3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder pain-my fix...for now  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder pain-my fix...for now
« on: June 29, 2021, 07:44:24 PM »
Shoulder pain- the bane of the older traditional archer. Mine started probably 10 years ago when I shot a 63# bow. I have since dropped all the way down to 40# and have killed elk with it so...very happy at that weight. Anyway, even at 40# my shoulder sometimes whines. I have found through trial and error (mostly error) that if I turn my draw hand sideways, that somehow takes pressure (more like a pinch) off my bow hand shoulder. I don’t know why. There must be some physiological reason.
I’ve been trying a myriad of different ways to release the string including a mechanical release (didn’t really like it), a “9” type release, a hook type release, etc. I think I found the one, at least until I find something better. Here’s a picture of what I’ve tried so far:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder pain-my fix...for now
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 07:47:46 PM »
The one on the far right is my favorite so far. It’s a cut off eye bolt that hooks on the string under your arrow:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »
When your index finger relaxes, the eye part of the bolt swings on your middle finger and allows the string to release. Here it is at full draw:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:51:35 PM »
Just starting to relax index finger:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »
String breaking free:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 07:53:56 PM »
This pic shows how the eye rotates out of the way:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
And... follow-through:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 08:13:54 PM »
As you can see, I use one stall on a glove to protect my index finger with this method. I hope this helps someone else out too as I have been able to shoot my recurve with less shoulder pain with this compared to shooting fingers.  BTW, I got the idea of using an eye bolt as a non-mechanical release from a video I saw on YouTube.  It's on the backyard bowyer's channel if you want to check it out.  He has several different non-mechanical release aids on there but, for me, this one seems to work the best.  It's gives a quiet, clean release because it swings out of the way where others that I have tried kind of pluck the string making it noisy.  Let me know if you have any questions about this.  I haven't been using it for too long, but so far, the only down side I can think of is that it would be super-cold in cold weather.  I guess I would just keep it in a pocket and slip my finger into it right before the shot if I was hunting in the cold.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 10:24:12 PM »
Thanks for posting this , I may give one of those eye bolt releases a try. Having pains has a way of taking the fun out of shooting.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 10:38:42 PM »
You’re welcome, Mike. Hope it helps.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
Well it probably doesn't help them shoulders, when you're the only guy in camp to kill an elk, and then insist on packing it down the mountain by your lonesome! :archer2: Some pretty impressive "tinkering" skills there buddy! McGyver ain't got nothing on you!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:31:04 PM by buckster »
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 09:41:07 PM »
That eye bolt release is creative thinking Doug! Very cool....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 11:36:06 PM »
Well it probably doesn't help them shoulders, when you're the only guy in camp to kill an elk, and then insist on packing it down the mountain by your lonesome! :archer2: Some pretty impressive "tinkering" skills there buddy! McGyver ain't got nothing on you!
Haha. You’re right, Barry. I knew though, that if I let you help me pack out my elk, you woulda carried the whole thing in 1 load, you beast! I miss Colorado elk camp. You guys were an awesome group!

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 04:13:53 PM »
Could there be a danger in developing a bone bruise with small contact area with the eye bolt on the middle finger?
Mine has gotten a bit tender after hundreds of shots. I imagine that the finger will toughen up after a few hundred more. Better to use it shooting my bow than other uses for that finger.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 10:01:07 AM »
Take it from me, don't wait.  Get the shoulder checked by a good ortho doctor.  I left mine go way too long due to my wife's issues and I ended up with a pronounced bone spur, detached ligament and small tear in rotator cuff.  Looking at 4 months of recovery, maybe more.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©