3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ALONE  (Read 14651 times)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ALONE
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2021, 01:18:47 PM »
I was going through all his Alone videos on his you tube channel,because I don't have all that much for channels on the t.v. While I was doing that I ran across this video he made,and just had to put it on here. I think it's one of the coolest things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEt1m6yEK74&list=RDCMUC-eicAkiRdGLguiS1dS_N9Q&index=4

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2021, 01:22:05 PM »
It looks like if you click on watch on you tube the video does play.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »
Now thats cool , congratulations to both the young man  and dad for getting him out there

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2021, 04:15:42 PM »
My family and I watch no "TV", just DVD's and old programs that we can get ahold of.  But I heard about "Alone" on YouTube, and we started watching it together... for one reason:  Clay Hayes is a traditional bowhunter, as well as an outdoorsman, and we want to see how he uses his bow and skills to face the challenges of his situation. 

We want him to win, because he's "our guy" as a trad bowhunter. 

Go, Clay. 
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2021, 08:10:28 AM »
I am pretty impressed with the shelters so far.  I would've definitely spent time chinking the spaces with moss and mud, then continually build a berm with branches, leaves, and earth.  I think only Clay has done that so far.
 Laying large pieces of bark doesn't really close those gaps up.  With the chilling winds they are experiencing pre-winter, that would be a top priority to keep my shelter as draft free as possible.
They are all adaptive in their own ways and all have different strategies.  Pulling for Clay, but all seem to be well suited.  It is more a mental game than a physical one, as all have had previous experience and woodsmanship.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Long Barrel Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
Last weeks Alone ended with Clay at full draw on a deer...
Coyotes Shot No Waiting
Them Mountains For Animals And Savages
Bear Kodiak 59 Reissue #40
Black Widow PSR V #45
Black Widow PL V #50

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2021, 02:25:20 PM »
Since the season where the guy killed the moose and then ultimately won there has been a steady increase in the number of people choosing to take a bow.  I think that most of the contestants have a trad bow with them as one of their 10 items in season 8.  I haven't seen that many people besides Clay use theirs much yet.  I'm a little surprised that the History Channel lets contestants post comments on their own YouTube channels after each episode, but I am enjoying watching Clay break things down and give his thoughts.  I wonder if he has to clear the content before posting or if he is just following the rules of the nondisclosure agreement that I would guess he had to sign.

I think that the show is as real as it can be in the litigious confines of our current society.  It is the only show that I actually know when it is broadcast and make a point to watch regularly.  Having a member of the traditional archery community to root for is gravy. 

The Season 8 location seems like a tough place to make a sustained living off of the land especially following the game and fish restrictions imposed by the local ordinances.  I think that if Clay can get some deer on the ground and fight the loneliness factor he is a strong contender. 

My other pick is the guy that built the boat.  Fishing near shore seems to be a low odds proposition.  That boat could be a game changer. 
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Long Barrel Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »
The one chubby guy with the long hair might be looney enough to keep from being lonesome if he can find food. 
Coyotes Shot No Waiting
Black Widow PSR V #45
Black Widow PL V #50

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »
Gregg, I agree 100% and think the guy with the boat is a strong contender.
       Clays a good hunter and shot so hopefully he does get the buck he’s shooting at, that would be a game changer. I don’t understand why some of these contestants don’t hunt more, but spend a lot of time doing things that won’t feed or shelter them. Foods gonna get scarce as time progresses into winter. 
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2021, 08:24:26 AM »
I think the long hair chubby guys name is Riki?

He his looney to be sure!! LOL But if you look at a few things he did, I think he's gonna be around awhile....

He forged a  "Bear Shank" out of an old nail....  :readit:
AND, He swam across the bay in 50 degree water, :o to scout a better place to hunt & fish!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2021, 09:03:18 AM »
I think his name is Biko or something like that.  He has some real things going for him.  He has some skills.  He has more body mass to yield.  Most importantly, his family seems to be a strong motivational factor for him to stay rather than leave.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline Markp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2021, 02:03:35 PM »
       Clay actually thinks like a hunter, because he is one, meaning he is not just ambling about, but actually scouting the land. He backed out of the little deer yard, and went back the next day in with a purpose.

Most have a bow, but seem to have no plan to really use it, or maybe that is edited out. Dave in Mongolia hunted deer, over many days. He found trouble in Patagonia stringing the 60# bow once he got weak, but he did set up for boar. He had a plan. Britt, in Mongolia, shot but missed or wounded, as he was a novice bow hunter. At least he had his bow with him. One guy from Tenn, season 7, says he set up for bear, IIRC. Roland had the bow, and took the shot. Michelle Finn might have done better, had she taken the shot quickly on the grouse.

But on Vancouver Island, if I recall correctly, no one went away from shore to hunt the deer in the clear cuts. Puma were there, so deer would be, but no one set up blinds or ambush sites.

Local game regulations are subtracting from the options to survive, I agree. Hard place as a result, yet they still need to start on day 1 getting the calories, imho. Instead of going in on Day 1 and making noise cutting and sawing, maybe go in like a sniper (or hunter, lol), getting a temp. camp in some bear-deterring deadfall, and then really hunt what is there. Wait a few days before scaring away all the deer and grouse with the home building.

This show format penalizes the lean, more "cardio" people who otherwise would simply hike to a more productive area to gather, hunt. Seasonality of resources played an immense part of our ancestors. Clay is one of those cardio people, like Michelle, as are many others on this show. Clay scouts out the hunting zones, and seems much more focused on the food, like others with the fish and boat... If Biko starts killing, it is all over, however.

Stickmark's opinions

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2021, 08:49:08 PM »
Is it Thursday "night" yet .... I want to see somebody smoking a deer  :goldtooth:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2021, 11:02:16 PM »
Twenty-five days in and we're down to five contestants remaining.  Clay's chances are improving . . . deer heart for dinner and smoked venison for several days.  Hope the bears don't walk down-wind of his smokehouse. 
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Long Barrel Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
Now if he can just keep his emotions in check...  Starting to see a pattern seems likes once a contestant starts speaking about their loved ones they soon tap out.
Coyotes Shot No Waiting
Black Widow PSR V #45
Black Widow PL V #50

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »
Nice to see Clay be successful in this most recent episode.  Hopefully, he can stretch the rewards out and repeat his performance.  I heard Biko talk about his rules and how one of them was to always have his bow with him, but you don't see that in this episode.  I think that is an example of the editing choices made after the fact.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2021, 06:31:19 PM »
Nice taxidermy!
Looks better than some of the heads that I see hanging in bars.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »
Clay says he fished for hours many days without catching a single fish.  Wonder if he tried to dig some live bait from the forest or use a piece of venison as bait to up his chances.  He made a good decision to eat only a small ration of venison each day.  Still concerned that a bear will break into his smoke house and eat his venison stash. 
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »
I don't think they can use live bait in that lake.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »
I was certainly impressed with Clay's "Bear Alarm" around his smokehouse!!! :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©