come in to the call, rocking his rack, grunting and walking stiff-legged, was one of the most memorable things I've ever experienced as a bowhunter. It would be nice to see it again with my eyes instead of just my mind.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
I would in a heart beat.  My wife and I videoed our first hunt last week.  I got her on camera shooting a turkey opening day, then she got me wiffing with my widow.  It was a blast.  It probably won't make it to the outdoor channel, but our kids sure enjoyed it.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
Still shots and memories are enough for me. I take it too personal on my own hunts. But I have nothing against those that do video if thats what they enjoy.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I do take a video camera with me on most hunts, It tells the story much better than I can.I also believe hunting is a very personal thing,and not a sport more spiritual than that.I do have deer and other critters mounted, but they are not trophies they are reminders ment to honor the animal and the experience much the way my video camera does.The hunt and emotions of it are hard to explain, but when I wath one of my home videos with a friend or nonhunter I believe it is easier to show these folks the respect for the animal and outdoors we love so much.This turkey season has been dedicated to filming a 70 year old friend of mine turkey hunting with his bow it will help preserve our friendship and memories long after we are both gone.I do however see how easily a video can be missused to produce something false and disrespectful to our way of life,but a bow can also be missused to  damage our way of life. It is our responsability to see that neither happens.
Bill

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Never have but plan on it. In fact, I just bought one of those tiny video cameras that records to a SD flash card. That is one small/light camera that won't get in the way. I also have some higher end HD cameras but I have always considered them too big/bulky to be hauling around the woods. The boys are a bit too young to hunt (can't sit still for anything) but are excited about getting closer to hunting age. This would be a cool way to share my time in the field with them and also keep a personal record of my time in the field. I'm more concerned about masking the additional movement it's going to require to video while on stand. My recording's would be private and only shared with family or close friends who share the same interests that I do.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I always try to capture my hunts on tape. It is my opinion all us old guys have a responsibility to encourage young people to take up bowhunting. I became active in the State bowhunting Org and host Kids shoots almost anywhere they will have me. I have a good job so I'm not out to make any money. pretty much every time I post a new video out on the web sites I get a couple of e-mails like this one.

Watching you shoot the widow has given me the inspiration to hunt traditional. Terry Thornton here in the Jackson Ms. area owns copperhead bows and builds some incredible longbows and recurves and he is now building mine. After watching your videos I began shooting a borrowed recurve and I have fallen in love with it. I almost gave up a couple of times, but after watching you shoot from the seated position, I decided to try it. That was the key that put the bow in the correct position for me. After 4 months of struggle and one moment of it all coming together, I can now shoot well enough that I feel I can hunt and not just wound animals. I will be hunting traditional next deer season and I am excited. Last year was my first season to bow hunt and it was incredible. I was introduced to archery for the first time at the end of 2006-2007 season. I attached the pictures of my first archery harvest and it was also the first buck I have ever taken with any weapon. I also harvested 3 does as well. I will now go after them with the stick and string. The buck was 231 pounds and scored over 130. Thank you again for posting your videos, and I will send you pictures of my recurve when it is finished.

Letters like that tell me, you never know who you can influence. Whether it is a gun hunter that has always thought, "Bowhunters only wound game" or a young guy thinking about giving bow hunting a try. While I most certainly under stand you pursuit of privacy, there is a benefit to the crude videos some of us post here and on other sites.

Just my opinion
Buff

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
George, I wasn't making any accussations about youre motives.  I was just plain curious if the reason you disliked the idea of filming a hunt was because of all the negative examples out there.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Talondale....No problem.  Things like that are hard to explain and lose a lot in the translation.  It's more about the kill side of it than the hunt....but they do go together and I feel it's too personal to me to have that for others to audience.   I don't care if others do it....I did say that.  I am indeed soured by the incessant high-fiving, and repeated arrow strikes that seem to be popular to the masses nowadays.  Kinda' makes me feel sick inside.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Well...here's a kill I did make today:

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
  I am indeed soured by the incessant high-fiving, and repeated arrow strikes that seem to be popular to the masses nowadays.  Kinda' makes me feel sick inside.
Me too George. It may be an age thing. Seems like the older folks I've seen on hunting videos act differently after the kill than the younger generation. I don't watch any of the TV hunting shows, and very, very few videos, so I'm not a good reference for what's all out there, but you can certainly see this comparing your favorite old Bear videos to the new stuff.

I also think these videos demonstrate the differences people have in their definition of hunting. The biggest selling videos usually have one thing in common...a large number of kill shots, complete with instant replays and slow mos. Just how does one get 27 "hunts" on a 80 minute video?
Tom Mussatto

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
:(
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
I feel better knowing that some of you guys have the same mind I do on this.  I never have enjoyed commercial hunting videos/ shows.  I deplore slow-mo kill shots.  Yes, they make me sick too.  Physically my stomach knots up.  I've said this in some company and been laughed at.  I love to hunt and everything about the hunt appeals to me, but the taking of game should be somewhat sacred.  Not treated with callous indifference.  I also deplore what commmercialization is doing to many of our hunting opportunities and our children.  

I do enjoy some personal videos here if they are tasteful and don't do all the swaggering hype.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
I do both I never did much of video or pictures but I always seem to end up with a story most dont believe (like the lion thread from this morning lol) so I started taking one or the other.  I'm starting to video some hunts to add a little more work to it thats about all.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Well...here's a kill I did make today:

Shot them all low, right at the base. Even mounted your heads horizontally to snip the stem. Sir, I am impressed!   ;)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
have no desire to film a hunt, my time in the woods is for me and I think filming it or having someonelse do it would really detract from the reason I am out there....
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©