3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ALONE  (Read 14655 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ALONE
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2021, 04:59:17 PM »
Thanks Sam and agreed.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2021, 05:02:08 PM »
These p****** contests accomplish nothing but ruin the thread for those who want to talk archery. And the offenders don't seem to care one bit--one-upmanship I think they call it.  Pretty rude.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 05:19:30 PM by David Mitchell »
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2021, 09:38:35 PM »
Idk? I still can't figure out why everyone tries to build a fishing pole :dunno:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2021, 10:22:18 PM »
Time to pull this thread, good topic gone bad .... Help we need a moderator I'm about to gag, or is that Smag  :goldtooth:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2021, 10:49:06 PM »
There was a time when tradgang was nothing but trad archery related and threads not focused on such would get pulled.
Lately I see threads about coffee, spices and TV shows.

:dunno:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »
I was disappointed when this thread spiraled out of control. I do believe the topic of Alone is relevant to TradGang in that Clay has oriented his life and his families life around traditional archery. He makes his living showing people how to make self bows, filming his hunts, how to videos that are all related to hunting, survival and traditional archery, making bows. He seams like a wonderful human being, father and husband. I appreciate how he has planned his life to be more about what he believes to be a great environment to raise his family. I had never watched one episode of Alone in the past but this season with Clay I will watch every single episode. I look forward each week to seeing what Clay has come up with and if he has been able to find some good hunting areas out away from his camp that will help him stay for the long haul and win. All I can say is....go Clay I am rooting for you!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2021, 10:28:43 AM »
I agree that this thread should be shut down.
Sam

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »
DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about the film industry, the making of Alone, or laws and regulations pertaining to filming and access to film locations.  I am just using a bit of critical thinking in my assessment of this thread.

Yes, we all know Alone is a reality show.  And it is likely that none of us know what ACTUALLY goes on behind the scenes, except for the contestants, producers and support personnel, or other REAL insiders.  And the producers probably have hundreds of hours of footage to work into the total of 15 or so hours that viewers see, so they can manipulate the story to say whatever they want it to say.

However, I for one believe that the show is made to be as real as possible, within the constraints set forth by the History Channel, show producers, the governments of the filming locations, liability insurance, lawyers, what viewers want to see, etc.  Any safety constraints are controlled by two factors: One, the medical personnel are required to check up on the contestants regularly so they don't end up with any deaths or permanent health problems or injuries (for example, frostbite and starvation).  And two, each contestant has a satellite phone so they can call and tap out or request help, as seen this season with the guy that has heart problems. As shown in a previous season, when snow conditions prevented the helicopter from flying at night, the support personnel are not immediately on hand to rescue a contestant who called for rescue (though this could be staged to increase the dramatic value). The show has been pretty up front with these two factors as far as I can remember.  I have no doubt that as soon as someone died, the show would be canceled completely.  No one is going to make money off a canceled show.

As far as getting into Canada during COVID restrictions; the locations are undoubtedly  chosen well in advance of filming in order to determine possible contestants, obtain proper licensing or permits for filming and land usage, arrange for the logistics of the entire filming process, determine specific locations for each contestant, and whatever else goes into the making of the show.  Therefore, there would have been contracts agreed upon between the entities involved, ie. History Channel and national and/or local governments involved in Canada; many high profile contracts have penalties for not upholding the agreement.  I do not know if this would apply to this particular situation, but I would not put it outside the realm of possibility. 

I would be lying if I said money had nothing to do with it; money had everything to do with it.  History wants to make money, contestants want to win money (Alone has FAR better odds of winning than the lottery or gambling, but I bet 98% of us have tried one or both).  I would be surprised if the contestants that don't win didn't receive at least some compensation, because how many people can afford to quit work for weeks or months at a time without at least some payout?

Another thing to consider would be the so called "boot camp" prior to filming, which could have been done in such a way that it counted as a quarantine period prior to entering Canada.  And if the contestants are considered "temporary employees" of History and History had prearranged assignments in Canada, or some such work-around to make them essential personnel, instead of tourists going to camp or hunt, then Canada would be obligated to allow them into the country.  That is just the way things are.  Also, I believe the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) covers intellectual property, so that might play a role as well.  Any decent lawyer could make that case.  Throw in some "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine", and its a deal.  That is just the nature of the beast.

As far as not being able to kill bears, if that is a local law or regulation, participants are obligated to follow such rules.  Half of the state in which I live now requires brook trout to be catch and release only; if I don't follow the rules, I may have to pay the price.  And I am not internationally televised.  So why would a tv show allow contestants to to break the law when everyone will see it?

But in the end, I am rooting for Clay Hayes; any time the general public is exposed to the wonderful world of traditional archery is a win in my book, and I think Clay Hayes is as good an ambassador of the sport as anyone.  There appears to be a deer getting smoked when the opening sequence runs; I hope Clay is the one who got it.  I start each episode knowing it is reality tv and to take it for what its worth; it is the only tv show currently that I care to watch each episode of.  I guess if I didn't enjoy the show, I would just not watch it and not care one way or the other about what other people think about it.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2021, 08:32:54 AM »
Back to the show; last week was a little bland, no one did anything exceptional and everyone just hung on. I see hunger taking out a few people in the next couple of weeks, lots of shelter building and not much foraging going on, it appears there are a few people who haven't eaten since they got there.

I like to watch Clay's updates after the weekly show on his youtube channel, it seems like he gives hints about the outcome at times but then dispels the possibility and keeps you guessing.

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2021, 09:08:28 AM »
i have been watching ( alone ) for quite awhile, its more fun now that we have one of our own (Clay) to ROOT for.  :thumbsup: ....( i guess it would have been legal to kill the cat) since he was going for his bow.
original register date- jan. 2010

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2021, 09:39:39 AM »
I suspect an iron clad confidentially agreement is a condition of being selected, I can't imaging anyone spilling the beans, it would cost them dearly.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2021, 12:04:10 PM »
Guys, take a deep breath, I was just alerted to this thread as I had no idea it was this far off topic.... If you don't want to talk about the show... 'A Tradganger that is bowhunting to survive" please don't post.

And, this is not a knife hunting forum either but we talk about them, just like much other stuff we use to hunt, i. e. tents, back packs, thermacells, flash lights.... and yes we drink coffee on hunts, and we cook on hunts and we cook what we kill, Sponsors of such are included.  And I'm very thankful to have them.

And I'll challenge to to find much politics here, other than this thread that got de-railed.

Again, take a deep breath and enjoy the day....Y'all are better than this.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2021, 12:32:34 PM »
Well Said, Terry!!!! Thank you!!

Still trying to figure out the fishing pole thing....  :dunno:

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »
Thanks a million, Terry.   :clapper: 
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2021, 01:22:24 AM »
Well Said, Terry!!!! Thank you!!

Still trying to figure out the fishing pole thing....  :dunno:

Perhaps they are trying to get more distance for a longer retrieve and to get to deeper water?
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2021, 03:48:11 AM »
I started this thread to cheer on one of our own brethren.  I know that some people are not up to date with what is going on, it's so easy to have things slip by, so I figured I'd put it out there.  You can watch or not watch, it's that simple.  I'm sorry I even started it.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2021, 09:06:14 AM »
   Al Dente, no need to apologize, you did nothing wrong by starting it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
I will tell you what amazes me, is that people that have been here for over 13 years enjoying this site and are not contributing members itch,  whine, and complain. Its like they think the admins work for them.  How pompas and selfish.  I am surprised the site hasn't been shut down for good over people like those. Pathetic.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2021, 01:06:27 PM »
I will tell you what amazes me, is that people that have been here for over 13 years enjoying this site and are not contributing members itch,  whine, and complain. Its like they think the admins work for them.  How pompas and selfish.  I am surprised the site hasn't been shut down for good over people like those. Pathetic.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I agree, let's put him in charge since 2003 and see how he does! 

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2021, 01:09:57 PM »
RJ,

Years ago when I was in the Marines, in an "undisclosed" country south of us... I had the pleasure of watching some of the local kids fishing. Fishing gear was expensive I assume? They would get a spool of line, and split it between them, each wrapping their line around a beer can. Tie on a hook, add a washer or nut for weight, or a stick for a bobber, and they were in business!!!

They would swing the business end around, then let it fly, while pointing the beer can in the direction it was going...
They could easily get as much distance as I could with a spinning rod!! Retreival was just as fast!! They would just hold the line in their fingers, and twirl the beer can around their string hand. Bait, was another interesting thing? They seemed to be able to sgroundge whatever they needed along the bank. Once they caught a fish, they used eyes, inerds, belly strips for bait. It sure was a hoot watching them!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©